• This topic has 39 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Gnnr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • (2009) lyrik or coil sektor
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

I hate my air fox forks (32 Talas RL 150) and have never got them feeling right (2009 spesh enduro) . The small bump is absolutely crap. So I was looking at finally gettnig smoe coil forks. Either the he 2009 lyrik coil u turn or the coil sektor

I’m led to believe the damping on the lyrik is far superior and obviously the stanctions are bigger (35 instead of 32). But it’s looking like 2nd hand for the lyrik or crc has a few new one’s in stock.

Also.. in the future thinking of getting a blue pig and swapping the bits over. I could presumably dial the lyrik down to 140-150?

Anyone rave about the lyriks? I know they have rocketed in price. How would the sektor feel in comparison?

trickydisco
    Free Member

anyone 🙁

sv

Managed to pickup a set of 2ndhand uturn lyriks, haven’t had a big day out on them yet (they are on a Pitch) but lots of twiddly knobs to play with 😉

The Sektors are a lighter, not quite so stiff Pike. The Lyriks Mission Control damper is supposed to be very good.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

My 2009 Lyrik coil u-turns are the absolute bollocks. HTH.

trickydisco
    Free Member

paulrockliffe

in what way?

They can’t be any worse than my rubbish fox forks that actually stiffened up in the alps. I may as well had been riding rigid!

LoCo
    Free Member

You could convert the talas to vanilla. But would be limited to a max of 140mm.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m surprised you don’t like the Fox 32 Talas so much you’re prepared to swap it. It might be that it’s the Talas part you don’t like and swapping that part out for a regular Float cartridge might improve things considerably. I am not sure that that can be done economically, but it’s worth asking Mojo. The Float 32 150 is a great fork and yes, the small bump capability is not as good as the Lyrik (more on that in a mo), but it’s more than good enough and the fork is superb on bigger compressions.

The Lyrik is excellent and if you can get it for £500 or less new, is a bargain (this is how much I paid for mine). The Mission Control damping is really very good indeed and the lock out with blow off is actually pretty good for what it is (although if you use that, then you’re going to have even less small bump capability than you currently have). The low and high speed compression damping on the Lyrik gives a good range of adjustment and you can run a decent amount of LSC without it compromising the forks bump performance (not that small bump performance shouldn’t be inhibited unduly by LSC as the small bumps should still trigger the HSC circuits and allow the oil and therefore the fork, to move in response to it)

But the Lyrik is very heavy; around 2.5kg on my Park scales and moving to a 36 Float will save over half a kilo. The 36 Float I now run performs as well over rough ground as the Lyriks, are stiffer than the Lyriks (even thought they are lighter) and still have useful LSC damping adjustments, but not HSC.

I have no experience of the Sektors but I do have a set of Pikes that I like very much, but again, they are heavy (as heavy as the Fox 36 Float).

Have a think about whether the set up problems you’re experiencing are really about the small bump performance or perhaps something else. One of the tuners will be able to help you and it’s worth exploring that route before you add on around 850g of weight by switching to a Lyrik, good as it would be (oh also know you’d need to ensure you have the right spring for your weight).

trickydisco
    Free Member

geetee1972

So you’re saying an air fork is better than a coil?

LoCo
    Free Member

They will convert to a 150mm Float too, and the cart. can be tuned as well.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I never got on with a set of 426 revs. I tried my mates cube with fox 36’s and they felt amazing. Also my other friends blue pig with lyriks on. They felt really plush and much more capable.

trickydisco
    Free Member

They will convert to a 150mm Float too, and the cart. can be tuned as well.

Will I feel a big improvement?

I had them serviced twice and the shop said they were fine.My hands/arms get a bit battered over small rocky descents. the fork just doesn’t seem to be doing a good job.

Del

[hijack]anyone any idea if it’s feasible to add lockout to a float 32, and if so what the ball-park cost is?[/hijack]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Lyriks should be better damped with Mission Control damping than the Motion Conrol of the Sektors

Bregante

My 2009 Lyrik coil u-turns are the absolute bollocks. HTH.

paulrockliffe

in what way?

They can’t be any worse than my rubbish fox forks

I read Paulrockliffes comment as a positive one (ie : the DB’s)

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Is said, “the absolute bollocks”, not “absolute bollocks”. For clarity, they are awesome. HTH.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ah.. i missed “the absolute bollocks”

I read it as “mine are absolute bollocks” 🙂

Bregante

I got my Lyrik U-turns from Merlin pre christmas for £429. Not used them in anger yet but feel………erm……very……..boingy.

(Any Mag editors reading this, yes I am available for freelance work)

trickydisco
    Free Member

2009 lyrik is £575 on CRC!

