Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)
  • 2015 Croix de Fer 1st ride (at last…)
  • MrOvershoot

Shame though Pete as I thought you had found me some nice width bars 😉

Like you I swapped the FSA cranks almost straight away but I put a triple Sora on as I don’t like the big jump of compact units, I’ve probably ridden it more than any of my other bikes since 2009 and always take it on holiday with me.

robdob
    Free Member

Pootling is the best thing ever! I am of the strong opinion that touring, the type where country lanes, old railway lines and coastal paths are mixed with tea shops, chippies and a warm B+B at the end, averaging 10mph and no more, are the future. 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

Yes, 50cm is standard. It’s only a 52cm frame. I’m putting some cheap Planet X compact drops on, 54cm wide. I did find some 56s somewhere

not being arsey but i’ll bet hard cash that this shoudl read. 40, 52, 44, 46.

46 is about the widest drop bar you’ll find. I love my vaya for very similar reasons.

MrOvershoot

Tom we covered that 20 minutes ago 5 post up ^^^^^^^^^

MrOvershoot

robdob – Member

Pootling is the best thing ever! I am of the strong opinion that touring, the type where country lanes, old railway lines and coastal paths are mixed with tea shops, chippies and a warm B+B at the end, averaging 10mph and no more, are the future.

That is my thought to, I only get to go mountain biking at night these days and local is fine for that, so for getting a good ride in and a bit of a chat with mates Pootling is the answer 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, there’s loads of quiet lanes, paths and tracks round here that I could go exploring… well, that’s the plan!

darbeze
    Free Member

My Croix weighs 23lb 3oz with pedals (Shimano M520 SPD).

Mavic Aksium disc wheels
    SRAM Force shifters
    Avid BB7 road cable disc brakes
    SRAM Rival 50/34 crankset
    Tiagra 12/30 cassette
    Challenge 33c Cyclocross tyres
    Madison Flux saddle
    Condor carbon seatpost
    3T stem and 44cm wide flat top drop handlebars

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes, there’s loads of quiet lanes, paths and tracks round here that I could go exploring… well, that’s the plan!

Should see if I can get over your way for some enduravelpootle some time!

It’s a great way to ride, takes me back to my early days on MTBs. Was living in the middle of the Plain at the time, and would just ride wherever the mood took me. “Oooh, I wonder what’s along that lane/path/trail” sort of thing.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Peter on a tangental note, guess where the 2015 Tour Etape route goes. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Flashy, I was toying with the idea of posting up a grrrrravel pootle at some point, but I’m not 100% sure what people would expect, plus I need to sort the route first. I’ll see…..

Geetee, go on then, let us in on the secret. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We’re sort of getting some momentum towards a grrrrravel pootle via the Hampshire thread.

Tough thing is trying to work out the exact definition of grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrravel. For some, it’s just a smooth towpath, for others it’s CX bike terrain. I think I’m somewhere in between for the most part!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well it’s not remotely a secret, but it does have your name on it Peter:

It goes up the Col de Croix de Fer

(BTW did I see you in the Sony RX gallery on Flickr?)

jerrys
    Free Member

As we are having a cdF love-in. I thought that I would add a gratuitous picture of mine 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

this was mine before I stripped it down – 22.5lbs with pedals :

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My mate has a croix as well (I bought mine after trying his – even though it was a stock/heavy one), and I bought him this shirt and hat for his last birthday (hat came free) :

ampthill

If I do get one of these here Pootlers I’ll need low ratios.

Might be my weight, might be high cadence, certainly not being very fit

So assuming the bike I buy is like a CDA sora 9 speed

If I do a triple conversion I’ll need a new chain set and left hand shifter and a new front mech? (oh and a longer rear mech)

Could i use a MTB or treking chainset as long as its 9 speed

Or put a 36 tooth block on and MTB mech

I can’t find a 9 speed 28 42 chainset. Is that something that no one makes, in 9 speed

cinnamon_girl

I’ve had a triple put on my CdF, all new parts and done properly. Run a triple on everything cos it’s hilly Darn Sarf. 🙂

Edit: CdF’s are 10 speed, or they were.

thomthumb
    Free Member

28-42 chain set. You have a few options. 74 BCD inner triple with outer ring in the bin. careful as some newer (shimano) triples have a bigger bcd
    Middle burn do one
    Surging have OX601D
    Rene herse
    Velo orange

robdob
    Free Member

A pootle route should link up as many tea shops and nice benches to sit on as possible.

There should be no sweating or over exertion of any kind.

Some sort of pannier should be used to carry emergency ?cake.

Anyone who brings a stove and a kettle to make a fresh cup of tea should be held aloft on people’s shoulders and given the title of Lord of the Pootle. The prize should be extra ?cake. Or chips.

robdob
    Free Member

My C2C pootle was perfect.

There was a lot of this:

And this.

And this.

