Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2006 Specialized EPIC swing arm hanger mount broke
  • Nitram
    Free Member

Hey guys, looking for some advice. The hanger mount on my epic has broke off and I need to find a replacement. The hanger has two screws to attach, and the hanger mount from the swing arm has split on the lower of the two screw holes. Specialized say they don’t make it anymore. Any ideas where I can find a part. I was thinking maybe the new direct mount derailleur system would do.

Its held in place when the wheel is clamped and that’s ok for short rides but I wouldn’t want to depend on it.

Thanks, Martin

wwaswas

have you got a picture?

maybe it could be repaired. does it affect the wheel mounting or just the mech?

dependign on dropout design this might let you mount a mech with some bodging;

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/dmr-chain-tug-mech-hanger

stumpy01

Have you looked on the betd website? They have hundreds of mech hangers with decent pics so you can compare to your busted one…

graemep
    Free Member

If it’s a Specialized 9895-4020 Mech Hanger (G) that you need (according to Evans cycles website it fits the 06-10 Epic FSR) then I have an un-used one for sale, £7 posted.

wwaswas

I think the problem is that the mount for the mech hanger has broken as well?

stumpy01

Oh yeah. It does seem that way, now I’ve re-read it.

Might have to take the part to a machine shop & ask them to make one.

Russell96

I had my old Epic do the same, lower screw hole bust, all I did was put on a new hanger with the one screw hole and it was fine as the QR skewer tightens against it to hold it in place.

Nitram
    Free Member

Thanks yall, I’ve got the hanger and a spare. Its the mount that’s busted.

Bike is upside down.

I also got a spare fsr hanger which is a single bit bolt thru I am thinking of drilling it out and using that but that would be a poss.

M

Nitram
    Free Member
    richmtb

Exactly the same thing happened to my Stumpy HT a 2004 I think I just put the mech hanger back on using a single bolt. The single bolt plus the tension of the QR is enough to keep it pretty secure.

I still have my Stumpjumper, although its now mainly used for commuting, I’ve not had any issues with the mech hanger moving

Nitram
    Free Member

OK thanks guys, I will frig it like you said. I just hate the nagging worry of that long walk home pushing a broken bike…I do carry a chain breaker so I can go single speed if needed.

Other than that the bike is brill, spesh weren’t that helpful, probably more interested in selling me some carbon fibre thing that wouldn’t take the abuse this one has taken.

M

njee20
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry, all the bolts do is stop the mech hanger dropping off when you take the wheel out.

You should probably have had an aluminium breakaway bolt in that hole – Spesh gave us a big bag of them to replace all steel bolts with. The problem as you’ve found is that the bolt is stronger than the frame.

Use one bolt and forget about it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2006 Specialized EPIC swing arm hanger mount broke’ is closed to new replies.