Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2015 Pikes – Damper position setting query -does yours make any difference?
  • hillsplease

Afternoon

Have got some new 29er Pikes and jolly impressive for blatting downhill they are too. 2 weeks in, very fond of them.

However, the damper settings, 3 off top RH leg, make no difference at all i.e. lockout is no different to ride or fully open. Is this a common thing and is it back to the shop for a warranty repair?

For an £800 fork RRP it’s a poor do.

Thanks

Paul

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There is probably nothing wrong with them, the settings do make some difference but only a slight one at best. I don’t tend to bother with the climb mode – it doesn’t fully lock out, just give you more compression damping, as I find the front doesn’t bob unless i’m peddling out of the saddle. I tend to use the fully open mode for really bumpy downhill trails and it does give a bit more responsiveness and plushness, but not a night and day difference by any stretch. I find the trail mode is such a good all round setting it spends most of its time in that mode.

st

I noticed a discernable difference with my RCT3s and likewise on 2015 Revs.

As mentioned already bear in mind that it is an increase in compression damping and not a traditional lockout though.

svalgis
    Free Member

I never use trail but between open and climb there’s a big difference, certainly noticable whether I’m riding or just compressing the fork.

hillsplease

Thanks fellas – it looks like a duffer then. Even if it’s just a compression setting adjust the difference is sufficiently slight that on road or DH in the Peak I can’t tell a difference. I’d like to think after the thick end of 20 years of riding I’d be able to tell, but wondered if the compression adjust was fundamentally pointless.

Helpfully the manual tells you nothing other than how to fit the skewer and that maintenance should be by someone qualified or you’ll die. That last bit might be an exaggeration.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Is this a common thing and is it back to the shop for a warranty repair?

No, and yes they need to go back. You should feel a difference between each setting.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

agreed, I found I need slighly less air in them but the damper settings really work

clubby

Yes and yes.
    Similar thread last weekend, mine went back on Tuesday.

hillsplease

Thanks all. Boxed up and off to the PO with them soon as I can.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2015 Pikes – Damper position setting query -does yours make any difference?’ is closed to new replies.