Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 2015 – Hebden, Lakes, Scotland…. Ideas, locations, accomodation please.
  • weeksy

Alright guys,

Usually we do the Morzine thing. But one of the lads has suggested going a bit more natural and heading Oop North.

Plan would be for example,
    Day 1, Hebden
    Day 2, Lakes
    Day 3, Scotland
    Day 4, Scotland
    Day 5, Lakes
    Day 6, home.

So, I need the ‘where’ and the logistics really. Bit of natural, bit of trailcentre is cool, epic mountains, views etc are a must.

Help me out then please gang.

mrhoppy

I was mulling something similar over and ended up with a day in the Lakes then up to do Kinlochleven, Kintail, Torridon, Cairngorms, Tweed Valley, Lakes and home.

grum
    Free Member

I can guide you round Hebden – not sure about where to stay though.

Sounds like you’re going to be doing a lot of driving – you could easily spend all 6 days in the Lakes. Most of the best natural stuff in Scotland is quite a way away IME.

weeksy

I expect nothing less than to have you as our guide mate! You were already allocated.

Never ridden in the lakes. We wouldn’t get bored?

grum
    Free Member

Ah ok, no worries!

Depends really – I seem to remember you guys were moaning about there being rocks on the trails at BPW so you might not like the Lake District (or Hebden). 😛

From Hebden you could go and do a ride in the Dales and/or try Stainburn – then on to the Lakes.

weeksy

I only complained about rocks when I tried the zesty!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Grum + 1. A week in the lakes would be fantastic. Way, way too much driving on mrhoppys suggestion, sorry.

weeksy

More details then. I assume the Lakes covers a fair sized area.

danti

You could always do a day in the Howgills on the way to/from the Lakes.
    Great “natural” riding and less rocks

weeksy

What is that then mate?

boxelder

What is that then mate?

Howgills – (not my pic)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

More details then. I assume the Lakes covers a fair sized area.

Not really, it’s pretty compact, so no real long drives like we have in Scotland, but oodles of awesome riding, great pubs and nice wee towns. Buy the Lake District Mtb guidebook, and fill yer boots.

justinbieber

Week in the lakes would keep you busy:
    Day 1, kentmere. Nan bield, gatesgarth, garburn pass.
    Day 2, coniston – Walna scar etc
    Day 3, Ambleside – Loughrigg terrace, elterwater, iron keld, etc etc
    Day 4, glenridding – Helvellyn
    Day 5, Ullswater singletrack, boredale hause and Angle tarn
    Day 6, Borrowdale bash.

Should keep you busy, and give you a great overview of the different types of riding (rocks) on offer.

ton

hebden, then stay at slaidburn yha
    howgills, coniston yha
    coniston area, coniston yha
    helvellyn area, helvellyn yha
    skiddaw round, keswick yha
    whinlater, keswick yha

a weeks riding and accomodation sorted.

danti

Sedbergh area, plenty of testing hills including the calf and a loop around using Borrowdale Beck.
    Far less people than the Lakes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sedbergh area, plenty of testing hills including the calf and a loop around using Borrowdale Beck.
    Far less people good biking than the Lakes.

FTFY

justinbieber

At this time of year, I wouldn’t be bothered about having to avoid people. Mid week it’ll be practically deserted in the lakes.

weeksy

Don’t need to worry about YHA, happy to pay for nice hotels.

onehundredthidiot

If you’ve only got to days in Scotland then stay in the lakes or don’t head north of tweed valley. Just got my level2 so happy to show you round some stuff assuming dates etc match.

ton

Don’t need to worry about YHA

staying in yha’s with a bunch of mates is a key part of the trip.

weeksy

Hmmmm maybe for you matey, I’m more a creature comforts kind of bloke, I want my own room, shower, TV, internet and a nice pillow.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d bypass Hebden completely and head straight to the Lakes for a couple of days, then move into the Scottish Borders and do a couple of trail centres maybe and then head into the Highlands for a couple of days. Given the choice out of a day in Hebden or doing some proper mountains in the Lakes, I’d be straight across to the Lakes.

Mackem

For the borders the camping pods at Dalbeattie and Peebles are great.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    Hmmmm maybe for you matey, I’m more a creature comforts kind of bloke, I want my own room, shower, TV, internet and a nice pillow.

As you’re such a diva, probably be best to actually organise your own trip, instead of asking on here, darling.

weeksy

Lol@diva because I want my own bedroom.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nope, just your general attitude on this thread, and apparent inability to search the net for what you need.

Never ridden in the lakes. We wouldn’t get bored?

As an example. Really?.

weeksy

I’m not sure I follow you, but you carry on getting your knickers in a twist if you like fella.

I’ll keep asking for advice. Searching the www doesn’t give the real world rider feedback that this place often can.

br
    Free Member

The Lakes has good riding, but when are you going – as it can be very busy.

+1 Scottish Borders – I live here 🙂

martinhutch

Your plan A involves a lot of driving backwards and forwards – I’d be tempted to stay in one area and enjoy your riding/beers there without knowing you’re driving for a few hours that evening.

You’d easily keep yourself busy and happy for five days in the Lakes, weather permitting of course, with some decent-sized full day rides.

Grizedale Parkamoor/Torver/Seathwaite/Walna Scar/Tilberthwaite Grizedale
    3 Passes from Staveley
    Helvellyn or High Street
    Borrowdale Bash + extras

Just four/five obvious ones.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No twisted knickers here. Just get out and ride somewhere, take a gamble, do a bit of planning, and have a beer. Do you ask your workmates his best to pleasure the good lady?.
    Some of the best rides I have had are following my nose, or a dashed line on a map. All part of the fun.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘2015 – Hebden, Lakes, Scotland…. Ideas, locations, accomodation please.’ is closed to new replies.