Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 2015 Scottish Enduro Series
  • BoardinBob

First round kicks off this weekend at Inners. Who’s in?

We had a wee recce of the rumoured stages last weekend. Looks like the difference between the Lite and main category is the inclusion of Prospacker for those doing the full thing. Really wish I’d opted for light now!!! The weather looks to be kind though stuff was already muddy last weekend and 400+ tyres down it on Saturday should make things interesting on Sunday.

bigjim

Yeah I’m in for inners and soiling myself a little. Prospacker and the classic looked really heavily ridden last weekend so I reckon they’re in. I think I can figure out what most routes roughly are from the profiles they put on their facebook page today and one does tie in with the minch moor to bottom of prospacker from the altitudes.

I’d just like to apologise now to everyone behind me on those two stages! In fact every stage 🙂

BoardinBob

Alastair Lees into Mince Baby Mince is the stage with the big climb in the middle

mtbel
    Free Member

WTF would you enter an Enduro hoping it doesn’t have any nice semi-technical stages?

it’s your money, like.

bigjim

ah I thought it might be that, that is going to burn, my legs are usually on fire after the top bit of alistair lees alone.

there seems to be another stage off minch moor, maybe the xc route to the next fire road? would set things up for the classic as the next one anyway.

some kind of DH track mashup to end perhaps?

should be fun in a nuts kinda way!

bigjim

I’m going to ride in front of you GW

mtbel
    Free Member

Take warm clothing 😉

BoardinBob

WTF would you enter an Enduro hoping it doesn’t have any nice semi-technical stages?

it’s your money, like.

I see you’ve not lost your sense of humour. Didn’t you get banned from here?

jemima
    Free Member

I’m in. Where’s Prospacker? Did we ride it at last year’s April SES?

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Missing the first (local!) one which is a shame, do post up the stages on saturday so I can see what i’ve missed.

Enjoy!

poah
    Free Member

warm waterproof clothing required for this weekend

andeh

I’m in, hardtail category 😯

rickon
    Free Member

Prospacker was stage 3 of the EWS. Its off the fireroad just after the climb you do past the quarry.

Steep and twisty awesomeness.

andeh

So, how’s everyone feeling today?

I am so very achy, that place beat the crap out of me.

Hope the guy who came off on stage 2 is ok…..plus the bloke nursing a broken wrist at the bottom of 4, casually asking which was the best way down to the carpark.

jemima
    Free Member

Aye, pretty achy today here as well.
    I helped stretcher the injured guy out of Stage 2 which was tough work. His upper right arm is broken and possible dislocated elbow – big, big, nasty pain. Took far to long to mobilise the extraction of casualty in my opinion and MRT only had 2 half empty bottles of Entonox which he sucked dry before we got him to the Landy…
    In terms of my ride that knocked the wind out of my sails a bit (and ruined my arms), missed the start of 3 and rode the classic like a total jessie following face-to-tree interface in practice. Other than that, all good 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Took far to long to mobilise the extraction of casualty in my opinion and MRT only had 2 half empty bottles of Entonox which he sucked dry before we got him to the Landy…

One of the biggest problems with the current Enduro setup imo – very very limited marshal/medical cover but using the steepest trails available….hhhmmm

bigjim

Took far to long to mobilise the extraction of casualty in my opinion and MRT only had 2 half empty bottles of Entonox which he sucked dry before we got him to the Landy…

The Land Rover passed us as we finished stage 1, stage 2 was closed as we got to the top of it and they drove him down the hill in the silver van as were climbing to stage 5, apparently he had only just left in the ambulance when we finished up in the car park, must have been about 4 hours between the accident and him leaving in the ambulance?

andeh

I imagine that medical/marshal coverage is one of the major contributing factors towards the UCI refusing to support enduro. Limited practice time, vast area of trails to cover, highly technical DH courses ridden by competitors in XC kit…..it’s unsurprising they’re steering clear.

