• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by chaz.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 2011 Yeti 575 vs. 2012 Nuke Proof Mega
  • haskear
    Free Member

I’m currently in the market for a new frame and i have the opportunity to buy either a large Yeti 575 with Chris King headset and Kashima coated rp23 for £900 from a friend, its also like new, or my LBS has offered me the Mega with headset thrown in for the same price.

I would say that i tend to ride mainly to enjoy the downs (Including DH downs) but i would like efficiency on the ups. I’ve currently got a meta 6 which has served me well but at the time i bought it i was short on cash and got a good deal, the drawback being it is a medium and as i’m 6’2″ its always felt cramped.

I only have £900 so if anyone has an alternative suggestion it would have to fit into this price.

So what i’m hoping you kind people will do is share any experiences or knowledge that may help me to come to decision over which would suit my riding and if the size of the Yeti would be OK, i would probably go for a large Nuke Proof.

goatster
    Free Member

Rode 575’s for years and they are a great bike. Several of my friends have a mega and love it. Some points to concider:

Mega is a lot heavier than the 575
    Mega has a slacker head angle

Mega will be new and therefore have a full warranty…

Both great bikes, both pedal uphill, both great on decents.

For my money I would go Mega cos it’s new…

T

bwaarp
    Free Member

The megas a bit heavier, it’s also plusher due to a proper link at the back instead of that “flexible” link, it’s slacker and has a much longer wheelbase. I’ve ridden both, the 575 felt more of an XC bike with more clout whilst the Mega (which I bought) feels like a mini-dh bike that can be pedalled on all day rides. Basically it’s more confidence inspiring on steep descents.

Both can be ridden on 30km trail rides, but the mega leans more towards descending where as the 575 leans a bit more towards climbing. The Mega also corners at high speed like nothing I’ve ever ridden before (bar an Ancillotti DH bike) and bikes I’ve spent time on are Ancilottis, Nomads, VP-Free, Scott Octane DH bike, Specialized SX Trail etc etc….it generally rails.

float
    Free Member

if the 575 has the carbon rear end do not buy it as itll most likely fail. i cant give much more help than that really 😐

althepal

Believe the newest 575 rear ends are much improved? Swappable drop outs? I have an 09-11 one and had no probs with it although have heard of a few disasters! Never thought I’d hear the 575 being described as the most xc-ish but I guess compared to a Mega it is!!

haskear
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback guys, i’m starting to air on the side of the Mega at the moment.

gillycoops
    Free Member

FWIW, I’m not much of a rider really, but after a few nice new bikes, a Nomad a 5am a Spec enduro all new I bought a 2nd hand 575 & its the best bike I’ve ridden, its a 2008 I think & its a great all rounder, I hear some give trouble on the rear triangle but 6 months in apart from a loose pivot bearing I’ve had no bother with it & I’m a lump of a bloke.

I can’t comment on a Mega but I’ve had a few bits of Nukeproof gear & think its great value, the Mega looks a great bike & seems cheap enough but for my money I’d take the Yeti.

andylux
    Free Member

You could get other frames new for 900 quid that are on offer. Reckon you get get a heckler new for that or I’ve seen Morewood Shova’s new for less. Have a look at rutland cycles for there frame offers and ukbikestore for the morewood deals.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Why would you want a Heckler? It’s not a linkage driven single pivot, it’s heavier than the 575 and not as suited to dh as the Mega.

andylux
    Free Member

Just a suggestion bwarrp for the 900 quid budget, is that alright?. The Santa Cruz syndicate seemed to be able to kill it pretty well on training rides on their hecklers in the earthed dvd’s.

mrmojo
    Free Member

What year is the 575 ? £900 for a near brand new 575 frame with Chris King headset and Kashima coated rp23 chucked in is great price if fairly new.
    I have a 2011 575 and the rear end is very stiff and I’ve thrashed it. I’d go as far to say as the best bike I’ve ever ridden my previous bike was an ibis mojo and I think the Yeti is much better all round bike.

ahsf
    Free Member

i have a 2011 575, it cilmbs well an i have raced it DH when my DH bike was broke came 7th agains lads on DH bike so it no xc bike its a all mountain bike just depends on who’s riding it.
    it done 30ft gap jumps an 8ft drops in france, my pal has a mega an while we where in france it rode DH very well but not so good on climbs, take your pick both good bikes for the price.

chaz
    Free Member

I would be interested in the 575 if you don’t go for it! Email me please!

purser_mark
    Free Member

Make sure the Mega has a warranty, I know of atleast one of these snapping. Might be worth a bit of research!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nukeproof-mega-rear-triangle-recall-for-2011-frames

honourablegeorge

575 is an XC/trail bike, not really in the same class as the Meta 6 or the Mega.

si-wilson
    Free Member

How about something different and inbetween those two bikes?

I am still unsure if we will be having the EVO g2 in any sort of numbers, so the few frames we do have might be very exclusive, bargain price too on the limited stock that we have, £925 including rp23

Chumba EVO G2

Chumba EVO G2 by srbwilson, on Flickr

goatster
    Free Member

Make sure the Mega has a warranty, I know of atleast one of these snapping. Might be worth a bit of research!

All Megas sold have been supplied with an upgraded chainstay to take care of that. New ones have it on when delivered, anyone with an old one that hasn’t changed the chainstay should contact the shop where you bought it and they will have one there for you…or should

T

chaz
    Free Member

Whats your mate down with then frame if you haven’t taken it? I would give him 900 for it

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘2011 Yeti 575 vs. 2012 Nuke Proof Mega’ is closed to new replies.