All done slowly along lanes like this

ahwiles
    Free Member

***king awesome!

edit: sorry about the swearing.

that looks brilliant.

ampthill

ThomThumb thanks

Cinnamon Girl

are you sure? CDF isn’t an abbreviation in 2015 its a model

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genesis/croix-de-fer-10-2015-adventure-road-bike-ec073913

I think Sora is 9 speed

Tiagra is 10 speed

isitafox
    Free Member

I got the same bike a few weeks back, went down a different route with the setup though as I hate drop bars! Loving it so far and I’ve never been one for skinny wheels, the only things I’m still to do are mudguards as it’s a commuter for work, bottle cage and a new saddle as compared to the Superstar Peak on my SC this one is stupidly flat and hard!

jerrys
    Free Member

CG

My 2013 CdF is definitely a 9 speed Sora :).

The 2013 full fat Croix is a 10 speed (Tiagra)

Same for 2014 models.

2015 range is expanded more = 4 models IIRC

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Flashy, yes it needs to be done. I’m thinking the route would involve some tarmac, as traffic free as possible, lanes and cycle paths, and some fairly gentle off road, tow paths, tracks, more cycle routes. I’d look at Sustrans and see what’s in the area personally, I’ve done a lot of their routes and they’re generally lovely.

CG, “CDF” is now an abbreviation. They’re all “Croix de Fer” now. Mine is the lowest in the range, the 10. Then it goes 20, 30 etc. mines 9sp Sora. Which is perfectly adequate for anyone.. 🙂
    (and certainly the best looking one in the range)

Geetee, I didn’t even KNOW there was a Col de Croix de Fer! I NEED one of those jerseys though!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is disappoint….

That’s a Rapha jersey isn’t it? I can neither afford or fit into one of those. 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I didn’t even KNOW there was a Col de la Croix de Fer!

Go and sit in the corner and think about what you’ve done.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m not French or a roadie. I’m an English mountainbiker. So shoot me why not.

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can be arranged. 😉

jerrys
    Free Member

Maybe those of us from the Sarf should all go en masse to france and cycle up the Col?

cinnamon_girl

Sorry chaps, am obviously not keeping up! 😳

theotherjonv

I need to study your route Peter – living Guildford and working Farnham, I commute on the road sometimes but I wouldn’t mind a gravel commute for winter months, that is short and direct enough but avoids traffic along the normandy-ash road in the dark and wet.

I tried the xmas pie trail a few weeks back and got lost – started off on old railway but that ran out into an overgrown swamp. I retraced to a bridge that put me back on the trail eventually crossing the wanborough road, then somewhere after that I lost signs again and ended up hacking round some fields eventually coming out onto the wood street road but quite a way east of the white hart / village green, and was way too muddy given this was before the wetness started!!

ampthill

😳

All the steels are that are croix der Fer

The alloy ones are CDA

But CDA isn’t the initials of Croix de Fer.

Featuring another dyslexic moment

iainc

Went to the launch night of the 2015 Genesis range tonight at SprocketsCycles in Kilmarnock. Superb looking kit and scrummy sausage rolls and tasty beer 🙂

The Croix De Fer 30 is a peach, IMO looks better than the Stainless Steel one and with Shimano chain set rather than FSA. Only criticism was that the 105 front mech at the cable clamp bolt is awfy close to the rear tyre when on outer ring but apparently the frame was pre production and factory ones have slightly longer chainstays.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

JonV, there’s a sign that’s very very easy to miss! As you go towards Guildford through Chrismas Pie village you cross the main road, then bear right as the road goes left. It turns to gravel road and buried in the hedge on the right is a sign pointing left. Otherwise you go up a gravel road hill and into farmland which eventually does turn into a bog, yes.

theotherjonv

Yep, with a newish / renovated barn on the right iirc. That’s where i went wrong, looking at your map.

After that, is it well signed?

The other bit where i deviated from your route, is along the disused railway. I went further along, as far as Whitegate copse, before retracing to Drovers way. Should have turned instead at Bin Wood, by the looks of it. Is that an obvious turn, because the railway line is still flat and inviting at that point?

failedengineer

an excuse for a piccie of mine

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Jon, To be honest I can’t remember any other signs as I’m not really looking for them!

jimmers
    Free Member

Hi Pete,
    I’ve got a CDA 2015 model and I am in between sizes. My road bike is a 52 and the CDA is a 52. Though I could probably ride a 50. If i may ask what is the reach from nose of saddle to handlebars compare between your road bike and your Genesis?

The Genesis fits well though got the saddle forward to max.

Cheers,

James

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What size tyres can the croix take now ?

I just fitted some 40c WTB Nanos and I am very impressed. Had 33c Maxxis Raze but these are much less sketchy in the mud and sand, and as fast or maybe faster at 35psi tubeless.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘2015 Croix de Fer 1st ride (at last…)’ is closed to new replies.