Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 2013 – Triumph Speed Triple R
  • the_lecht_rocks

thinking about the new “R” with Ohlins / Brembo / Arrow, etc….

Anyone got one / ridden one / thoughts ?

TIA 😈

oomidamon

Thinking of one myself but a lot of reviews seem to say that the non-R version is just as good as a road bike. I also read an article in PB which said they had to spend £400 on the suspension to get it to be nice to ride. Look good tho!

shifter
    Free Member

At risk of reducing my chances – you can win one with Bennetts at the moment.
    Edit: it’s a Daytona in the competition, sorry.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Theyre certainly highly regarded in the MC press, seemingly winning all the test rides vs the competitors, but as oomidamon suggests, it seems the bog standard (non R) version seems to be better value for the road.

But take no notice of me. I bought a Ducati Monster. Bostin 🙂

oomidamon

FWIW I nearly bought a round headlight 1050, I’d even put a deposit on it. But then I demo’d a Superduke – game over. The KTM is just mental!

I did get a spin on a V4 Tuono & that’s just silly – wheelies in 3rd off the throttle? A bit scary if I’m honest.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Build quality still in question imoa,look closely !.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Did they not reckon the standard version with maxton internals was better?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Did they not reckon the standard version with maxton internals was better?

I nearly bought one around 2011 from Shirlaws, tested a brand new R but I decided against it. The guy that rebuilds and race tunes engines (also a daytona 675 thats won its class)kind of screwed his face up when I told him I was planning one at the time. He said when he gets in about them, they are a bit poor. I think he mentioned cam chains wearing out rather quick.. but then again that daytona will be ragged to hell.

martinxyz
    Free Member

br
    Free Member

Triumphs in general or just the Speed Triples?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The only question is ‘is it better than Honda, BMW or both’
    Triumphs, and European bikes in general, are thoroughly sorted.and have been for some years now. And we’ve had 3 Ducatis, all of which were better than the last Honda I had. 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

are we suggesting the 1050 3 cylinder unit has issues [still]………….?

amplebrew

I reckon the Street Triple R might be a better buy and the new one is getting great reviews.

The 675 engine is fantastic and surely the Speed Triple must be due for a major update soon.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

are we suggesting the 1050 3 cylinder unit has issues [still]………….?

AFAIK none of the Triumph triples have had any sort of issue since they put fuel injection on them.

amplebrew

I had a test ride of a Triumph Tiger 800 a couple of weeks ago when i was looking for a new bike and thought the engine was lovely.

The build quality on the 12mth old one I rode seemed good and the bike was nice and light to ride.

I was really impressed by the engine though, gave the bike a loads of character.

br
    Free Member

I put 20k on a GT 1050 in a year. Only washed four times (6k, 12k and 18k service plus when I sold it back).

Not a mark on it.

And according to my old neighbour, Triumph started making nuts/bolts in house as they couldn’t get the quality on the market.

When I next need a m/c, I’ll be buying another Triumph.

the_lecht_rocks

Not sure when the 1050 is due an update… The 675 street doesn’t get ohlins or brembo but is 5k cheaper….and less torquey….. 😈

amplebrew

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    Not sure when the 1050 is due an update… The 675 street doesn’t get ohlins or brembo but is 5k cheaper….and less torquey…..

The 2013 Street Triple R I sat on in the showroom felt only around the same size as a mountain bike and I would imagine would be a lot of fun.

As mentioned by others, the general consensus in the motorbike press is that the standard Speed Triple is a better buy the the ‘R’ version and that the Ohlins needs a bit of tinkering to get right.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am slightly in love with the Speedy R “Dark Edition” at the moment! I had a 955i for a couple of years and utterly loved it, complete beast of a bike… traded that for a 1050 Tiger which was lovely but didn’t really do it for me in the way a Speedy does.

I think I am due another sometime 😉

The Griso is lovely and all, and I do love it – but I think it needs a friend!

Never had any problems with the Triumphs, just the servicing costs were slightly terrifying!

And Street Triples are way too small for me, they look like clown bikes 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

AFAIK none of the Triumph triples have had any sort of issue since they put fuel injection on them.

the 675 motor had a 2-stroke-like appetite for oil when it came out, Bike magazine had a long term demo fail terminally due to excessive oil consumption (and them not regularly checking it).

Bike and Triumph seem to have kissed and made up as they are pretty much a fanzine now, but there were loads of stories of 675s drinking oil when they were new.

The 675 engine is fantastic and surely the Speed Triple must be due for a major update soon.

Theyve just done a major update to the cycle and body, so not sure theyre planning a later update on the engine?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Speed, but I have a 2012 (pre facelift) Street R and it really does live up to the hype – a stunning road bike and amazingly torquey for a relatively small engine. Paid £6.5k for mine new which I consider a real bargain.

reedspeed
    Free Member

I do know,the Oxford Tag Triumph team,put a new engine in every race!, as it just eats itself unless….never mind oil consumption..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bike magazine had a long term demo fail terminally due to excessive oil consumption (and them not regularly checking it).

Really? Don’t remember that, and it’s rare I don’t buy BIKE, and have subscribed now and then. Must have missed it.

bueller
    Free Member

I like my naked sports bikes.

I’ve had two speed triple 1050’s from new and had various QC issues including the clocks fogging up to become unreadable (very common), thin paint and the crank case anodising going dull and eventually peeling. Then Triumph ditched the old dealer network to go with Stratstone and started taking the piss with prices, especially for accessories. They actually rode very well though. In the end i got fed up and bought a Honda CB1000R thinking the QC would be, well Honda.

Unfortunately the CB1000R’s are built in Italy not Japan and theres loads documented about the sub frames losing paint and rusting from road salt in very short order, general paint quality and electrical issues. Fortunately Honda put the price up by £1k just after I got bored with mine and I sold it for almost what i’d paid. Engine was sewing machine esque. Smooth and powerful but a bit bland. Total opposite of the triple.

I then bought an Aprilia Tuono Factory and its was excellent in every respect. Came standard with Ohlins, OZ wheels, Brembos, Akrapovic exhausts, Seat Cowl, Screen, bellypan all in carbon. Everything that was a ££££ extra on a Triumph basically.

If i was buying now it would be hard to see past an Aprilia or MV Brutale.

weeksy

Only ridden the 675 and felt it would make a great bike to shoot to Tescos and buy a pint of milk, but bloody rubbish apart from that. It felt very much a ‘budget’ bike and didn’t really do it for me at all.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘2013 – Triumph Speed Triple R’ is closed to new replies.