Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • 2010 5-spot owners… compared to newer geometry?
  • bubs

First ride on davosaurusrex’s old 2011 XL planned for this Saturday! It certainly feels different to my previous run of UK classics (Hemlock and Five). The front does seem a bit high in comparison but then it is an XL frame and my old forks still just about fit (no room left for spacers where previously had room for 4). Build not quite up with wrecker’s as I have done a lot of recyling but should come in at around 31 lb.

davosaurusrex

Let’s see a photo! Where are you taking it, Surrey Hills?

bubs

Yep, early morning blast around some old favourites. Was there last Sat on the Hemlock and so I want to see how they compare (and cope with mud).

hora
    Free Member

Ok first things first before certain people take things personal about a bike manufacturer I’m not the worlds best rider, I’m Joe normal. However I can spot very small differences inbetween tyre brands, spacer positions, shock bushes etc.

I think what Horas reply will be that the new one can have a zero stack lower headset cup. Meaning that you have have 5mm lower front end for the same HA.

The zero stack headset REALLY helps. It may be only a slight drop but in conjuction with all the other subtle angles it made the bike feel lower/stabler.

And is there anything else stopping the 2010 from feeling like the 2011 onwards?

All the other subtle angles. Tweaks here and there make a bike feel better. Turner(?) I think said he liked the bike the way it was but market forces (trends) of slacker etc made him make the changes. I think that was disingenuous to riders in general.

I do wonder if Horas 2010 didn’t feel as good as the 2011 because of the offset bushing, putting the shock into mid stroke. Any comments mark? Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Fitting offset bushes helped. I fitted into both eyelets. The WC headset to me was/is overpriced. Its not high-end and its quite low quality for the price. I personally feel it was a waste of money. The bushes felt better. I felt better with a quality standard headset in. It gritted up and was well, for me no better than a FSA Pig in quality. Not bad but a Pig is £21?

Going over to the new frame I kept offsets in for a while. It was even better with those in. As I said I’m a nervous rider but a sorted frame really really helps me blossom.

Naturally gifted riders can rag a odly angled Intense down anything with speed/even get on with. I’m not one of those. I need a sorted frame.

I’m not part of the slack gang. The C456 is ace as it is.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker…. how does your 5-Spot compare to the Blur?

quite different animals. Physically, the spot is lower, slacker and longer. It looks the business (lovely in raw), the ownership experience is great. Operationally, it’s a very composed bike which rewards a bit of finesse. I wouldn’t describe it as a massive skill compensator. Just does everything well. I hated the RP23 on it though.
    The blur is sooo stiff (Carbon) and it corners almost by telepathy. I’ve noted more grip, which I think is due to the steeper HA (?). The RP23 BV has been great on this bike.
    Both very nice bikes, I’d be happy with either but over the moon to have both. I’ll probably keep the spot for a while (still under warranty). I think a few friends already have designs on it!

bubs

Before today’s slop fest christening ride and wearing the circa 2006 xt dual controls with pride. Thread to follow – how do i adjust a ccdb shock without messing up the ride.

12jan13 by bubswilby, on Flickr

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘2010 5-spot owners… compared to newer geometry?’ is closed to new replies.