Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 170 total)
  • 2010 the year 29er's go mainstream
  • TooTall
    Free Member

not defensive – just really enjoy poking the opinionated little people with a stick – especially if they spout off having never ridden one. 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

It's kinda bonkers when we had 27"/700c wheeled cross bikes to start off with. Then we went to 26" wheeled mountainbikes and now 29ers. I have to ask why we didn't simply evolve the cross bike.
    I think there will always be pros and cons with 26/700c wheeled bikes.
    I remember soling a Rig thinking this is great until I hit twisty stuff. In the end I just wanted to unify my bikes, and running a standard wheeled bike was a cheaper, lighter and generally easier option.

Ti29er
    Free Member

" What – just because I haven't owned one or had a go on one yet means my thoughts are not relevant? "

It devalues your comments somewhat don't you think? Not actually knowing that much about them, I mean, other than other peoples' opinions and experiences?

Expressing an opinion when you have never even bothered to try one, but think you are actually "put off by the elitist, niche lover, cock image that seems to go with 29er ownership".
    Hummmmm.

At least some of us have gone out and made an effort to satisfy our curiosity and some have found them to their liking. I spent 2 x 6hr days riding 29ers and 26ers back-to-back with each other, so that's how I came to 29ers, not because someone told me what I should think; God forbid I form my opinions about such things solely on web forums!

So to pontificate about 29ers when you know so very little, is, best backed up with at least some first hand experience of the bikes; besides which, for you " it all comes down to one thing for me; cost" but "then I'm just the type of rider who needs convincing;" – why? – when for you it's all about being cheap?

I'd advocate trying one on a Demo Day (now is the time of the year), yellow ones are the quickest, Ti ones the most comfortable (also read expensive), SS the most niche! So for you it'd need to be a yellow, SS 29er 😉

ton

Ti ones the most comfortable (also read expensive), SS the most niche! So for you it'd need to be a yellow, SS 29er

my ventana is far comfier than any hardtail……….imho that it.. 😉

adeward
    Free Member

yellow ones are the quickest, Ti ones the most comfortable (also read expensive), SS the most niche! So for you it'd need to be a yellow, SS 29er

so if i was about to get a Ti ss full rigid, custom build, do i get instant niche cred points or do i still have to grow some kind of bizzarre facial hair

or do i go back to riding my ss whyte preston with the 24 inch front wheel

rOcKeTdOg

Superfly frame, Reba XX reduced to 60mm, would steepen the HA to about 71/72Deg, Avid BB7s on Sram Red levers, ashima discs, Sram Der, etc, etc….

this comment should carry an 18+ certificate! i gone all dreamy, but will have to settle for this for the time being

AndyCh
    Free Member

i used to own a bike shop in Wells and i seem to recal the diamond back rep coming in with the "New" axis 700c (you see 29" and 700c are the same) it was fuly rigid (as was everything in 1995) and had panracer smokes and XTII on it. i had one as a demo and couldnt shift it for love. never seen one since though.
    Just goes to prove that what we think is new is just a failed maketing ploy being re jigged 😉

A

cookeaa

@Ti29er:

I wouldn't say I know "nothing" about them, I know as much as anyone who likes bikes and reads up on stuff, it's not a case of "not bothering to try one" I've just not happened to have the opportunity yet and should the chance present itself I certainly would give one a go…

Maybe "elitist, niche lover, cock" comment was a bit harsh but the early adopters have managed to carve themselves a bit of a reputation.

The fact that I catch more flak from the faithful for having a bit more reasoned consideration about 29er's pros/cons and mass appeal, and not actually having a knee jerk downer on 29ers, speaks volumes…

Perhaps separating the product and the "culture" would be helpful; 29" wheeled MTBs seem like a great idea, just can't warm to many of the owners at present…

keavo
    Free Member

cookeaa. i'm ace you'd like me:-)

singlespeedstu

It makes me smile the way people seem to class 29ers as one bike.

"I tried a 29er once and it was shit" kind of thing.

I've tried loads of 26ers that are shit too but it's not a very convinsing argument against all 26ers is it.

It's just a wheel size nothing more nothing less.

