Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2006 Enduro, worth upgrading the shock or not?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

from the DHX5 air that came on it to a DHX 5 coil?

16stonepig
    Free Member

I’ve thought about doing the same. You should be able to get the same lenght, and a coil will mean you won’t blow through the mid-stroke quite as easily.

Bear in mind that the DHX air fitted to the Enduros has a sealed off boost valve as you can’t get a pump on it with the frame in the way. Make sure there’s no intereference with the frame there on the coil shock.

will…
    Free Member

You’d be better getting a decent service on it, get more compression damping added to help with the blow thru…. give mojo a ring, it’ll be worth doing, really!

HTH,
    Will…

freeride_gear
    Free Member

The enduro is a special length shock, i had an s works with dhx air and i wanted to do the same. I think mojo can shorten the stroke (the Enduro runs a 8.5 x 2.25 rather than the usual 8.5 x 2.5 size) on a dhx coil but its all on top of the cost of a new shock. As already said, you can get the dhx air tuned for more mid stroke compression damping but i just used to crank up the propedal on mine and it seemed pretty good, certainly better than my old Bullit with a dhx which once moving in the stroke was unstoppable till the end of its travel!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i may be wrong, but i’m sure i remember reading soemwhere that running a 8.5 x 2.5 shock in the slack position gives a little more travel than standard, but with geometry marginly slacker than the steep setting (once sag had been accounted for). And there was enough clearance to fit the boost valve in.

freeride_gear
    Free Member

the back wheel hits the seat tube in that configuration – see MTBR.com

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“the back wheel hits the seat tube in that configuration – see MTBR.com “

Only on a small frame. I’ve got a medium 06 s-works enduro and have run both a rocco RC and DHX5 coil shocks at 2.75″ stroke and never had a problem with the wheel/lonkage hitting the frame. This is using the low BB shuttle. I’ve never tried it with the high BB shuttle

“the Enduro runs a 8.5 x 2.25 rather than the usual 8.5 x 2.5 size” only on the lower models in the range (the Expert I think). The upper two or three bikes (i.e. Pro and S works) came with a 2.5″ stroke shock giving a little bit more travel.

The bike is lovelly with a coil on it, especially the Rocco RC which I had ‘pushed’. You just could not tell the rear suspension was there, it just felt as if you were riding on a smooth trail even through rock gardens.

I’ve never tried it with an air shock though so can’t compare the two.

Big thread on fitment of coil shocks HERE. General opinion is that a 8.75″x2.5″ and 8.75″x2.75″ DHX 5 coil will fit when you use the low BB shuttle. You need to remove the metal valve cap on the boost chamber and replace it with a flat plastic cap from an inner tube valve.

If your DHX air is 2.25″ stroke then you’ll have approx. 140mm rear wheel travel, whereas with a 2.5″ shock you’ll get 150mm and with a 2.75″ shock you’ll get approx 166mm rear wheel travel. Considering which forks you are using you may alter the geometry a bit.

TFTuned can fit a spacer to a 2.75″ coil shock to limit it to 2.5″ if you want to be sure there will be no frame contact

coolhandluke
    Free Member

not sure I’d like to steepen the head angle by increasing rear travel to be honest so Enduro length would do me.

It has the slack BB shuttle in and I like it like that and is a Large frame.

So, service the Air or buy a coil?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

A mate has a large 06 enduro and replaced the dhx air with a dhx 5 from tftuned. The bike rides really nicely with the coil shock. If you can sell your dhx air go for it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2006 Enduro, worth upgrading the shock or not?’ is closed to new replies.