LoCo
    Free Member

tricky, the issue is (small bump) is most likely to be the Talas air spring, did the shop do a full service of all seals and fluid in the talas air leg? Coil will make them feel better also a cart. re-tune will improve the fork as well.

Del, yes but you need to replace the damper cartridge which will be quite exspensive.

Bregante

2009 lyrik is £575 on CRC!

they were indeed a bargain. Which is why I got them. TBH I had a perfectly good pair of E150’s on my Enduro but fancied a change. I know what you mean about the Talas having tried an 09 Enduro next to my 08 one and they pale in comparison to the E150, which are also travel adjustable.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So you’re saying an air fork is better than a coil?

I’m saying that between the Fox Float 36 RLC I have now and the Lyriks I had before, the Fox is a better fork based on:

It’s over a pound lighter
    It’s stiffer
    It’s high speed compression damping is better than the Lyriks

So for what I want it for, it’s a better fork but it’s not as ‘plush’, whatever that really means.

Ultimately the performance has to be measured in terms of grip and control. The 36 I think gives better control than the Lyrik in high speed, big it situations where what you want is to maintain the attitude of bike rather than pin a turn.

The Lyrik as a coil fork might be a smidgen more sensitive to force input and therefore give better overal grip when you’re leaning the bike over in a turn, but ultimately, the margin where that extra grip exists, it likely outside of my riding parameters; certainly outside of what’s needed to get the bike down the hill fast; I’m not going to know if the gap between my and whomever else I’m riding with is 20 seconds or 25 seconds so I’d rather have a lighter stiffer fork.

OP – you should give LoCo a shot at the fork. Sounds like he can get it doing what you want without the weight penalty of the Lyrik.

ferrit
    Free Member

Curveball:

Marzocchi 44RC3 Ti:

2011 (150mm version)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=54719

or the 2010 (140mm version):

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/marzocchi-44-rc3-ti-qr15-suspension-fork-2010/?dest=1&curr=gbp&lang=en&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

Got one of each on my bikes – awesome forks. Light as has a Ti coil spring, damping is excellent (better than coil Pikes they replaced). Plush, feel great and have a 3-year NO SERVICE warranty. So no fannying about with seals and oil for a while.

LoCo
    Free Member

I do 2011 Marz. stuff too mail for prices 😀

markenduro
    Free Member

Hi Gav, I’m now running lyriks on the 456 and the damping is in a different league to the (admittedly completely knackered!!) pikes they replaced. They are also loads stiffer and can be shortened down to 140mm easily enough (I couldn’t be arsed so left them at 160mm and they are fine). Got them from merlin for £450 in November.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Has the Marz stuff got uturn capability?

BadlyWiredDog

Unless money or weight are irrelevant to you, I’d maybe consider the Coil U-Turn Sektor – cheap as chips, works okay as stock – and wait for Push to come out with an upgrade to sort out the high-speed rebound. Maybe. In the end it probably depends how hard you ride and how sensitive you are. Sektor’s good on the Pig btw, wanna buy a 16-inch frame…

trickydisco
    Free Member

Mark> Cheers 🙂

Another one who got them before the price hike!

seanodav
    Free Member

@loco, as you are selling zocchi forks are you going to be servicing them as well?
    If so you will be getting mine when time comes

ferrit
    Free Member

tricky – no they don’t….

Had this on my Pikes but I now realise I don’t miss it!

LoCo
    Free Member

seanodav yes as long as they’re not 55’s or have ATA 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’m off to buy these (from other thread)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62252

£90!

seanodav
    Free Member

Theyre 55 rc3 ti’s, cant be any different to 44 rc3 ti’s surely?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m off to buy these (from other thread)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62252

£90!

That has to be an error, but isn’t it the case that even if it is, they still have to honour the sale?

Blower
    Free Member

hmmm

trickydisco
    Free Member

bought 🙂

markenduro
    Free Member

I can hear the dissapointment from here as you open up the email from CRC telling you to **** off…

MaryHinge
    Free Member

When if the Lyriks don’t turn up….

I bought some coil 150mm Sektors recently from CRC, 10% promotion, plus a voucher, plus Topcashback made them very attractively priced 🙂

Only had one ride on the 456 so far, but very nice, supple, smooth, plenty stiff enough for me.

And I haven’t even looked at the settings on them, fitted and ridden.

Very happy, especially given their cost.

Gnnr

Tricky YGM

trickydisco
    Free Member

Tricky YGM

Nope 🙁 not in my spam folder either

Is it still in the outbox 😀

Gnnr

Sent again Tricky – not sure if it’ll be of interest or not… fork swap potential.

Do you reckon your forks are bust? Cheers G

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘(2009) lyrik or coil sektor’ is closed to new replies.