Anyway carry on it's quite entertaining. 😀

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

if ya 6ft 5 it is

rOcKeTdOg

he'd hate me

RichPenny
    Free Member

Well, I've fitted cx tyres to a flat bar roadie, so technically I have a 29er 😉 I am keen to give a proper one a go. I am only 5'8" though, is it just a myth that they're better suited to larger riders? Not having had a rigid bike since 1990, I found the downhills on mine fun, but much physically tougher. An alu/carbon frame is not especially comfortable!

**** it, s'all just an excuse to get another bike in isn't it 🙂

Anyone care to analyse cookeaa's points, rather than just poking until he swears?

keavo
    Free Member

rich, they might be better suited to tall riders but i can't really comment. i'm 5' 9 & 1/2" and a 29er convert. i believe that there are some possible problems with toe overlap on small framed 29ers.
    i've had rigid forks and found they had some benefits that surprised me but overall i'm happier with a suspension fork. if you have some cash, just get one and make your own evaluation.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Bunch of weirdos

adeward
    Free Member

most of the time people want first hand advice, not just rehashed mag articals of what was reported third hand of a forum somewhere,

cheers_drive

I had my fist 29er ride today, and my first SS ride.
    I totally forgot for most of the ride that it was a 29er but I think it coped better with the frozen mud rivers better than my PA would have. Also I heard people say that they don't work as well in twisty trails and are harder up to get up to speed but I didn't really notice that depite the 2.4kg wheelset.
    Perhaps on fast summer trails it will be different but for now it's looking good.

coastkid
    Free Member

so far this year its been the year of surly pugsley`s endomorph tyre 🙂 26" rim,near 29" outer tyre diameter..4" low pressure spread…and we just got a healthy dumping of snow again last night,im loving it…

i like 29er hardtails but 26" full suss for throwing around at trailparks..folk forget though its not about the bike……..

RichPenny
    Free Member

Well, to be fair he wrote something about them rolling better, and no one has disagreed. Then he wrote about them suiting certain types of riding, and no one has disagreed (apart from maybe Maverick Boy). If these opinions are wrong, perhaps it would be useful to say why? For example, I found the bit about getting air interesting. I would guess that in general they'd be harder to manual, but unless people detail their experiences I couldn't be corrected.

Then he wrote about them being a bit niche still, and thus expensive, and harder to get bits for. And how that wouldn't really suit him. I think only Ti29er's had a decent go at looking at that point. And it's a valid point, no?

keavo
    Free Member

parts are easy to get, bargains can be had (remember the £400 rig a couple of years ago) but to be fair, thats rare.

westkipper
    Free Member

One thing that is a seachange type sign of err-change 🙄 is when you start to see cheap catalogue style bikes being offered in 29er sizes,
    and thats what I seem to notice more and more kids on these days.

keavo
    Free Member

any bike, 26er or 29er, suits a type of riding. there is a choice in what you buy eg. for 29er hardtails you can go for gary fisher superfly or a banshee paradox and everything in between. if people like to pigeonhole them, i'm happy to let them do that.

charliedontsurf

Yeah. 29ers will be getting bigger. I have been selling 29ers for about three years now and we sell more 29er parts each month.
    If you are tall they are logical and work.
    The majority of my riding buddies are on 29ers. They are generally the older and/or taller guys. I guess the age thing is about enjoying the flow rather than wanting to huck.

We have two demo 29ers in our shop. A niner SIR9 ss rigid. And a salsa dos 1×9 soft tail. You gotta try these bikes before you can believe in their magic flow powers.

bonesetter
    Free Member

And those are two of the best flowing 29ers out there, esp set up that way

clubber
    Free Member

Out of interest, why should they work better for tall people? The only obvious benefit is that if you're tall then there's fewer problems trying to shoehorn the larger wheels into a frame with the same contact points while avoiding toe-overlap and very bendy seat tubes and so on.

The fit (contact points) should be the same relative position-wise and I'm being told that wheelbase is barely any longer (though I'd actually like it if they had longer chainstays).

Or do you mean that they just look more in proportion on large frames which clearly they do?

