Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • 2014 rockshox pike problems/advice
  • mountainlover
    Free Member

If you totally empty both chambers and pump straight up to say 80psi without cycling the fork, the -ve spring won’t have had a chance to fill up so the initial stroke will be stiff, as you pass the port some air will go through, you might be able to hear it I can’t remember, and after a few cycles the inital stroke should feel easily activated because the -ve spring is helping over that first bit of travel.

Thanks, I will try that. But I think it works as described by you: The fork goes down really easy on the first bit of travel. When i push it a little with my hand it goes down to around the 10%-mark. After that I have to push harder. But I will compare it as you described.

When you filled in the damper, was the rod pulled all the way out? If you miss this, when the rod is fully extended it will create a vacuum in the damper which opposes the airspring in the other leg, causing the sag you have noticed.

Were the air and damping leg shafts fully extended when you slid the lowers on?

Also, with the lowers off, does the damping leg shaft extend fully out and stay out?

I can’t remember if I fully extended the damper before filling it. But I am pretty sure I did. Anyway, when the lowers are off, the damper fully extends and does not suck back in. It also doesnt suck back in when I unlock it by hand (my RL is in lockout when I take the remote off). In that position, the damper shaft is a fair bit longer than the air shaft.

What I do know for sure: When I installed the lowers, both the air shaft as well as the damper shaft were extended. I filled the air shaft beforehand so that it doesnt acidentally move back in when installing the lowers.

By the way: Something else with my damper may be wrong. I tought it was leaking but I am still not sure. When I took the lowers back off (couple of days after installing them, no riding during that time) it seemed like there was more oil in the damper side of the lowers than on the air side. Plus, it was leaking oil trough the middle of the hollow damper-bolt at the bottom. This would mean there would actually be two leaks…strange.

Then I had the lowers off for a while and let them stand/hang on the workbench for a while. At first there was some oil under them but later not anymore. So i think i acidentally got some lowers-oil in the damper shaft when I filled the lowers with a syringe, which then made its way out over time. The part that closes off the damper chamber (where the internal snap ring is) was dry during that time. So probably there is no leak…great.

But the lockout still seems strange. It seems to give the fork too much travel. There is a noticable difference between locked and open, locked just doesnt feel firm enough. (I checked the motion control thing. It touches the oil – so that should be OK but just to make sure i may refill it again.)

Anyway, I think that this (possible) problem could not cause my air-side problem, I guess, right?

bigjim

If you’ve had a damping oil leak and lost a few ml you will have a mushy lockout with a few mm travel before resistance.

One other thing that might cause your sag is putting a floating piston back on the air shaft upside down, it’s quite easy to do as the pictures are sometimes not clear on the service guides. It might be something to check anyway, I’m not saying it would definitely cause sag, but might. Or maybe something else is on the air spring assembly slightly out of order like the big bumper o ring

mountainlover
    Free Member

One other thing that might cause your sag is putting a floating piston back on the air shaft upside down, it’s quite easy to do as the pictures are sometimes not clear on the service guides.

Yes, the pictures in the manuals are really confusing. As for the Revelation – at least for my specific version – they dont show the right parts. I had the Floating Seal Head in there the wrong way after the first time I had it open. But now (and before that) it’s right. I checked this website where you can order a new air shaft. I assembled it as the picture shows:

But regarding the sag it didn’t actually change anything.

Im am not at my bike until the weekend. But then I will doublecheck and maybe take a pic of my airshaft. Maybe you can notice anything thats wrong.

rtwlynn
    Free Member

Hi, I have a Pike RC 27.5 that came on my 2015 specialize enduro. I am having the issue where the fork will not equalize which I notice because slowly overtime I lost 1.5 inch of travel. I tried many of the suggestions in this thread and the only way I could release the air was to take the air shaft out. I followed the manual except I just cleaned everything out (as some suggested in various posts), I did not replace any parts, I cleaned, greased and reused them. It is still doing the same thing, if I put air in the negative chamber 9as per the manual when putting back together0, it will not allow me to pull the air shaft out and the air remains trapped and the shaft rebounds back up when you release it. So, I took it apart and put it all back together leaving the shaft fully extended but now when I pump it up it will not read any higher than 55-60 psi (I tried 2 shock pumps) with the air shaft fully extended and no tokens. I’ve taken it apart a couple of times and double checked the manual; still doing the same. Any suggestions? My thoughts are to buy the air shaft rebuild kit and go from there. I don’t want to send for warranty as I will be bikeless for too long. Grrrrr. Any help is much appreciated!

mountainlover
    Free Member

I got an update to my problem: I cheked my fork again on the weekend. I am pretty sure that the equalization of air works. To be really sure I even tried it once without any grease on the air-side. I just lubricated the seals slightly with oil. The fork still doesnt come back out. But from how it is behaving, it seems like the airflow works (I sometimes hear the equalization, air comes out of the previously empty negative side once the fork went into travel, and it feels soft when I push it down).

