Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 2007 Float R's to 2012 Revelation RL's – Worthy upgrade?
  • mokl
    Free Member

I built up my Yeti 575 frame with some Floats I had from a hardtail build a year or so back. I think they are 2007 model (poss 2008), which are the basic “R”, so no lockout or compression adjustment. I removed a spacer so that they run at 140mm, but to me they seem flexy and uncontrolled – they are QR lowers. Question then, would I notice a big difference in stiffness and damping performance by chucking some Rev’s on there, even the fairly basic RL’s? I have some 2008 Reba’s (dual air) on my Superlight, and really rate them, but they are much shorter travel. I have recently serviced the Floats and replaced the seals, but they either feel boingy with the pressure set on the low side, or not really plush at all and “skippy” with the pressure increased. I was thinking of getting rid of the 575, but there is a lot I like about it, and wonder if all it needs is a stiffer, more controlled fork to improve the ride (desperately miss the lockout feature too). Thought about upgrading the internals on the Floats, but that doesn’t solve the QR issure. I should add that I am not really heavy for my height (72KG)and definitely not a “point and smash” kind of rider. I am surprised that I can feel the forks flexing, but it’s either that or something to do with the damping in the forks making them feel that way.

Opinions?

deanfbm
    Free Member

Worn bushes on your fox’s allowing the uppers to rock in the lowers? This will certainly give a noodly effect.

Wedge your thumb or finger between the bracing arch and a stanchion, apply front brake, rock back and fourth.

The revs will feel stiffer and maybe more controlled though.

mokl
    Free Member

Thanks dean, but I think the bushes are okay. Not getting any knocking. The Floats are in really decent shape really, they’ve had a pretty easy life!

edit: I will double check this when I get home though!

Shorty121
    Free Member

Why not go for some 2012 floats? I rate my revelations alot

mokl
    Free Member

@shorty121 – cost of Floats esceeds my budget and some great deals about on Rev’s. Plus I’ve been very happy with my Reba’s.

mactheknife

Moki, im upgrading 🙂 as we speak from 2010 Fox Float RL that came with my stumpy to revelations RLT. I know its not an exact comparison but i should have a good idea of the differences after next week when i have had the new forks out for a couple of rides.

mokl
    Free Member

Not selling those Floats are you mactheknife (assuming they’re 140 travel)?

purser_mark
    Free Member

Rev team with the black box damping make a big differnce IMO. Great to slow down the fork when you need too. Saying that I also have a set of Rev RL’s on my Cotic, they are a little plusher and very much a fit and forget item.

Ran 2009 Float RL’s on my Blur for a few years, no complaints, they were the 15mm version. Tried some 2011 Floats the other day, they were super plush. Personaly I prefer the 20mm bolt through and damping of RS’s, but thats comparing a high end model with a much lower version.

Difference between 15-20mm small, difference between 9mm and 20mm would be noticeably more stiff.

mactheknife

Moki that i am, was going to put them on here after the weekens.

I had them extended to 140 from 130 last year when i sent them off to TF Tuned for a service.

Do u want pics??

mokl
    Free Member

mac, would like some pics please. It depends what you want for them tbh! What is the axle size?

mokl
    Free Member

..email in profile 🙂

mactheknife

Mate i have just read back and u may not want them, they are 9MM QR.

Up to u buddy. Looking for a hundred quid really. 😀

mokl
    Free Member

Might have them off you if they are in good order? Would like to see pics.

mactheknife

No worries, the bike shop have them as they are fitting the revelations. Should have them tomorrow, ill get pics and steerer length to you then.

mokl
    Free Member

Quick update for anybody that might be interested. I took the plunge and pulled the trigger on some Rev RL’s from Merlin. Have only taken them out round the local woods so far, but they seem exactly as I had hoped. I am convinced that steering precision and feel from the through axle is a great improvement – the front end seems to communicate what’s happening much better. This is probably old news to those of you who have been running a through maxle etc for years lol! In the slippery mud I felt I was much better able to deal with and control the front wheel gripping and releasing through the turns, where as with my old Floats you felt isolated from the front end in some ways. The damping feels like it’s on a completely different level as well, but I guess they are 5 years worth of development on from my Fox. I know how good the new Fox stuff is, but I’m really happy with my Rev’s thus far. Certainly don’t want to sell the 575 now. mactheknife – how are you getting on with yours?

mactheknife

Alright buddy, had a couple of rides on mine now and been playing around with this dual air gubbins a lot trying to get them dialled in. At the moment I am running them about 30 psi lower than stated on the leg but they feel spot on.

Not too happy about losing 15 mm of travel if I pump more air into the negative chamber for a plusher initial stroke but that’s just the way it goes with these forks.

But as for feel im absolutely loving them. Very smooth and plush.

Getting a set of lyriks off a mate soon for a trip to Spain and I’m hoping I don’t love them too much as I might just keep them. Might just run the revelations for UK riding and the lyriks for European trips.

mokl
    Free Member

I’m fairly used to the dual air from my Rebas, but I find that I only need about 5 psi or so more in the neg chamber, although I guess it depends a bit on the feel you want. Are you turning the bike upside down before emptying the neg chamber? I always empty the neg completely when setting positive, pump positive to desired pressure then add negative as required. This way works muych better in my experience.

mactheknife

cheers mokl, had a ride today and i think i have them sorted, im running them equal pressure because every time i added more to the negative i lost a fair bit of travel. So im happy for now.

Lots to tweak on these forks but once i get them sorted im sure ill be made up.

Quite a firm feeling that i like compared to the float rl i had previously.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘2007 Float R's to 2012 Revelation RL's – Worthy upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.