Or is it that your centre of mass is nearer the axle line (which is higher off the ground than on a 26" bike). Not really sure what effect that would actually have since your 'pivot' point when leaning the bike is the ground, not the axles.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Presumably one of the advantages of a 29er is you need less suspension ?

Therefore why were'nt they invented in the early 90's when bike manufacturers were struggling to decent light suspension. This would have seemed like a easy solution then ?

Or is it just that MTBers were smaller then ? Is this something to do with people getting taller ?

TooTall
    Free Member

clubber – stop feigning interest! If you want to try them, come on over and try my bikes.

The bigger wheels mean that there is more of a drop from the wheel axle line to the BB than on a 26" bike, which keeps the BB and therefore the pedals the same height as a 26" bike. It makes me, as a tall bloke, feel more like I'm sitting in the bike than perched on top of it – so more my size.

Think of it as your little one getting a first bike – wee wheels to start, up to 16" wheels, perhaps 20", then possibly the big jump up to 26". These increase with size – so doing the same for taller people is the next logical step. You're easily taller than 95% of the people on the planet, so a bigger (IMHO) makes sense.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

My Jones is much easier to manual and wheelie than my 26er…..

pegasus
    Free Member

I've got a 29er and I love it. I'm tall and as Charlie the Bikemonger said

They are generally the older and/or taller guys. I guess the age thing is about enjoying the flow rather than wanting to huck.

Also I find that I can run lower pressures in the tyres and this seems to improve the grip, but I am in no way an expert. And I think my bike looks beautiful, Gary Fisher X-Cal (Red, very red)

clubber
    Free Member

TooTall – not feigning – like I said, I'm still looking for one I like. Would gladly try yours but TBH getting out currently is hit and miss so actually organising a ride at a fixed time is somewhat impractical hence why I'm hoping to get some more goes at SSEC where there's likely to be lots about.

Anyway, I don't really agree with your analogy about kids bikes – kids bikes need small wheels as they just can't fit bigger ones in without all sorts of issues with wheelbase, foot clearance, handlebar height and so on.

For those of us blessed enough to be tall enough that we can ride bikes with either 26 or 29" wheels with no real compromise made I'm not sure that 29 is inherently better for us – only a different choice. I kind of know what you mean about the feeling of sitting 'in the bike' more on a 29er but I'm not sure that actually is better – it certainly didn't feel better to me just different – why do you think it's better? just the feel? If so, it seems reasonable enough to say that some people will like that while others won't.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Oh no, not another 29er thread…

For the record I love my 29er, and yes it is a rigid single speed but mainly because it suits me and the sort of riding I do (and no I don't have a beard or feel that gears are pointless). I wouldn't want to go back to riding a 26 incher as I never felt comfortable on my last one (I always felt perched on top of it even though I'm only 6'1"). 29ers aren't for everybody, just as full sussers with 6 inches of travel at each end aren't to everyones taste.

Can't we all just accept that different people like different bikes? The main thing is we're all out there riding. I don't actually think 29ers will be the next best thing as the 26inch wheel format is the most popular wheel format on the planet. Its gonna take quite a marketing push for 29ers to take over the number one spot…

adeward
    Free Member

it;s a fashion thing,, we are all fashion pandas some way or another, some people like mainstream others like swiming upstream ,, ( should have been fashion pikes)

one of the bikes I once involved with made the front cover of a mag as "best bike ever?" and that was only in prototype form but it was a marmite bike, and as it didnt fit into the percieved mould of what mountain bikes should look like it just faded away ,

and thats the point ( at last) it's down to peoples choices you cant just say 26 good 29 crap there are good and bad bikes in both camps , and I still think mountain biking is 80% rider 20% bike

emac65
    Free Member

29ers are sh1te end of !Anyone with half an ounce of sense can tell that just by looking a them……

& I should know because I've got one that I ride most of the time….

JohnClimber
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    I am only 5'8" though, is it just a myth that they're better suited to larger riders?

STOP PRESS – YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE TALL TO RIDE 29ERS

Sorry to shout, but I've been looking in on this thread but not getting involved until now.

I'm 5'8" and I've only one 26er now for nipping out with the dog locally.

