Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2009 Evil Soveriegn, any good?
  • Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

anyone got any experience of the 2009 Evil Soveriegn. I'm looking for a long long hardtail that can take abuse but be nimble and quick uphill too. Most of my riding is 2 to 3 hours of technical ups and downs, some jumps, berms and stuff. At 6' 5" my current bike with an effective top tube of 24" feels too short. The extra large soveriegn is supposed to be 28.8". I have also looked at the santa Cruz Chameleon.

GlennG
    Free Member

I looked at a Soveriegn and had a ride on one (was nice) and as much as I like them I went for a Curtis freeride frame with my own custom angles and lengths, a little bit more than the current soveriegn price but as your tall you can tailor the frame size to suit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Custom sounds ideal, especially at the prices Evils are.

28.8" is pretty ridiculous though!

hora
    Free Member

No steel frame should be over £500. None. There is no reason. The increments of how good a steel frame is over another get less and less. Crackers. Great frame though the previous one was- why was it approaching ti pricing? Close to 600 is still ridiculous.

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

Cynic-al, yeah 28.8 is ridiculous, that should have been 24.8". The fact is if I went custom I wouldn't know what to ask for. Evil have been making cracking bikes for years and know what they're doing. I couldn't face paying upwards of £800 for a custom and get a crock of shite. The only plus point of custom for me is that I have always wanted a reynolds 853 frame but needing a big bike, would it be too whippy. The Evil has oversized tubes that would sujest a stiffer frame.

GlenG, where did you test ride the Sov

tails
    Free Member

just take the angles of your favourite bike to the custom maker then, i'm sure plenty do. plus that curtois guy will be able to advise a bit i bet he knows a thing or two about geo

hora
    Free Member

tails is right. Plus you're only paying c£140 for your own custom geometry etc.

At the end of the day though- the Sovereign cant be 4times better than a 456 or twice as good as an Alpine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2009 Evil Soveriegn, any good?’ is closed to new replies.