When i didnt have any air in the fork and the top cap was taken off, I noticed that even then its hard to get the full travel. I have to pull and it doesnt stay extended, always goes back to where it was in my first pic above. So the only time it really fully extends (my second pic above) is when the positive chamber is filled with air and when i then elt air out of the negative (“hidden”) valve. This even works when there was no air on the negative side (afer reassembling it). So i think, full travel is only acchieved when the positive air is strong enough to compress the rubber parts on the air shaft in order to press it further down (i.e. against the snap ring).

I guess, thats why it doesnt come fully out after engaging travel, as the top thing of the air shaft is already past the equalization dimple at that point. Is that normal?

So, I took it apart and put it all back together leaving the shaft fully extended but now when I pump it up it will not read any higher than 55-60 psi (I tried 2 shock pumps) with the air shaft fully extended and no tokens.

Could it be that some seal is pinched or slightly damaged, so that it doesnt stand up to pressures above 60 psi? With the lowers taken off, do you hear/feel air going out whil you pump it up? Maybe try it in water (like when you try to find a hole in a hose).

bigjim

When i didnt have any air in the fork and the top cap was taken off, I noticed that even then its hard to get the full travel. I have to pull and it doesnt stay extended, always goes back to where it was in my first pic above.

I wonder if something is the wrong way around on the air spring or something. Are you sure they are supposed to be set at 130mm and you aren’t looking at the wrong scale?

@rtwynn I don’t fully understand what is happening to yours but a good local bike shop or sending it to somewhere like loco tuning should resolve it

mountainlover
    Free Member

I wonder if something is the wrong way around on the air spring or something. Are you sure they are supposed to be set at 130mm and you aren’t looking at the wrong scale?

I assembled everything as shown in the Rock Shox Manual. There its all clear except for the floating seal head. I put that in as shown in the picture above. But I also had it in the other way after the first time I had it open…didnt change anything tho. So I think, everything sould be in right order.

I am reading the right, 130, scale. And I also double checked with a ruler. It only comes out to about 125-127. But it is a 130 fork. I think it comes out too far when I let the air out of the negative chamber. I guess it should be somwhere inbetween, like just above 130. Really strange.

I’m also not totally sure if it has always been like that. But I suppose it hasn’t, as I think I would have noticed when I first got the bike and adjusted the sag…

damascus
    Free Member

My rockshox revelation 29er dual position fork has just developed this. I serviced them before doing the pedal North c2c and they worked perfectly. When I got back I cleaned my bike and turned it upside down briefly.

After I turned it over I noticed the lockout had stopped working and I had fork suck. I let all the air out but I could not compress the fork past the last 2 or 3 cm.

Before I turned it over I was getting full travel as I wasn’t travelling particularly light on the c2c.

I’ve tried the zip tie trick which strangely fixed the lockout issue to a degree (trail mode feels the same as lockout) but I still cannot get full travel and they still have fork suck.

I will drop the lowers off again and give them another service.

Do you think one of the seals has gone which has caused the problem whilst upside down? Is it worth replacing them all?

Thanks

mountainlover
    Free Member

I have some news. First I took the bike to an LBS. They said, everything is fine with my fork. But they weren’t really convincing…

Then I e-mailed the manufacturer (which is also the seller) the description and my pics. They then called me and suggested to send it in for warrenty (they will forward it to Sram). So I am excited what’s gonna happen when I send the fork there next week. I will let you know once I got my fork back…

Do you think one of the seals has gone which has caused the problem whilst upside down?

Maybe it’s hydrolock from a leak in the damper? Check if there is excessive oil on the damper-side of the lowers. But this wouldn’t have anything to do with turning the bike upside down, I suppose…

mountainlover
    Free Member

I have just one more question:

Maybe some of you guys could meassure their solo air forks and tell me how far the fork comes out and how much travel the fork should have (e.g. mine comes out around 125-127mm and its a 130 fork).

Thanks!

mountainlover
    Free Member

Then I e-mailed the manufacturer (which is also the seller) the description and my pics. They then called me and suggested to send it in for warrenty (they will forward it to Sram). So I am excited what’s gonna happen when I send the fork there next week. I will let you know once I got my fork back…

Its not quite back yet, but its on its way. Sram didnt repair anything.

I sent it in for nothing 🙁 Since I expected that Sram would maybe deny warranty work because I opened the fork, I explained everything I did with the fork in detail before sending it in and they said it falls under the warranty. Even called the Sram Service Center, which said that my problem may not actually be a problem but that they are happy to take a look at it if I send it in via my shop.

Now when it got there, they told me there is a failure and my warranty is void because I opened it multiple times and apparently did something wrong?! Up to now I wasnt told what was actually wrong with the fork. They only asked me to pay 100 € for a service, which I denied. Great communication!

Just strange that the problem was there before I first opened the fork…

So I guess I will just keep using the fork and have to trust those who say that there is no problem and everything is within its tolerances…

Btw, it would be great to get some responses to this question:

Maybe some of you guys could meassure their solo air forks and tell me how far the fork comes out and how much travel the fork should have (e.g. mine comes out around 125-127mm and its a 130 fork).

