Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • 2017 Road World Champs thread (spoilers)
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

TTT’s out the way, Sunweb doing a surprising double with wins for the men and women.

ITT tomorrow, should be a good one (good preview here). In two minds about the course. Certainly not a typical one, quite short, and the big climb to finish and a bike change zone will mix things up a bit. Most reckon it’s a two way battle between Froome and Dumoulin. Froome certainly seemed to peak at the Vuelta, but will he have held his form. Dumoulin looks on form too and should be better rested. If I was a betting man I’d probably go for Dumoulin.

ITT ladies, probably van Vleuten, that climb will probably tip it in her favour over van der Breggen.

As for the road race, rolling course should break things up and make it a great race. Three in a row for Sagan possibly?

More preview here and here.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Dumoulin for the TT just so long as he goes to the bathroom before the race.
    Matthews/Sagan to sprint for the RR. (Don’t think Gaviria or Viviani will be able to hang in). Should be interesting, as GvA and Gilbert will have to try and get away as they can’t match the two favourites in a sprint.

kilo

Dan Martin for the road race for me

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ouch

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have to agree with Tony Martin about bike changes for the final climb. Seems wrong.

mrblobby
    Free Member

as GvA and Gilbert will have to try and get away

Belgium almost have too many options, be interesting to see how they play it tactically. Wellens for a breakaway win?

France look good too with both Alaphilippe and Gallopin.

Would have probably been a good opportunity for Valverde to finally win one too.

Marge
    Free Member

Speaking with my Belgian side:

Belgium will screw up (again) due to too many potential winners…
    Gilbert’s only chance is for it to be super hard from a long long long way out & awful weather.

van Avermaet will again be forced to play second fiddle to Sagan if the race style goes in his direction. They have very similar styles but Sagan just has that extra couple of % 🙁

Wellens will make a badly timed attempt to breakaway (though for once his methodology worked in Namur last week). Naesens &/or Teuns have both been brilliant at moments this year too and have the potential for the win.

For other teams:
    I’m sure valverde would have been strong favourite for this one. Trentin has looked good recently & I’d certainly be surprised if Matthews wasn’t there or thereabouts.

Team GB? hmmmm – hope for something good in the TT & forget about the road race 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are we doing spoilers/results here?

maxlite
    Free Member

Are we doing spoilers/results here?

If its what I’m thinking….amazing performance 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

no spoilers!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can’t edit it now but you’d have to be pretty dumb not to expect results chat, so spoiler away.

Oh and yes, cracking result. Multi discipline world champ too!

slowoldman

Looks a bit daft for a TT course. They should have used that hill as the finale in the road races.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If its what I’m thinking….amazing performance

It was. And it was!

mrblobby
    Free Member

A win!

van Vleuten winning the women’s as most predicted. Report here. Wouldn’t be a surprise to see her winning the road title too.

Senior men start times here.

And more on that bike change here. Most saying it’ll be 20 seconds quicker on the climb on a road bike so worth a change. Wet cobbles could throw up a few incidents too. Definitely not your typical world champs ITT!

Kryton57

So Froome off at 4pm UK. I’ll fire up Eurosport player!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like it’s going to be a bit wet there today too…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3161732

mrblobby
    Free Member

Early days but already seen some comedy bike changes.

Looks like the UCI hadn’t figured on two riders arriving at the bike change zone at the same time, they need to find another carpet quickly 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

Whole bike swap thing is a bit of a farce.
    They should have made the climb in the middle of the course so there would be a penalty for the flat run in if the rider chose to swap bikes. Or better yet just not allowed bike swaps.

dragon
    Free Member

Bike swaps should be banned full stop, even if you have mechanical IMO. (Wheel changes are fine though.)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is indeed a bit of a farce and I’d not be happy about it if I was one of the riders. World Champs maybe not the place to try something new for the first time 🙄

Quite interesting though. And it is quite a spectacle. Most so far seem to be choosing not to change.

Also getting quite dark with some rather menacing clouds overhead. Could well see someone from the middle of the start list coming out on top if it does tip it down.

Klunk
    Free Member

the final climb on the mens ITT is mental with huge crowds !

dragon
    Free Member

Surely the riders and teams should have to pick one bike most suitable for the course, if that’s your road bike with clip-on TT bars then so be it.

chrismac

Dont agree with them being able to change bikes during the race. Can you imagine if the win is determined by their ability to swap bikes rather than ride them. I presume they will have to get both bikes through scrutineering to make sure they are legal,

Klunk
    Free Member

let them do it but the bike must be in the hardest gear with no pushing to help get going. 😈

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kelderman off now. Could be in with a real chance, especially if the weather turns.

stevious

RE: the bike change. It is a bit of a farce but potentially the only way to be consistent with allowing bike changes for mechanicals – it’s be more of a farce if all the riders just happened to have a mechanical at the base of the climb. Allowing wheel changes only on a TT means that if you get a puncture you’ve lost.

RE: Bergen. What a place! Just look at it! If anyone’s tempted to go there then I recommend getting the fish.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kelderman takes the hot seat (with a bike change). Some great slo-mo chin dribble from Wilco 🙂

Kiryienka on the road.

dragon
    Free Member

Allowing wheel changes only on a TT means that if you get a puncture you’ve lost.

Tough, just look at Greg Minnaars last few DHraces he lost due to mechanical issues, it’s part of the sport.

lunge

Kiri is an outside shot for the podium in my eyes, he’s alright on a climb and, when on it, is very fast on the flat.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Side on shot of Kiryienka there, so relaxed, doesn’t even look like he’s trying. Only 8 seconds back on the first time check. Though with that hill it’s quite difficult to read much into the early time checks.

dragon
    Free Member

EBH on a compromised road bike, be interesting to see how he goes, albeit it’s not his focus.

AlexSimon

I can’t quite work out if the bike change thing is a genius plan a la F1 Pit stops. It’s definitely adding an extra element of interest!
    (not to mention something to fill the commentary 🙂 )

mrblobby
    Free Member

No bike change for Moscon and Kiri. Sky would have done their sums so likely no bike change for Froome.

Kiri looking pedestrian on the climb which probably means he’s flying.

What happened to Gougeard there? Some saddle problem. He was going really well.

alpin
    Free Member

**** me is that boring….! and how many cars?

i’m off out for a wheelie.

matts
    Free Member

Kiri looking pedestrian on the climb which probably means he’s flying.

Probably only doing 500W.

JRA.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ooof how close was that. Kiri into second by .23 seconds.

matts
    Free Member

Fluke me that was close for Kiri

AlexSimon

I’m crap at guessing what 10s of road looks like. I thought both of those were going to get first!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m crap at guessing what 10s of road looks like. I thought both of those were going to get first!

It’s deceptive as for pace both both were looking ok at 300m and 200m but lost it in the last 100m so it must ramp up a bit right at the finish.

Froome 18s down on Dennis at first check point. Dumoulin 9 seconds up on Dennis.

Getting quite wet in Bergen now.

matts
    Free Member

Is this weather going to turn the results upside-down?

If Dumoulin hasn’t gone off way too fast, this is over.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘2017 Road World Champs thread (spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.