I've three 29ers – 1 x SS rigid, 1 x geared rigid (meduim frame) and 1 x FS (17" frame)

They are perfect for what I want, they make up for my lack of skill as the wheels fly over stuff better than 26ers.

There is no toe overlap and I won't be going back to 26ers in the foreseeable future

mboy
    Free Member

Well, to be fair he wrote something about them rolling better, and no one has disagreed. Then he wrote about them suiting certain types of riding, and no one has disagreed (apart from maybe Maverick Boy). If these opinions are wrong, perhaps it would be useful to say why? For example, I found the bit about getting air interesting. I would guess that in general they'd be harder to manual, but unless people detail their experiences I couldn't be corrected.

Then he wrote about them being a bit niche still, and thus expensive, and harder to get bits for. And how that wouldn't really suit him. I think only Ti29er's had a decent go at looking at that point. And it's a valid point, no?

Rich, I just stated (and I'm sticking with it) that it's more about the rider than the bike. 29ers are inherently going to be a bit longer (like for like) and the wheels will have slightly more gyroscopic effect (like for like) than a 26" wheeled Mountain Bike. They will also have (like for like) slightly longer chainstays which will make them a bit harder to manual and wheelie than a 26" wheeled MTB. But people need to witness what a bike is capable of under a rider with enough skill to do it justice (not me I hasten to add) before commenting on whether or not it's any good or not for a certain purpose. Steve Peat on a rigid 29er would still beat me down a DH run even if he lent me his Worlds Winning V10!

cookeeaa makes a valid point about the cost being a prohibitor to the masses trying out 29er wheeled bikes. You can't get away from that sadly though at the moment because of course it is still a relatively small market. I was lucky enough to buy a very cheap 2nd hand GF Rig to give big wheels a go, but not everybody is so lucky obviously. To dismiss his comments as foolhardy just because he doesn't have any experience of riding a 29er is somewhat silly, after all not long ago there were no 29ers on the market, so everyone was a 26" wheeled stalwart and needed convincing to try this new fad!

Going back though, I think the point of 29ers from a marketing point of view is that the wheels roll better once up to speed, certainly over bumpier terrain, and whilst the handling is probably slightly slower than an equivalent 26" wheeled MTB the benefits will appeal to a certain type of person more so than another. HOWEVER… The differences are small… It is probably akin to comparing a full suspension bike with 100mm of travel both ends (lets call this the 26" wheeled bike) with a bike with 130mm of travel both ends (lets call this the 29er). They're both capable of riding the same terrain, it's just that one is probably going to be a bit heavier but also a bit more comfortable (the 29er) whilst the other is going to be a little lighter and faster handling (the 26" wheeled bike)… The differences are small though!

Chevin
    Free Member

I've been watching this for a while and thought I would add my thoughts.

We sell lots of 29ers to all types/sizes of people. In fact the size we regularly sell out of 1st is 15", so the arguement you have to be tall is not a very good one. I'll go along with the "if you're tall they'll fit better" one. At 6'4" my twenty niners are the best fitting bikes I have ridden in 24 years of mountain biking. (I've just realised that puts me in the tall and older catagory of charlie the bikemonger!)

The key is to try one on a proper ride and ride with an open mind. I get very very few people who come back from a testride and hate them.

We have no trouble selling 29ers to average person off the street looking for a 1st mountain bike. Most don't spot the wheel size in the 1st place until we point it out.

gee
    Free Member

I'm tall and young. See, it's not just tall old people that buy them.

GB

keavo
    Free Member

chevin, can i assume from chevincycles? nice to see a shop geared up to sell 29ers aswell as 26ers. i still think it will be some time before other shops follow suit though.

Chevin
    Free Member

Keavo – http://www.chevincycles.com/

Yes, I'm Chevin Cycles

Matthew

Ti29er
    Free Member

29ers seem to suit SS too.
    Discuss.

(I think my next bike will be SS, if I'm strong enough, something the Ti29er is helping with as I'm more pro-active & out of the saddle with this bike than any other HT I've owned. Which is but one, a Pace RC301. I'm actually growing calf muscles for once in my life – at the age of 46!)

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘2010 the year 29er's go mainstream’ is closed to new replies.