Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2012 XT Brake Question/Help
  • fathomer

Question about the above. When at home I get the bite point to where I like it by pumping out the pistons ever so slightly, as I like the bite quite far from the bars, the brakes feel nice and firm and I’m pretty sure how they should.

However, by the end of most rides the bite of both brakes has moved closer to the bar and not feeling so good, though they’ve never failed to stop me. This obviously isn’t normal but I’m not sure what’s causing it. I’ve checked them over for leaking oil, can’t find any and I’ve also bled them three or four times and no air comes out.

Any suggestions?

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Bleed them with a worn set of pads and the pad spacer rather than the bleeding block.

Once you’ve done the entire bleed, push a little extra fluid into the system before closing the caliper nipple.

Job done.

fathomer

Unfortunately I tried this and it didn’t seem to work. I’ll give them another bleed with the bite point adjuster right out, I’ve read this can make a difference, unless anyone else has anymore suggestions?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

I have the same feelings towards my 2012 SLX’s. It’s tolerable but what I’d like to do is adjust the bite point and wind the lever closer to the bar so there is less lever travel to take up before the bite.

I can set them up before the ride but they re-adjust themselves as you describe. Definitely the master cylinder returning fluid to the reservoir but I don’t know if this can ever be stopped. Would love to here if you find a fix. (and by fix I mean fudge. There’s nothing broken in the brake to fix tbh)

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s pretty much the result of a small master cylinder bore, and large caliper bore that gives you lots of power, and, unfortunately, long lever travel too. The servo-wave system goes some way towards helping it, but really speaking, you’re stuck with it. As you’ve found out, “cures” will only be temporary.

fathomer

Well at least that explains it and there not broken! Think I may give them a bleed with the adjuster all the way out, see if that improves anything, though I doubt it!

shortcut

Impressed how finely attuned some of you guys are. How do you cope on wet days when the pads disintegrate?

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Buy sintered pads.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

If it’s not pad wear then check for leaks. I’ve had mine leak from the lever and from the hose connection after about a year of use. If it’s just the hose leaking you may be able to replace the olive and barb and be on your way again.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Wind the levers out as far as it is still possible to reach. I like mine to bite far away from the bars, and that was the only way I could achieve it with them. Brilliant brakes in every other respect though.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Something not right there, I’ve done 8 and 10 hour peak district rides and mine have been solid right the way through, with no change in bite point like you describe. Sounds like air is in the system or getting in.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2012 XT Brake Question/Help’ is closed to new replies.