That said, I had a great day out and only, really, compete in enduro events at the moment.

bigjim

Yeah it was a good day out, thanks to the volunteers, marshalls and organisers!

andeh

Just realised, didn’t mean UCI, British Cycling.

BoardinBob

Stage 4 was a disaster for me. I was doing fine until the traverse on the classic. Managed that bit ok by staying wide but as soon as it turned left into the steeper section I fell to bits. I didn’t get a clean run at it in practice, and that was the first time I’d ever been down it, and I lost so much time there. I reckon I lost a minute just on that bit. Grr.

jemima
    Free Member

I don’t think many folk got down that bit cleanly Bob – other than the special few. I had ridden it before and was feeling ace after Prospacker (who comes up with trail names at Inners???) in practice. So glibly fired into it and smashed my head into a tree about 4 metres into the steep section. Wholly woosed out on the ‘race’ run after that… ho hum 🙂

BrickMan

Good weekend out that, never attended an Enduro before, and I think for a few riders that was their first, and even for some experienced folk it was pretty challenging, in terms of climbing and the mud chute on S2.

I was marshaling both days, saturday was pretty nasty for all who survived through it and sunday for the most part was pretty nice if a bit windy. Spirits on top, despite the wind and hail and que to get down S3 were really high and I think just about everyone enjoyed it, even if they were crying inside a little from all the climbing

Wheres best to bump photos upto, was there a FB page for the event?

bigjim

yeah stage 4 was a stinker for me too, I had bonked and just stopped on the steep lower bit for a bit as I couldn’t hold the brakes on any longer. Had a little rest and let my mate through! It was unrecognisable from the day before even, just choppy mud and roots!

bigjim

brickman there is a scottish enduro series facebook page, try that, should come up if you type it into the search bar thingy

Northwind

Spent the whole of sunday limping around the house and grumping 🙁 Not crash damage, just blew up my dodgy knee in practice.

Do you think the introduction of enduro lite is also being used as an opportunity to raise the bar for enduro hevy? It didn’t seem that way when it was pitched but that was a pretty full on weekend, in practice i found it harder than the EWS inners/golfy day tbh. That’s not a complaint exactly, just an observation…

It’d have been no fun at all evaccing someone out of the middle of prospacker, good effort from all involved. Quite a nasty combination, higher risk of a crash and terrible access. I helped get a walking wounded guy out of there once, that was hard enough.

grey

I was riding this in the lite class and was hating the race till i got stage one under my belt.
    Loved stage 3, four was shortened for us lites and was basically just the red trail.
    Stage five was awesome and my favourite of the day, despite being knackered.
    Oh and i recomend not riding an enduro with a pulled muscle from falling down stairs the day before 😆 .

BrickMan

@NW, I probably met you on saturday on the top, bad knee chat? If not, you weren’t the only one 😉

will look for that FB page, cheers.

I don’t have any experience with Enduro to really comment, but I can see the enduro ‘lite’ category being there maybe not to ‘up’ the game of the full fat course, but allow more folk in at a lower technical ability to get in on some of the action and actually stand a chance of winning something, not being absolute last on a list of 3-500 competitors?

As for Evac, medic’s were guided to the right place very quickly after the incident, but its remoteness makes communications tricky, though in that instance that wasn’t a factor, getting a casualty down pro-spacker after 300+ riders have been down it twice is an utter mission as all those on hand will have witnessed.

jemima
    Free Member

I was wondering last week if they’d use the opportunity of Enduro Lite to make Enduro a bit tougher.
    In terms of figures this race had an extra 450ft of climbing compared to SES2 (Inners) last year and was about a mile longer. So only a wee bit tougher.

In terms of the stages I would say that they were within the normal range of what I’d expect from the series last year. Probably at the upper end of the range in terms of tech and steep but there or thereabouts.
    However, if I was new to it and feeling tentative I think I’d be a bit aghast entering Lite and then being sent down stage 2!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How long, time wise, for each stage roughly?. I only ask, as my local trails are being used for the Largs round. Admitedly, it’s not for another 7 months, but at present, I can’t think of a single descent that would take good riders more than 2 minutes odd.

