Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2005 Z1 FR1 issues
  • ExtremElmo
    Free Member

Hi all,

Issues with 2nd had forks: I’m suspicious about the arrangement under the right hand top cap. There is a floating aluminium disc beneath an air valve on a shaft which is integral to the top cap. The spacers are clumsily butted up against it. What is this ring? It doesn’t look strong enough to take on the compression forces, I’m probably wrong, but does this arrangement sound kosher to anyone else?!

Elmo

Yetiman
    Free Member

I think you’re talking about the washer which sits between the top cap and the spring. Does this link help?

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/fettling/z150.htm

ExtremElmo
    Free Member

I found this site a couple of days ago and the top cap they pull out is different to the one ive got. Is there any way of putting photos on the thread, then people can see what im dealing with. Thanks for helping out.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What model freerides are they? What travel are they set at at the moment?

I think under the right hand top cap you should have some sort of configuration screwed onto the damping rod, then a metal disc (like you described) then a black plastic spacer, then the spring. Alternatively the black plastic spacer may be under the spring. This is if they are set at 150mm of travel. If they are at 130m then the black plastic spacer should be under the damping cartridge jsut above the top out spring (you wont be able to get to it without removing the footnuts.

Try this link here http://www.nicksimports.se/index.php?page=30_1

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just realised they are FR1’s. In that case, you cant change the travel I dont think

ExtremElmo
    Free Member

Thanks david, that link was useful – it shows the same type of top cap as the one I have, and the spacers and spring were butted up against the floating alloy ring, so I guess the arrangemant i found in my fork is correct. (still suspicious though, as the spacers and the ring dont mate very well)

ExtremElmo
    Free Member

Maybe they are Z2?! (the decals have been taken off)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They didnt make a Z2 in 2005. Post a pic of them if you are unsure.

If they are a dark grey colour with rebound then they are probably FR2’s

If they are black with ETA and rebound then FR1’s

If they are black with no adjusters then FR3’s

ExtremElmo
    Free Member

Definatly fr1 then, wish id never taken them apart now! but I do love fettling. C

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2005 Z1 FR1 issues’ is closed to new replies.