Maybe there is actually nothing wrong with the fork (like even the guy at the Sram Hotline suggested). But then it would be strange for Sram to ask for 100 € for repair (which sounds more like some of the Fox-complaints I read 😉 ).

bigjim

Sram didnt repair anything.

I sent it in for nothing

My experience too sadly!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Warrantied my fork because of a failed charger damper and it came back five weeks later from Fishers with stick down as well. They had jammed the solo air spring full of grease – maybe 10ccs in the positive sprig!

Fishers/Sram are complete chumps – if you insist on running rock shox stuff just be prepared to pay to have it serviced and repaired by loco/tf tuned etc

mountainlover
    Free Member

Today I got the fork back. The Remote Lockout I left on the fork is missing (replacement is already on its way), but at least it seems well lubricated 😉

The dealer told me he would get Sram to write up a short description of whats wrong with the fork. Looks like Sram didn’t feel to do that, so I still don’t know whats wrong.

Does any one of you have any more suggestions beyond the stuff we talked about above?

In a German board where I also discussed this topic someone said that up to 5mm can be within the tolerances. It sounds a little weird to me that there is so much tolerance length-wise wheras a fork needs/has such a precission fit regarding the diameter of the parts.

legend
    Free Member

Stanchion diameter to bush internal diameter is a critical dimension, if this out of control the fork won’t work. Actual travel when everything is bolted together is just a minor inconvenience

mountainlover
    Free Member

Stanchion diameter to bush internal diameter is a critical dimension, if this out of control the fork won’t work. Actual travel when everything is bolted together is just a minor inconvenience

I know. For me its just hard to understand how one product is constructed in such precission regarding the diameter and with so much tolerance regarding the length.

But from what you said, I conclude that you also experienced such tolerances? Which would mean that the fork would be OK frm your point of view?

legend
    Free Member

My Pike sits somewhere between 3 and 5mm lower than it should, it also creaks like hell, can’t say it’s really bothering me tbh. Will probably strip it for a proper look at some point though.

Let’s not forget that there’s also a tolerance on the positioning of the travel indicator – **** knows where that’s sitting 😉

mountainlover
    Free Member

My Pike sits somewhere between 3 and 5mm lower than it should, it also creaks like hell, can’t say it’s really bothering me tbh. Will probably strip it for a proper look at some point though.

I see. Would be interesting to know how it turns out after the strip-down (which I already did, including new seals).

Let’s not forget that there’s also a tolerance on the positioning of the travel indicator – **** knows where that’s sitting

I also meassured with a ruler and miss around 3mm.

kayak23

Back from a week in t’Alps.
    Pike rct3 was horrible.
    Blew a seal first day, luckily I bought spares.
    Plagued by big top out clunk all the trip especially noticeable manualling through rolling terrain. A lot of creaking too.
    Bled the damper before I went too.
    👿

kayak23

Here are my Pike forks being horrible.
    Charger damper bled before I went away to the alps, wiper seals changed along with oil by a shop while I was in Tignes.

They are horrible. Riding along you can feel a pronounced clunk when you pull up.
    Any ideas anyone?
    😥

[video]http://youtu.be/C0CJOTyRbOE[/video]

Not in warranty period sadly.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

http://www.crconception.com/index.php?p=1_10_Preparation-Rock-shox

A coil will fix the blown air spring.

When was the last time the damper was serviced? Have you had the updated seal head installed?

kayak23

Damper was bled by me, but not serviced in terms of seal/o-ring replacement I guess for a long while. I think that Loco does a damper only service so I may have to do that I think.

No updated seal head in there. What’s that about then?

singlespeedstu

Tom.
    How do you go about buying one of those spring kits?

legend
    Free Member

For Spring kits I’m waiting until TFTuned and PUSH have their versions ready to go

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

There is a link on the page to an order form, unfortunately it’s all in French. If you email the guy, he’ll help you I’m sure. To be fair, I don’t see the point of waiting for the PUSH/TF Tuned one – unless they are going to do tasty titanium ones that they custom build to your weight.

No updated seal head in there. What’s that about then?

2016 Pikes and Lyriks came with an updated seal head with more overlap and a lower friction seal. It basically stops air from being sucked into the cartridge when the fork is flexing under heavy load – it makes the Charger damper a lot more reliable.

If I was going on holiday to the Alps or Whistler, I’d have both my shock and fork fully serviced by TF Tuned/loco before I went out. It saves your holiday from being ruined.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

EDIT: See previous post.

chriscgs
    Free Member

hi everybody, im having doubts about my LBS diagnosis so I hope someone can help me

At one point the compression adjuster of my Pike (RC 27,5 2014)
    stoped working, took it for service and the LBS mechanic told me that it was a shimstack issue, they are bendt and not working properly.
    Is this the real problem? is this a common issue after 2 years? i ride once or twice a week usually.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘2014 rockshox pike problems/advice’ is closed to new replies.