Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 2010 Pace RC405 – rear tyre dilemma
  • ripley405
    Free Member

I love my bike!!! If anyone wants a spec list I’ll be happy to oblige.

However, the reason for this post is not to wax lyrical about my custom build, it is to ask other RC405 owners what rear tyre do they use in the Spring, Summer and Autumn seasons.

I’ve got 2.1 Mud X’s on for winter and have no issues at all with them. They really are an excellent mud/snow tyre.

My dilemma is what do I put on it when I take it off? I was running a Bonty XR4 Team Issue TLR 2.2 front and rear before the weather turned. Now I love these tyres, but it is such a huge tyre it has started to foul on the left downward wishbone of the rear triangle. It is a huge tyre, and they don’t make any smaller ones, so… What do you use?

I’m considering a Nobby Nic 2.1 or 2.25 on the front all year round (except Winter) and putting a Nobby Nic 2.1 on the rear in Spring and Autumn, and a 2.1 Racing Ralph in the summer. Can anyone vouch for this set up???

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Nice bike…….

I have carbon hardtail and run N Nic 2.25 front all year tubeless- mint tyre.

Ran a NN 2.1 on rear and felt too small for a 2.1 – kept puncturing and smacking rim even running 35-40 psi. Went for Maxxis Advantage 2.1 which is squarer and slighter bigger – love it.

ripley405
    Free Member

What the heck – more pics and spec:

Frame: White Medium PACE RC405 (adonised rear triangle)
    Forks: 2010 Rock Shox Revelations Team Dual Air
    Shock: DT Swiss M210
    Brakes: Avid Elixir R (185mm Front, 160mm Rear)
    Stem: Sunline XC
    Handlebars: Sunline 711
    Headset: Hope “The Headset”
    Grips: Sunline Lock on
    Shifters: Shimano XT
    Front Mech: Shimano SLX (Double)
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT
    Crankset: Shimano SLX Double and Bash
    Pedals: Shimano XT
    BB: Pace RC80
    Rims: Mavic 719
    Hubs: Hope Pro 2
    Tyres: currently Bonty Mud X 2.1’s will switch to Nobby Nics in Spring
    Seatpost: Thomson layback
    Saddle: SDG Bel Air

Weighing in at a shade over 12kg (sub 30lbs – get in!!!)

Alex

Bonty Big Earl 2.35 on the back and that fitted just fine!

ripley405
    Free Member

Cheers Margin.

I read a lot of mixed reviews about the sidewall durability of the NN, pinch flats and so on. I just think it’ll really compliment the bike and add to the overall feel.

I think the NN is totally right for the front, I’ll wait and see if any other 405 owners hear my cry!

ripley405
    Free Member

Cheers Alex – is it an all year all trail tyre? I wanted something fast rolling for the dry summer trail centres…

BadlyWiredDog

Maxxis Ardent 2.25 LUST on the back, Minion DHF 2.35 on the front all year round, but I do ride mostly in the Peak which tends to be rocky and rubbly rather than muddy. Brilliant tyres, no clearance issues with the 405, the Ardent is actually bigger than the Minion btw, despite the nomimal sizing .

Two things about Nobby Nics in the Peak anyway, one is that the rubber compound isn’t that grippy, second is that I got tired of destroying the sidewalls – just wearing through them – while there was still plenty of tread left on the tyre. If you must run NNs, use the 2.25, the 2.1 is quite low volume. They’re okay, but I reached a point where I just didn’t trust them at speed and they’re also stupidly expensive. The Maxxis tyres aren’t quite as fast rolling, though they’re not bad, but they’re so much more confidence inspiring ime.

I just took a 2011 Rev off my 405. Felt too tall and too light for me, screwed it up on steep climbs, stuck a Pushed Pike back on instead and feels perfect again. Ultimately though, it’s all personal preference, depends on your riding style, the trails you ride etc. I’m a pretty average, normal sort of rider and the above works for me, you could have totally different tastes.

Right, I’m off for a run in the snow.

Alex

Agree on the Pike. Ace fork for the Pace.

All year round. Er, sort of. Didn’t get ridden that often round here, so left on for the last peaks trip. I did use some 2.2 NN at Afan in the snow and they didn’t seem that bad!

Had Ardent’s on another bike. Big tyre. Prefer the Advantage. Tubeless 2.1s are a decent size and would be fine in there.

ripley405
    Free Member

All good ideas guys. Thanks for your recommendations. I may well go to my LBS and see if they’ll let me fit an Ardent so I can have a look.

As for the forks, I’m a fan of my Revs. I’ve played around with them enough and got the seals all nice and broken in and they are working nicely. Next summer will be more of a test as I’m hoping the shoulder will be fixed anough to let me push it a bit harder on bigger trails.

Paceman
    Free Member

I have a very similar build on my 405 with the exception of Hope brakes and Fox FIT Float 140mm forks. The Floats are great on the 405, can’t recommend them enough.

I run 2.35 Single Ply Maxxis High Roller’s for most of the year, just switching to a 2.3 Maxxis Aspen on the rear for super-dry summer conditions.

Might give the Ardents a go this summer though.

I’ve found the NN’s & RR’s sidewalls to soft for South Downs flints in the past. They become very expensive when you tear one regularly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘2010 Pace RC405 – rear tyre dilemma’ is closed to new replies.