Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 2012 Holiday Ideas in France
  • laggingbehindagain
    Free Member

Thinking about a holiday to France next year (with family), not been before – so new to it.

Whats the most cost effective way of getting to the south (thought about driving / ferries) & is there any nice coastal resorts, we prefer to visit somewhere with lots to do.

Possibly combine with a few days in Euro Disney on the way back home.

Any idea’s / websites /package deals etc. most welcome.

Hotels / Static Caravans etc.. all considered.

Many Thanks

Drillski
    Free Member

Drive, eurotunnel, take bike to chalet in morzine. Lots for wife and kids, oodles for you and bike.
    Sorted.
    Next Question?

donsimon
    Free Member

If you’re driving straight down south, use the toll roads.
    An alternative could be to pootle down and do a bit of sightseeing and take more than a couple of days.

john_drummer
    Free Member

We went to the south of France 2 years running. Mandelieu-La-Napoule in 2006, St Raphael & St Aygulf in 2007. I’d recommend either. MLN is near Cannes, St Raphael is a bit further west but not as far as St Tropez. St Raphael butts into Frejus, which is a nice old roman town with Roman ruins – theatre, colosseum type thing & medieval city walls. I hear the MTBing round there is quite good too

We flew with Jet2 from Leeds-Bradford into Nice, 2 hours & reasonably cheap, but if you did that you’d really need to hire a car

If you MUST go to St Tropez, I’d seriously consider getting the ferry across the bay from St Raphael – the drive between the two is horrendous & not really worth it. Makes the M62 between Leeds & Huddersfield seem like, well, a motorway 😉

trailmonkey

with a family, i think the west coast is a really good pick. if the kids are young then i’d say the vendee as it’s not to far from the ferry ports so not too much of an ordeal for the kids in the car. the weather is usually very predictable, the beaches are endlessly white and sandy. there’s lots of stuff to do withe some decent sized seaside towns if you fancy being grockles. the cuisine is good. lots of moules frites and excellent gallettes.

if the kids are a little older and can stand the journey then venture a little further south to either charente maritime or even further south beyond the gironde. cm has loads to do with some really excellent places like sainte, cognac, ile de re, st savinien. beyond the gironde gives you a beach that runs for half the bay of biscay.

the campsites seem to be really expensive these days. i don’t think there’s much difference price wise between campsites and gites and i’d always choose a gite.

our kids have grown up now and probably wouldn’t want to come away with us again but france has been the destination for most of our summer holidays and they’ve all been fantastic.

PePPeR

If you shop at Tesco save up your clubcard vouchers to use on the Eurotunnel, we have also used the clubcard vouchers to get into Parc Asterix and Futuroscope/ If you’re looking at a family holiday western France in the Vendee and Charente Maritime areas which include La Rochelle, Isle De Re, and La Sable D’ollone, it is a great area and Puy De Fou is nearby which is the best theme park for young families we’ve ever been too.

We’ve used Keycamp for a lot of our holidays and they’ve been really good. http://www.keycamp.co.uk/ Do a search for the Vendee area, there are loads of camp sites and there is tons to do in the area.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘2012 Holiday Ideas in France’ is closed to new replies.