Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2013 carbon nomad or new bird aeris?
  • porter_jamie

been offered a 2013 carbon nomad with xt, hope/mavic and fox 34 160mm for 1800. 26″ wheels, i’m 99% sure.

or, i can get a new aeris frame with monarch, 160mm pikes, hope wheel set and a reverb from bird for about 2.3k and then i can reuse my nearly new 1×10 transmission and xt brakes off my old heckler which is basically knackered.

all i would then need would be tyres and the odd bit i i’d have an essentially new bike with 650b wheels. i do worry that 26″ tyre availability will be an issue soon (you can’t find them in shops anymore i have found, and i also would prefer pikes by choice.

so, save myself 500 quid or so, or not? i have ridden an aeris and i really liked it and i think i want to get one

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Not.
    650b wheels
    Pike way better than a 160mm 2013 34

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Buy the new one

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Get a new bird – even sounds good 😉

porter_jamie

well done chaps, you have confirmed what i already thought. i have an alps trip planned for aug bh weekend – i need to fabricate a terrible issue with the heckler forks and tell her indoors the only sensible way is to buy an aeris – you just cant get non tapered forks these days dear…

jamesmio
    Free Member

i need to fabricate a terrible issue with the heckler forks and tell her indoors

You’ll never get replacement seals to fix ‘that leak’ for such an old, obsolete bit of kit in time for going away. Frankly, it’d be dangerous, to the point of negligent to even consider riding on such a haphazard piece of equipment.

A new bike is the only feasible option.

(I’m getting good at this, can you tell?!)

porter_jamie

Well, just spun a similar tale and I shall be on the phone tomorrow….

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I bloody love my 26″ nomad. Recently properly fallen on love with it completely. As capable as my V10 and will pedal up hill. The 2012/2013 34 CTD’s are awful however. Ended up pulling the CTD out and replacing it with a Avvy cart.

That said if I could I’d swap it for a 27.5 nomad in a heartbeat but I can’t justify the moment as the 26″ is more than enough bike.

Tyres wise specialized still do a cracking line of 26″ for good prices.

2.3k however should get you a s/h Mk1 650b nomad frame and fork and cheap wheels and use your old bits.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Incidentally I don’t know what size nomad you need but there is a 650b frame on eBay for £1200…

dubber
    Free Member

I’m sure the last time I checked birds website there were only medium or large left in limited colours so something to bear in mind perhaps …. Great bike by the way.

fathomer

If I wanted that much bike and didn’t mind second hand, this looks a decent buy if it’s your size!

porter_jamie

ordered. i ordered a complete bike in the end as it was literally only £150 quid more and i get some brakes, bars, cranks and transmission to rebuild the heckler with so i can sell it…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2013 carbon nomad or new bird aeris?’ is closed to new replies.