Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 2011 Orange Five
  • dandan
    Free Member

was talking to a bloke yesterday who said the five is being totally redesigned for 2011.

He mentioned a over size head tube etc?

I was just wondering if anybody else had heard anything about this?

Northwind

Think there's been pics of a five with a tapered tube doing the rounds, that's all I've seen though

dandan
    Free Member

cheers mate, was thinking of getting a 2010 five. If its true they ill be making big changes I may as well wait 6 months or so to get the latest and greatest technology! 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ash
    Zoolander
    Free Member

I need one of those!

coogan
    Free Member

Can't say that looks massively different. Or better looking…

SeanOrange
    Free Member

When would the 2011 5s be due out? I'd be wanting to get a 2010 before then as I dont like integrated headsets see 😕
    Wouldn't want guides for a dropper either as I think remotes just complicate things and the beauty of the 5 is that its simple!
    ISCG mounts might be nice tho…..

nickegg
    Free Member

Anyone interested in a 2009 Orange 5 cos i know one thats for sale 😉

Sorry!

karnali
    Free Member

nickegg if its a 16 i coudl be interested in some details email in profile

ta

el_diablo
    Free Member

MBR have a prototype on test, tapered head tube and larger seat tube. (first reports are that it's noticably stiffer)

Dirt magazine have one made of thinner metal sporting Cane Creek double barrel shock.

tonyg2003

I've seen one in the wild

http://www.muddymoles.org.uk/2010/03/2011_orange_five.html

Looks interesting and I'm considering whether I can justify one!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

ooh those changes will make it an even better bike that before.
    ISCG tabs though? – ah hammerschmidt. brilliant

greasystain
    Free Member

la la la – I can't hear you – la la la

Just bought a 2010 5.

Northwind

"MBR have a prototype on test, tapered head tube and larger seat tube. (first reports are that it's noticably stiffer)"

I think MBR's in-depth opinion will probably be that the last one's stiffness was exactly perfect… and that the new one is stiffer and still perfect 😉

It'd be nice if they went for straight-through 1.5 though rather than a taper, just for the flexibility.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Orange are always making prototypes all the time. Steve Wade the frame designer is often getting guides inthe Alps to test out new designs. Tapered head tubes are going to all over 2011 bikes but I doubt the Orange 5 will really be 'totally redesigned' it still needs to be kept notably different to a Alpine after all.

brant
    Free Member

Hammerschmidt with a mid/high singlepivot? interesting…

TractorFrog
    Free Member

Was speaking to a guy from orange the other week, there thinking of a bigger seatpost tube for the Five next year to allow for a greater range of Gravity Dropper / Joplin seat posts options and he also mentioned that they were going to start and play with the Taper headtube idea.

shredder
    Free Member

Was in Bike Treks today and they have one in Flouro green for sale. It's badged up Strange and it's called the Evo. Full build Fox 36's etc think it was £3200 or so.

Very nice

armchairbiker

Shredder – it's on their website.

That's luvely……

ash

expand please 🙂 !

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

expand please !
    The further away from the main pivot the chain pulls from the more pedal bob you'll get. So you'll get more bob in a smaller front ring than a larger front ring (hence a few frame designs like balfas bb7 or some proto oranges adding a roller around the pivot)…so hammerschmidt uses a small ring all the time, so it will have lots of pedal bob all the time.
    Please correct me if im wrong!

shredder
    Free Member

It is isn't it it had all the feature's being discussed. Tapered h/tube, larger seat post diam, ISCG mounts to run Hammerschmitd. Guides for a dropper seat post.

rOcKeTdOg

oversize head tube and a dropper post, just what you need for parking outside the amusements 😀

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

Orange made 15-20 or so 'Alpine Five' prototypes a couple of years ago. They never made it to production either.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Orange made 15-20 or so 'Alpine Five' prototypes a couple of years ago. They never made it to production either.

But didn't they ultimately develop the Alpine 160 instead though?

udder
    Free Member

These tapered head tubes are such a gimmick on a trail bike. I bet hardly any of us on here could tell the difference.

I suppose Orange have to move with the times though, even if it is a con making people buy new bikes so that they can run modern forks.

The 30.9 seat tube and the seat dropper cable guides are good though. The 27.2 seat tube is the only I'd change about my 2009 Five.

No doubt this new Five will ride brilliantly, though.

z1ppy

These tapered head tubes are such a gimmick on a trail bike. I bet hardly any of us on here could tell the difference.

Gimmick? When the 1.5 std has been around for years, yet instead of just accepting it they had to alter it and make it 'tapered'.. but as for the point of the 1.5 headtube, I diagree and say it's not about the rider 'feel' but that the front end won't be ripped off using longer travel single crown forks.

Northwind

udder wrote, "These tapered head tubes are such a gimmick on a trail bike. I bet hardly any of us on here could tell the difference."

That's because we're not welding them together 💡

Still say full fat 1.5 makes more sense, it just doesn't look quite as nice.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘2011 Orange Five’ is closed to new replies.