A lot of work ahead….

BoardinBob

The quickest riders were averaging 5 minutes per stage

Mid pack = 7 minutes

Bottom end = 15 minutes

mc
    Free Member

Evac of casualties on track is nearly always time consuming, and access to prospacker is probably not any harder than most tracks at Innerleithen. Last casualty I helped to stretcher out of Plora Craig took a couple hours, so a time frame of hours is not uncommon for people unable to walk out.

However there were a couple reports of riders forcing past the casualty before someone finally stopped to help.

BoardinBob

Do you think the introduction of enduro lite is also being used as an opportunity to raise the bar for enduro hevy?

The guy that won the Lite category is taking the piss. Riding for Knolly bikes and his time would have put him in 50th overall in the full category!

jemima
    Free Member

Interesting re Largs – I was wondering about that as parents-in-law live in Gourock and I was checking Strava heat maps and segment explorer to see if I could find any trails and there’s not a jot I can see! I assume your local trails are in/around Kelburn? Some good contours in there like…

I assume the guy riding for Knolly who won Lite was staying at Glentress wigwams. I was chatting with them on Saturday evening and they only decided to enter a few days before the event so no full-Enduro spaces left so just went for lite anyways. So not really taking the piss…

And I wasn’t complaining about the time it took to get the casualty out – more the time it took to get organised and ready to get him out including waiting for another half bottle of entonox to be ferried up the hill before we could start to move him. When someone is in fairly extreme pain, white, shaking etc I get a bit anxious to get them to hospital fairly promptly…

bigjim

are the results up?

BoardinBob

medic’s were guided to the right place very quickly after the incident

Not according to the marshall at the bottom of the stage. I got caught up in the crash and I reckon it took us 20 minutes to get down past the injured guy and on to the end of the stage. At the bottom of the stage the marshall was asking riders if they’d seen the ambulance. Someone said it was up at the top of the “out of stella” climb and they were sitting having a cup of tea. The marshall asked riders to go up the climb and tell the ambulance to come down asap. The ambulance eventually passed us about 5 minutes later. After that they would have had a considerable climb to get to the crash site.

legend
    Free Member

The guy that won the Lite category is taking the piss. Riding for Knolly bikes and his time would have put him in 50th overall in the full category!

That’s actually quite funny, hadn’t considered the sandbagging opportunities 🙂 Although i’d still get whooped anyway

bigjim

gadzooks I’d looked high and low for the results, ta

I heard that the walky talky (not sure of the grown-up word) people hadn’t supplied the organisers and they only had 12 of them between 35 marshalls or something, no idea if that is right or not. The guy in teh silver van asking us to clear the fire road for the ambulance looked pretty stressed anyway!

BrickMan

Not according to the marshall at the bottom of the stage. I got caught up in the crash and I reckon it took us 20 minutes to get down past the injured guy and on to the end of the stage. At the bottom of the stage the marshall was asking riders if they’d seen the ambulance. Someone said it was up at the top of the “out of stella” climb and they were sitting having a cup of tea. The marshall asked riders to go up the climb and tell the ambulance to come down asap. The ambulance eventually passed us about 5 minutes later. After that they would have had a considerable climb to get to the crash site.

First medic approached from the fire road just below mid-stage, the second attempted from the bottom a fair bit later AFAIK. First medic was there as sharpish as possible on that terrain.
    There was a lot of Chinese whispers out of some of the riders, one said there was blood on the trail above where the casualty was, so you have to take hearsay with a pinch of salt sometimes, although almost all riders were very helpful* 🙂

* 2 or 3 slipped through and didn’t’ offer assistance.

Run times, I saw low 3 mins for a few stages for the fast guys. Mostly in the 3.5-6 min mark, stage 2 would have been in the 5-6 min mark for the fast guys?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘2015 Scottish Enduro Series’ is closed to new replies.