Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2012 Scottish Mountain Bike Conference
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Somebody sent me a link to this the other day – I’m presuming it’s a continuation of the conference that was held a couple of years ago that generated some discussion on here at the time.

In theory, I suppose it should be of interest to me, as I’ve got some involvement in encouraging young people to cycle / mountain bike, but there’s not much about the website that immediately inspires me to rush off and spend £45 of our budget, and taking a day out of my life, in order to participate, particularly as the results of the previous gathering didn’t inspire much confidence in terms of it being a good use of time and money for someone with my level of involvement. That said, I’m reluctant to dismiss it out of hand if it has the potential to be of some benefit, and it would be interesting to hear from other people who perhaps are a bit more familiar with how this whole process is playing out in real terms.

http://www.dmbins.com/developing/conference/who-should-attend

messiah
    Free Member

Oh goody… here is last years thread.

History repeats

Absolutely dismiss it out of hand… look at the programme and you’ll see why…

What do you think this is… Scottish mountain bike rider contribution scheme[/i] ???

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

What do you think this is… Scottish mountain bike rider contribution scheme ???

That one caught my eye as well…

It’s a bit sad that the tweet /FB ‘like’ score for the event currently stands at 0

theblackmount
    Free Member

Fluffsville…

It’s mostly been said on the previous thread but a couple of additional observations:

What have they (DMBIS) actually delivered? I can think of 3 fledgling projects within 10 miles of my house which are a.)all bubbling away in splendid isolation b.)could really do with professional help and support c.)are sitting on the edges of green belt which is going to see a massive explosion of new housing. I don’t believe anyone is working on linking these areas up, providing off road access etc and to the best of my knowledge DMBIS isn’t even on the radar. However, this is precisely where their so called “joined up thinking” “cluster working” and “over arching” brief was supposed to have been making a difference.

Is this some form of conference apartheid? I see no mention of how the day programme(£45) and evening (free) gigs are to be split. Can you contribute to or vote on anything meaningful at the evening event for example?

” Scottish mountain bike rider contribution scheme ???” Pay to play?
    Best thing we could contribute to as far as this lot are concerned is a representative body which gives us a meaningful seat at the table. Is CTC really our best shot?

cupra
    Free Member

What have they (DMBIS) actually delivered?

Route cards and a website and err, em, hang on it’ll come to me in a minute….

On the other hand it does ask what we want to see as mtbers, if we don’t engage do we lose the right to moan afterwards?

I remembered what it was – a picture of the back of my head on the website when I did the level 2 mtb coaching course 🙂

theblackmount
    Free Member

>if we don’t engage do we lose the right to moan afterwards?<

Well, as I said – that very much depends on how accessible they make the engagement process. How many ordinary punters will they get get taking a day off work and shelling out £45? Plus the cost to get to and from Perth for non locals.

Hate to sound so cynical but ime almost all meaningful decisions will have been taken by the “policy makers” sitting behind the other Quangos who fund DMBIS itself….and this will be another box ticking exercise.

He who pays the Piper.

We already had at least 3 publicly funded cycling organisations. All that Framework bollocks / DMBIS was merely a vehicle with which to derail or at least stifle the CVDG, Blairadam and sundry other grassroots bandwagons. We are now >3 years down the line from the destruction of these so aside from adding yet another tier of bureaucracy what has this organisation brought to the table?

More than happy for someone from DMBIS to come on here and rebuff all this!

cupra
    Free Member

I’m not pro DMBINS just putting forward a thought re moaning.

The evening session about the pay to play is free.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going along. With the LRA up for review, a concerted voice for mountain biking could be important.

DickBarton

Good luck with that…unless you represent a body that is already at the table with some power then it isn’t going to make any difference.

Personally im still convinced this group was done to allow a certain body to maintain full control without being seen to. Nothing appears to have been done which strengthens my belief in this further. My worry is that some of the groups got into this thinking it would make a difference…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2012 Scottish Mountain Bike Conference’ is closed to new replies.