Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 2013 genesis latitude
  • burko73

Is it the case that the 2013 genesis latitude rangeis now the high latitude and ALL 29ers….

I’ve been thinking about a new steel hard tail for a few months and narrowed it down to a cotic soul or a genesis latitude. I’ve just come round to the idea ( over the last few weeks) of going for the cheaper latitude 20 over the soul leaving a bit of cash in case I fancy a road type bike later.

I’m only 5’7″ so don’t really fancy a big wheeler.

neninja
    Free Member

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/37289/Genesis_Latitude_20_2012_Bike

I’d be getting a 2012 26 wheeled Latitude with £500 off if it was me. Right size for you too!

neninja
    Free Member

Or if you wanted the 17.5 inch frame – here with £400 off

http://www.royles.biz/product/9894/Genesis_Latitude_20_2012

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

Slight change of emphasis, but it could be an important factor when choosing? Not sure what warranty comes with a cotic, but I’ve just got a new Genesis i0 frame for my 4 year old bike due to a cracked weld near head tube – no quibble lifetime guarantee – didn’t even realise it 🙂

gazc
    Free Member

hi had the same choice last year, went with the latitude as more versatile (rack eyelets mainly as we do a lot of off road touring). dont regret it. wouldnt go for the 29er tho as want to interchange my wheels with other/girlfrends bike and stay 26 for travel purposes in case anything goes wrong. great frame btw, u wont be disappointed. got mine frame only and new on ebay i think it may have been from 18bikes

gazc
    Free Member

should have also mentioned the money i saved kn the cotic bought me some u turn sektors – wind down for uphill/xc and up for the big stuff! 😀

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

You are correct that the latitude for 2013 is a 29er it is now called High Latitude. That said there are a few 26″ wheeled bikes out there. I had an 853 Latitude which I loved, it was a great trail bike but it had to go to finance my new ride. If funds were available I would get another one.

burko73

I guess I’ll have a look for a 2012. The 16″ one above says out of stock… But available to order.

I’ll do some ringing round tomorrow….

Cheers all.

bigblackshed

I was in the LBS yesterday. They had the 2013 Saracen catalogue. All of the Kili bikes (steel hard tails) are now 29ers. Genesis and Saracen are both under the Madison umbrella.

Are 26″ steel hard tails going niche again!

ahwiles
    Free Member

2013 Genesis Latitude … looks awesome!

burko73

Have I missed something with 29ers. ….? That 2013 lat sure looks good but what about semi midgets like me? Is it not like riding a road bike…?

I just want a classic clean looking steel hard tail that’ll keep on going on fire road, singletrack, trail centres days out in the hills now and again winter summer etc

How come 26 ers lasted this long…?

burko73

I think I’ll go for the 2012 latitude 20. I’m 5’7″ will he 16″ be about right or would. Be better with a 17.5″

I fit quite happily on a 17″ 93 clockwork or a 18″ sub 5….

burko73

Anyone….?

mlucas666
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ and have a 17.5in Latitude 853 which seems perfect for me.

burko73

Cheers. Any shorter people out there with a 16″ latitude…

burko73

None, I can’t believe it……..!

Dickyboy

6ft & ride a 19″ Altitude & a 17″ Dialled PA, I would tend to err towards the smaller size if I were you.

HermanShake
    Free Member

As DB just mentioned the Dialled PA, there are more 26″ steel HTs than either the Lat or Soul. I personally preferred my PA to my mates Latitude (both Reynolds 520, mine had a longer fork).

I’d get a groupset deal, U-turn fork and either another PA or perhaps look at a Blue Pig X (among other options).

The Lats not a bad bike, but it’s not necessarily the best in the category you’re looking at.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

@burko73 – is it definitely a Genesis Latitude you’re after? If you are dead set on a simple, clean looking steel hardtail then I would have thought the classic Cotic Soul would be the bike. Whether new or second hand.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m only 5’7″ so don’t really fancy a big wheeler.

Try one before you decide, give it a decent stretch on trails you know. It took me a couple of rides on a demo, then I was a convert and I won’t be spending any more money on 26. (Don’t expect 29 to ride like a 26, it’s different, give it a little space to be what it is).

Your height is not a problem, I am only 5’8″.

mattjg
    Free Member

That 2013 lat sure looks good but what about semi midgets like me?

You’re not a midget.

Is it not like riding a road bike…?

A little, in the sense that it’s smoother and more efficient so you spend more time knocking out a steady rhythm, compared to a 26 having to adjust to the vagaries of the trail. That’s what I found anyway. (You end up working just as hard but you go faster).

29 is not ‘like riding a road bike’, but it’s closer to it than a 26 is.

How come 26 ers lasted this long…?

Industry momentum. Look how long the QWERTY keyboard, which was specifically designed to make typing slower, has lasted.

burko73

I didn’t say I was a midget, just a semi midget…..

I’ve been coveting a soul but struggled to get a competitive price on a build and the 853 lat 20 at winstanleys is £1039 and I’m using cycle scheme so even more money saved. Itsgonna be difficult to get a ride on a 26 lat and a 29 lat due to the model change I guess.

I would have gone for the soul but just can’t justify into myself as you get such a good deal on an oem built up bike compare to a custom build when using the bike to work deal.

I’m not mad keen on the look of the new soul with the massive seat tube etc. I know it’s not all about the look but we all care a little don’t we….

mlucas666
    Free Member

I’m not mad keen on the look of the new soul with the massive seat tube etc. I know it’s not all about the look but we all care a little don’t we…

The one thing i don’t really like with my Latitude is the lack of decent dropper post options. At least with the new Soul you could can get a Reverb/Fox DOSS etc to fit.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m not mad keen on the look of the new soul with the massive seat tube etc. I know it’s not all about the look but we all care a little don’t we….

Neither am I, I saw one the other day and it looked odd to me. I have a ’11 model and prefer it aesthetically.

How a bike looks is part of how it is, looks do matter.

It comes down to if you want the dropper and tapered head tube I guess.

burko73

I just reserved a latitude 20 at winstanleys. Cost £1039. Cheers for the heads up on here. withbcyclescheme that’ll make it cost about £800 in real ash with an additionalsetof pedals( eggbeaters).

Ta

burko73

Got my voucher today for cycle scheme.. Send it off tomorrow…. Excited. Even went and bought some new 3/4 endura mt 500 bib tights and endura long shorts with the waterproof arse to keep me dryin this lovely weather were having….

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘2013 genesis latitude’ is closed to new replies.