Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 2006 Mac Mini to 2006 Mac Pro, worth it?
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

As per title really, is it worth upgrading? Mini is a core duo 1.66, would just get a 1.1 mac pro as I have minimal spare cash.

I do nothing of note on it other than watching films, and the mini struggles with hd. Already maxed out the ram.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Mac Pro could take a bigger graphics card. Is the processor or the bus on the memory faster ?

woody74

What I would check is the max memory that both of them can take. I have found with older macs that if you charge them full of memory then they still work really well. I think this will make more difference then anything else like processor speed.

RichPenny
    Free Member

My mac mini only takes 2gb, whereas the pro will take 16 I think. Just wondering if the jump in performance is enough to a low spec pro.

allfankledup

I use a first gen Intel host as a media server, hooked up to an external drive (cheap NAS) – it sends all the films/music etc to apple tv/airport servers dotted around the house.

The box works as a headless unit – and it’s great – can support 2 different films in different rooms (seperate apple tv) plus music being played elsehwere

I don’t think I would go to a Mac Pro tbh

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘2006 Mac Mini to 2006 Mac Pro, worth it?’ is closed to new replies.