Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 2008 or newer A4 Avant – bike compatibility?
  • wbss
    Free Member

I need a car. It needs to fit 2 bike inside, can a 2008 or newer Avant do it?

I guess it depends on the bike, but mines a large spesh stumpjumper evo.

petrieboy

A4 B6 avant here, not sure if the newer ones are any different. The boot is pretty narrow as its square between the arches and the roof line is pretty low.
    My road bike goes straight in flat, hard tail goes in with the seat post out but it is a tight fit and there’s something of a knack to doing it.
    Stumpy FSR needs seat post and front wheel off.

petrieboy

Oh, and because the load area isn’t quite long enough, all the bikes end up with the front wheel turned slightly behind the front seats. This makes getting two in that little bit harder. Certainly possible, but if I need to move 2 bikes I’d rather use the wife’s zafira

qwerty
    Free Member

Had a B7, absolutely pants for bicycles.

legend
    Free Member

Iirc they are only compatible with Orange Fives

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Iirc they are only compatible with Orange Fives

😆

bikebob

I’ve just swapped my 2010 a4 avant. Great car loved it. But as noted above, (I’m talking mountain bikes large /ex large) you will need front wheel out and all seats down and it is much easier with the seat post out.
    I used to be lazy and put mine in with wheel in place but you’ve not chance of doing that with two..
    Great car. Narrow boot but noworse than others.

T666DOM

I had a B7 avant, no problem getting 2 FS bikes in the back with the seats down, front wheels removed and seatposts dropped. And yes one of them was an Orange 5 (18) the other a Zesty (M)

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got a b7 avant… it’ll take a bike in the back with the seats down, but not a lot else.

I use a towbar bike rack. Oh, and I use my van 🙂

Dave

Yetiman
    Free Member

My 2007 Passat Estate was a much better bike carrying car than my previous A4 Estate……there’s a good bit more room in the back and the boot shape is more practical too.

alfabus
    Free Member

passat is the same size an an a6, so not a particularly fair comparison 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

My singlespeed and XC hardtail fit in with both wheels on. To fit in the AM bike (or two bikes) I need to take the front wheel(s) off.

With the rear seat folded 60/30 it can take three bikes and three people if you take both wheels off and remove the seatposts.

greenman
    Free Member

The bike size makes a difference. I ride 16″ Kona hardtail but when my nephew’s 20″ comes along it is more difficult.
    I like my Seat Alhambra, 4 adults bikes (both wheels removed) and 4 adults with a spare seat for kit.

tutgareth
    Free Member

passat is the same size an an a6, so not a particularly fair comparison

not true, the passat is the same platform as the A4. My A6 is miles bigger than my previous passat!

ononeorange

I have a 2002 A4 Avant and can get three large bikes in the back on top of each other with the front wheels out. Not sure if that helps, though.

alfabus
    Free Member

the passat is the same platform as the A4.

every day’s a school day 🙂

A chassis is the Golf, Jetta, Beetle, TT
    B is the Passat, the A4, and the Seat Octavia
    C is the A6
    and D is the Phaeton and the A8.

and according to one thing I read, the ‘new’ (not sure if this is the current ‘new’ or the next ‘new’) passat is based on a stretched A chassis.

Dave

Aidy
    Free Member

I’ve a B6 A4, fits two bikes and plenty of camping gear fine. It is a bit of a faff though, and it tends to be wheels off, seatposts out (just the front off would work, but it’s easier to pack with both out).

I’ve had two bikes, four people, and camping gear in it before, but that did require a fair amount of thought.

Two bikes and two people will fit in most cars – depends on how much effort you’re willing to undergo, though.

messiah
    Free Member

Geekery!

A4 and Passat engines go in different ways so they are not the same platform… Passat B6/7 is on a stretched golf platform.

wbss
    Free Member

thanks for the guidance chaps.

clearly i’ll look into exchanging my bike for an O-5.

ads678

Not really sure how relevant this is, but, I have a 2003 Passat and can get 2 full suss bikes in the boot with all seats up!

Wheels off, turned upside down across the width, but still have the whole back seat fully usable. It’s massive in there!!

Oh and one of them is and Orange five 😀

austen

How much space do you all need, and how hard is it to take the wheels off when you are sticking them in a car. Happily fit my XL bikes in my B7, hardtail with the rear wheel on and the FS I just take both wheels off and have bags of room for other junk.

I would admit that the boot floor is quite high so the loadspace isn’t anywhere near as tall as other estates, but thats the penalty for the 4WD drivetrain and I’m very happy with the compromise.

angeldust
    Free Member

‘B is the Passat, the A4, and the Seat Octavia’

Nope, the SKODA Octavia uses the A (A5 PQ35) platform.

Northwind

ANYWAY. Whatever platform it’s on, the A4 is astonishingly small in the back, for the size of the car. You know all that extra space in the Tardis? It’s extracted from mid-size VAG estates and Volvo V40s. Not proper estates really.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘2008 or newer A4 Avant – bike compatibility?’ is closed to new replies.