• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2006 Golf 1.9tdi, thoughts please
  • core

I need a new car, soon, very soon.

My girlfriend’s sister is about to advertise her Golf, it’s a 2006 1.9tdi SE, 5 door, gunmetal grey. 90k miles. Needs another cambelt now, and a service too I expect.

In the 4 years she’s had it, it’s mostly done motorway & dual carriageway miles, before that, her mum had it and pootled around in it, literally, bought as an ex demonstrator. It’s basically mint cosmetically and general condition.

She was thinking £3k, but probably hoping £2.8k I guess, it needs £500 spending.

Thoughts? I do 20,000 miles a year on not great roads, need something dependable and economical, bit scared of modern diesels, so are there any hidden horrors with these Golfs?

jam-bo

Good engines. Comfy cars but crap handling if you like to ‘make progress’

Price sounds way too high.

core

Most of my miles are 55mph or less in works time, on country roads, I’ve had 2 focii now, mk1 & mk2, guess the handling is going to be worse, but can live with that probably.

I’m more concerned about turbo, injectors, dmf, egr etc shitting themselves imminently and getting very costly? Don’t think these had the dreaded DPF though?

Scamper
    Free Member

2006 is a mark 5 right? Vast improvement dynamically over the previous golf. I’ve got the estate s trim version with the 105ps 1.9 which is plenty. Engine a bit agricultural but pretty bullet proof, just keep on top of the oil changes. I paid 3.8k 2 months ago 08 plate with 61k, cam belt done. I actually prefer it to my previous 2012 Passat 1.6tdi.

sammaratti
    Free Member

Great cars and the 1.9 is supposedly a more solid engine than the 2.0 that replaced it.

Seems about 1k over priced though especially if you have to do the cam belt and service .

3k would get you a gt tdi

chestrockwell

Agree with the above. The golf premium does not change the fact it’s a nearly 10 year old car with 90k on the clock so £3000 with a known £500 bill coming is well over the top. At that sort of money anything you get will be worth very little when you have finished with it so I’d be looking around to see what else £3500 will get you.

matt_outandabout

I got £2.5k for a Touran/2005/160k/1.9td/scratched to hell/ needed service, timing belt, original clutch and turbo playing up

trademark
    Free Member

Needing a £500 spend, I’d want that car for £2k.
    Does she know it needs spending on?
    *Selling it within the family saves her the hassle of the tyre kickers and air-through-teeth-suckers that she’ll be advertising to.

*can also have adverse effect if it breaks and you take it personally …

Drac

Good cars I’ve only had 2ltr version though but essentially the same car. They do handle well trust me on that one.

garage-dweller

I had an 05 1.9 from new as a lease car for three years and 60000 miles.

It had far better road manners than my wife’s 56 plate A3 (2.0) (the A3 always seemed nose heavy and wooden in comparison) and was not the poor handler suggested above. Don’t mistake that for being exciting but for fast flowy A road driving it’s plenty well enough balanced for a mainstream car with decent steering feel and mechanical grip.

There are plenty of better dynamically cars and heaps more worse ones but as a package for going places comfortably and economically it’s really good. It’s got a decent driving position and general ergonomics too.

Not sure where the price sites vs market value.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Pretty bullet proof if you get the cambelt and waterpump done. It’s the 103bhp so not going to set the world alight but a solid commuter with decent economy. As for price who knows what people will pay for a VW!

core

I think it’s a £2.5k (or a bit more) car if it was all up together, but wanting £500 spending immediately, £2k has to be about it. Similar things on Autotrader for £3k upwards.

drlex
    Free Member

Like garage-dweller, I had a ’05 1.9 from new – 5 years as a company car, then another almost 5 as a private car, racking up 130K in that time with only a new front hub bearing as a failure. Just when I wanted rid of it to rejoin company car scheme, it had a gear selection issue which was a £800 transmission job, so gave it to a friend for her son’s first car. Garage guy said if it had been a Renault/Citroen/Peugeot hatchback, probably wouldn’t have bothered fixing, but a VW was worth doing. A year later and it’s still going fine.

Price, as others have said, sounds high, but people will pay for the marque, despite current emissions scandal.

Pook

Exactly what I’ve got. Love it. Solid runner, 86k. Doing 30k a year and not missed a beat.

All I’ve had done is a warped disc, but I do cane it, and the cam belt when I bought it.

Very good car.

I got mine for £5800 at 36000 miles.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2006 Golf 1.9tdi, thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.