Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 2012 Turner Sultan, any reason not to buy?
  • deserter
    Free Member

After lots of looking in bike shops I’ve decided I’m going 2nd hand, fancy a 29er for a change from everything else I own and found a nice used sultan, are they still modern as in standards etc? Also how does the standard fox shock perform? Any previous or current owners please chime in with any setup tips as I’m going to custom build it.

Thanks in advance

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a 2011. They’re long at the back and steep at the front according to the latest fashions.

Despite that, it’s an awesome machine aimed at ‘proper’ mountain riding. I seem to get on well enough on mine. Despite riding an aluminium antique thats nearly 4 years old.

The 2012 was the first year to get ISCG mounted and a 142 rear, so you’re pretty much there with modern standards.

How do you like your riding? I’ve found the Sultan so damn competent it makes my local riding boring. It mainly comes out to play on the big stuff.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I just remembered that STW did this review, which, frankly, is absolutely bang on.
    http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/turner-sultan/

vondally
    Free Member

^^^^^^this, sold mine because it was too capable and made everything a little bit boring or really fast that a crash for me would have a serious effect…….so good bikes especially with 140 forks

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m thinking about putting a set of pikes on mine

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The only thing which would (did) put me off a second hand one – possibly the same one – is it was a 1.125 steerer and getting forks was a hassle otherwise would have had it a heart beat

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I think all the DW ones have been 44mm headsets. Mine certainly is and the one you’re looking at is a year younger.

davosaurusrex

I have a 2012 with the 142 axle, 44mm headtube and 140 pikes. Love it.the long chainstays have advantages as well as the downsides. Headangle with 140s is 68 degrees so hardly ridiculously steep. Mine needs a bushing kit for the upper rocker after 2 winters and 1600 miles which doesn’t seem too bad

vondally
    Free Member

I had two, one old style head tube and then a 44mm….which a2012 should be

deserter
    Free Member

yeah its definitely got the tapered head tube, I wondered about the rear spacing as the ad doesn’t mention it, I was thinking 120mm forks and a bit more on the xc side of a build………..do you think it might be the wrong bike?
    My other choice was an Intense spider

deserter
    Free Member

Oh and thanks for the link to the review I hadn’t seen that one

mendippete
    Free Member

Great bike mines a 2011, expensive to maintain as no importer as turner have gone direct now, silverfish don’t stock many spares any more so you have to order direct from the USA when your bushes wear out . I am going to fit my sultan a set of 27.5+ wheels to bring it up to date.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

When did that happen Pete. It must have been fairly recently I bought a new brush kit about 3 months ago from silver fish and the new mono link for the DW.

davosaurusrex

SO – have you fitted the mono link yet and if so does it make much difference?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was going to get one as my ‘keep-me-safe’ bike for visits to bike parks when everyone wants to ride the blacks – but keep my 26 inch flux for riding locally…

mendippete
    Free Member

When I emailed turner as silverfish had no stock the told me to buy dirct from the turner webstore , i dont see much turner stock on the silverfish site, so may be its going this way http://turnerbikes.com/turner-culture/item/59-turner-goes-rider-direct

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

When did that happen Pete

It didn’t.
    We offer every single Turner part that is available to us.
    If we are out of stock it is almost certain that we already have a PO in place with Turner and they are out of stock also.

We are still very much the UK distributor.

If you have any questions on stock, small parts or deliveries feel free to message me directly richie@ silverfish-uk.com

mendippete
    Free Member

Thanks Richie for clearing that up, I got a flux and a sultan so I am going to need more bits in the future so I will call you guys as I don’t want the hassle of buying in dollars and getting a customs bill when it arrives

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

trouble with using turner direct to the UK for bike is you could almost buy a Canyon for the price of their shipping charges…

Or an Sram XX1 groupset…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hmmm. Every time I’ve looked at the Silverfish website they have several pages of spares listed. I’m not sure how you could have missed that, but you did!

Daveosaurus – there is a difference. If one is the type of rider that mostly keeps their bike vertical, you won’t notice it. 3d riders are likely to. It’s a fair bit stiffer when stood on to get round corners.

The link itself is thicker but the hexlock has also been abandoned for flat faces like the rocker links. The pivot shafts are now fitted with an internal brass sleeve and the actual fixing bolts look twice the size of the originals.

I’m very pleased with it, mostly because it’s shut up the infernal creaking I was plagued with on the original.

deserter
    Free Member

I’m in BC Canada, all my riding seems to be alpine single track type stuff, steep both ways………..only reservation is what its like on tight switchbacks climbing/descending with the long back end, my current bike is a blur ltc for reference

cheers for all the info so far

deserter
    Free Member

I’m just over 6ft with a 33′ inseam, would an xl be too big?

leegee

I’m 6ft and on a medium with a 70mm stem.

davosaurusrex

I’m just under 6’4” 34″ inseam and on an xl with a 60mm stem. I’d say you’re in between sizes,depends what you prefer

bigh
    Free Member

Might be selling an xl 2014 ano black soon. Just upgraded to something with more bounce. Great bikes but I think I’m going to ride my Niner more

deserter
    Free Member

Yeah I’m on the fence between xl and large, like my bikes a bit more playful and most of them have had a top tube around 23.5″, only bike I had longer was a yeti 575 and I found it boring to ride tbh, ploughed through everything as opposed to skipping around

Disclaimer……..know nothing about geometry just how it felt

davosaurusrex

Meant to say thanks for the info SO. Mine doesn’t creak so wasn’t going to bother if there wasn’t a noticeable difference in feel

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘2012 Turner Sultan, any reason not to buy?’ is closed to new replies.