Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • 2012 Specialized 29er's – 29er's ARE taking over the world!
  • dezmtber
    Free Member

try riding a 24″ jump bike down a rocky decent then tell me bigger wheels are not better 🙂

inbred853

try riding a 29″ XC bike on a pump track and tell me smaller wheels are not better.
    You choose your weapon of choice not the manufacturers.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Out of interest, why did 26 wheels appear for MTB when 29 already existed?

There must be a genuine benefit that they brought to the table.

Not trolling, just asking.

And if the answer isn’t convincing, then were 26ers the 29ers of their day and things have come full circle?

clubber
    Free Member

iirc it was simply.that the rims that were available at the time and up to the job were 26 ”

Paceman
    Free Member

It is still very rare that I see a 29er out on my local trails, in any of my local LBS’s, or when away for trail centre weekends… despite this being the ‘Year of the 29er’ according to WMB, MBR etc etc.

It might just be that we’re different riders with different tastes to our US cousins. The few guys I do know with 29ers are roadies dabbling in a bit of mountain biking who don’t like rough, twisty, or narrow stuff.

footflaps

Not sure I’ve ever seen one on the trails nor know anyone who has one.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve ridden one for nearly 5 years. More than there were and it is slowly increasing – but as long as it means more spares in the system for me, I could care less. They are another variation of a bike. Specialized are investing a lot into 29ers tho – including a demo fleet for shop staff so their dealers can understand them.

Mister-P
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I just spent too much on a new 29er! As such, there’s no way you’ll hear me say anything but gushing praise about them because to do otherwise would be to admit that I wasted my money on the latest money-making scheme from the bike industry that realised sales of mountain bikes was slowing down…….

FTFY.

I know jameso spent a looooonnnngggggg time deciding on the bike he has bought. He knows quite a bit about what makes a bike ride the way he wants it to. So if he does give the new one gushing praise I for one would actually believe what he says.

simonm
    Free Member

Quote a few 29ers at this years STW Weekender, maybe 10%, last year it was one bike.
    I really cant ride / get on with HT’s, until I got a 29er HT, which I do quite like. As above, its just a “different” bike. On my local trails I find its worse on the twisty between rocks stuff but quite fast on the other 90% of the trail inbetween.

Anyone read the Wade Simmons article with him riding the North Shore on a Rocky Mountain Altitude ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Get everyone on STW to ride their local loop on a 26″ or 29″ bike and report back the distance, time and wheel diameter

did that thurs/ fri last week. definately quicker on my 29er.

Out of interest, why did 26 wheels appear for MTB when 29 already existed?

availability of tyres iirc. schwinn beach bikes had 26″ rims with 2″ balloon tyres.

tazzymtb

29ers are rubbish, the whole “you can ride them rigid, and it’s just like a 26″ wheel with suspension” is daft as well.

It’ll never catch on despite all the marketing hype and wannabe attention whores.

You’ll never catch me on one of those contraptions, I tell ya!

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Anyone read the Wade Simmons article with him riding the North Shore on a Rocky Mountain Altitude ?

Yep, I’ve read it – certainly challenges a few preconceptions….which I quite liked. However, I guess he’s a got the riding skills and experience to make any old anvil come alive.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

i still think there is space for both sizes.it very much depends on what your main stomping ground is and whether you like the look of them or not.

rootes1

29ers are rubbish, the whole “you can ride them rigid, and it’s just like a 26″ wheel with suspension” is daft as well

correct! I fitted some short travel 80mm forks to my 29er to replace the rigid… much nicer to ride now.. now to sort the back out!

for me the reason I ride a 29er is that for a tall bloke that needs a garden gate frame big wheels look more in proportion..

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’d love to try a camber 29er, but in typical Specialized fashion, you can’t get them in the uk.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

i’d love to try a camber 29er, but in typical Specialized fashion, you can’t get them in the uk.

Aye, pretty disappointing when some of the more ‘interesting’ stuff from Spesh doesn’t get to the UK. FWIR, they have/had some superb tyres that aren’t available in the UK (not in ‘real’ sizes anyway).

Dancake
    Free Member

I moved to a a 29er and realised I didn’t know what I was missing
    I moved back to a 26er and realised I didn’t know what I was missing

VanHalen

what with my super slack head angle, massive wheelbase and now 29″ wheels is there anything else i can do to make my bike handle even more barge-like?

cheers VH

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Camber 29er is coming to the UK for 2012.

LordOnOne
    Free Member

Camber 29er is coming to the UK for 2012.

The Pro Carbon model included?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

fattatlasses – Member

Yep, I’ve read it – certainly challenges a few preconceptions….which I quite liked. However, I guess he’s a got the riding skills and experience to make any old anvil come alive.

Yep, I’ve read it – certainly challenges a few preconceptions….which I quite liked. However, I guess he’s sponsored by a company trying to sell 29ers……

singlespeedstu

Do RM not sell 26ers then? 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘2012 Specialized 29er's – 29er's ARE taking over the world!’ is closed to new replies.