Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 2017 Genesis Longitude
  • core

Hadn’t seen or heard anything about this until today really, I skimmed past it on website assuming it was aluminium, but I was wrong.

A bike mechanic friend has just got one for himself, very nice it looks too. B+ format, 29″ compatible. Steel frame and fork.

I know the original 29″/29+ was well received and sold out fast, but last years aluminium bike with stiff fork wasn’t so much. So someone at Genesis must have listened ‘coz here it is:

Complete bike at £999. Strong price for a rigid bike, but solid spec. 2×10, generally deore, thumbs up from me.
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/mountain-trail/longitude

Frameset £399.99
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/mountain-trail/longitude/longitude-fs

letmetalktomark

They work really well as 650b+ …. well the original does 😉

Loads of room all-round even with 3” NN on Hugo rims.

siontrack

My local are offering free skin wall upgrade at the moment…..
    Suits it nicely I reckons https://www.instagram.com/p/BL1XgDvAO6S/

fin25
    Free Member

My 2015 Longitude (and long is kinda the word) in 29 plus. Thought last year’s model was a quite flawed, but the new one looks very good, very much along the same lines as the original, but with 650 plus, which sort of makes sense, from a business point of view at least.

nixie

I’ve got a 2016 one and love it. I think this year’s one is missing since nice features (tapered head tube for one).

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Clara

The only criticism I have of my 2016 is the odd seatpost collar size means buying a qr clamp is proving very difficult. Apart from that it’s a lovely bike to ride and ride

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I know the original 29″/29+ was well received and sold out fast, but last years aluminium bike with stiff fork wasn’t so much. So someone at Genesis must have listened ‘coz here it is:

I had a short demo of last years and it was definitely steel. I read the thread/s where ppl got pants bunched up over alu fork and 27.5. Seems like they replaced the steel fork. To be honest I thought the ’16 was a lovely bike and with those size tyres I couldn’t see the fuss about either alu fork or 650b, it rode lovely. Anyone have any reports how those forks feel over longer trips/days?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Edit – thumbs up at lmttm’s Avid Speed Dials 🙂

I may have actually maybe accidentally at one point hand-polished mine with Autosol 😳

jimdubleyou

I just found my new Cycle to Work scheme bike.

Winner.

nixie

The only criticism I have of my 2016 is the odd seatpost collar size means buying a qr clamp is proving very difficult.

Its not an odd size 34.9 iirc. I just swapped the one form my other bike that had a dropper. Really easy to find the right size, Hope do one that fits.

Anyone have any reports how those forks feel over longer trips/days?

2.5 hours is the longest I’ve ridden it so far. Is fine with ESI silicone grips for that time period (WTD bridger @ 11psi on front). I did buy a chewy knukleball in the OO ‘sale’ to see if that is better than the current stiff alloy bar I have.

montgomery
    Free Member

I had a look at the 2016 model in a shop, but I like the look of this 2017 version more

When my current XL 26″ setup bites the dust, I realistically have to replace the frame, forks, headset, wheels & tyres, stem, possibly seatpost, and maybe the drivetrain. In the past my bikes have just evolved as frames broke and components wore out, so this 2017 Longitude looks like a good way to buy into at least some of the new standards, in a package I’d be happy enough riding away from the shop.

I like the fact they haven’t gone with the current 1x orthodoxy but, as mentioned above, it’s a pity about the straight headtube (I have no problems with straight steerers, it’d just be nice to have more choice on alternative forks).

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Sadly it’s not a standard Hope do. I’ve spoken to them. Its 34.1mm and nobody seems to make them.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/where-to-buy-the-elusive-341mm-seat-post-clamp

core

I was getting tempted by a 17 frameset, but have now seen an offer for a full 16 bike for £735. Only downside is alloy fork and 110mm spacing, meaning some possible harshness and I couldn’t plug my 29er wheel in, but upside is I could plug my 100mm forks and 29er wheel in due to tapered headtube.

17 frameset would be £400, b+ wheelset and tyres £275 minimum I guess , so you’re nearly at £700 there, though I have the rest of the parts required, but only as 1×9 which kind of renders it pointless as it’s bloody hilly where I live. Also kind of pointless if I only run 29″ wheels (got already) in short term as the plus tyres are what really appeal and I already have a 29″ hardtail.

coomber
    Free Member

Alpkit do a b+ wheelset for about £160 I think

core

£175 on offer, I’m guessing at tyres being £50 each. Plus valves, tape, sealant….

madxela
    Free Member

Marin Pine mountain – cheaper and fantastic!!

Tiger6791

Still no Crud Catcher bosses ❓

Nice to see it go back to Plan ‘A’

ampthill

I’m sure that on tyre this size fork flex is not a thing that could in reality be felt

burko73

any pics?

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Clara

Somewhere on Fan y Big. About 145 miles into a 3 day trek from Warminster, Wilts to Libanus in Brecon. I love the practicality of the bike. It’s fast too and tracks really well over the rough stuff. Riding the Gap decent fully laden wasn’t an issue…….it was as fun as my Nukeproof but there’s no way I’d have covered the sane distance so quickly on the Mega.

Does the alu fork effect the feel? No idea although with 2.8 tyres I think the difference would be barely noticeable. I do know that after 160 miles I wasn’t half as beaten up as I was expecting. I think it’s a fantastic bike that has really got me into the xc, bike packing and long long days in the saddle.

montgomery
    Free Member

Marin Pine mountain – cheaper

But only one chainring. Other than that, yes, it’s an alternative, as are some of the Surly bikes. But the Genesis is the one ticks most boxes for me.

jerrys
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a 2017 Longitude through work (15% discount and my willpower was weak). It’s my first mtb since my 1992 Kona Fire Mountain (which never really went far off road) so it’s uncharted territory to me :).

I’ve taken the standard bars off as they seemed to wide for me, and put on some Mary bars to try.

Hopefully get a few overnight trips on it next year.

burko73

Pine mountain fork looks wrong and it has fewer bottle cage/ anything mounts all round. Longitude just looks good for a do it all bike to me. Was interested in some inspiration with a few more readers bikes…!

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘2017 Genesis Longitude’ is closed to new replies.