Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 2002 Orange Patriot frame
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Basically are they any good, anything that you should watch out for (ie places they’re prone to cracking) etc? I’m not that bothered about it being old as my current frame’s quite old as well, I’ve never ridden brand new stuff! And so long as it’s solid/reliable then I can probably deal with heavier weight of old tech.

Have found one for sale with the right kind of spring weight for me for £250 (also includes seatpost + clamp), is that about right? Apparently the older ones took “shorter” travel forks like my 140mm Pikes quite well – so I would be able to do a straight frame transplant from my current bike.

It would be for UK downhill, maybe a little bit of pedalling around cannock, and also with a view to take to Canada with me (would work out loads cheaper than buying when out there). So this kind of links in with my other Whistler thread!

oldbloke
    Free Member

Been riding once since 2002. It is the only bit of the bike which is original & seems to be bombproof. Just seems to be a case of replacing pivot bearings every now and again.

can’t tell you what it is worth – haven’t tried to sell mine yet.

3dpatriot
    Free Member

Have the 2003 Patriot with the option to change the travel on the back. Its pretty much bomb proof and me been on the larger size it’s taken a beating over the years from fort William down hill to general use 3 time a week oh and a trip to the Alps about 3 years ago.

Ok the frame and shock are only original bits left of the bike from when I bough it brand new, but just carnt face to sell it and buy something a tad lighter but the frame is as good today as the day i bough it bar a few dints and scratches.

You will never regret buying a patriot and still looks as relevant today as 8 years ago, as lets be honest orange haven’t really done much in terms of radical design changes in all them years.

Simple single pivot perfection I need say no more apart from its heavy :O)

_tom_
    Free Member

Good reviews so far 🙂 How much does it actually weigh with a coil shock?

Oh and are frame spares such as bearings and bolts easy to source? I’ve never had a full sus so I dunno what’s “normal” maintenance wise.

3dpatriot
    Free Member

weight weenies have it listed as 3600g if thats any help with shock

_tom_
    Free Member

About 8lbs then.. tbh not half as bad as I was expecting given that I’ve read bottlerockets are about 9-10lbs 🙂 Sounds like I could be onto a winner.

Northwind

The very old ones have pretty oldfashioned geometry, they’re tough as old boots but I wouldn’t, personally. I was really looking forward to trying one but IMO it’s a less capable frame than most modern trailbikes. And too expensive for such an old frame. But some people do love them, they were very ahead of their time really.

wl
    Free Member

Two mates still run their Patriot 66s, both with old Bomber 66 forks (long axle to crown) and they fly on them downhill. The long forks make it super slack, and it’s a tough frame with predictable suspension. I had a 2001 Patriot which was great, and now I ride one from the last year they made them – even better.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pretty sure the pre 03 ones had a habit of cracking on the shock mounts on the frame. For 2003 they updated them, from this:

To this 2003

_tom_
    Free Member

hmm if that’s true then maybe I won’t bother. Will be giving Orange an email anyway to see if I can find out about the geometry so I’ll ask about that as well!

Are there any other older frames in this sort of price range I could consider? Really anything £300-400 that riders well with 140mm forks is what I’m looking at! There’s just something very cool looking about the Patriots 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Have a look here – all the Orange catalogues/geometry from 1991 onwards.

Oh, and in answer to your other question – what about an older Heckler? I’ve just built up a 2002 (I think) – perfect at 130-150 up front.

scunny
    Free Member

Specialized sx

intense tazer

for £300/400 you could pick up an Enduro, which would be much better suited to a season in Canada.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cannondale prophet. Or if you sold your forks and bought some 160mm 66’s/domains you could get a giant reign, specialized sx or a newer patriot 66 for around the £350 to £400 mark.

_tom_
    Free Member

mm old geometry indeed, 70 degree head angle so maybe I won’t bother! mamadirt your heckler looks awesome 😀

z1ppy

Can I add an alternative for consideration?
    The Cannondale Gemini, they sell for around the same price if not less. 2002 onwards IIRC, 1.5 headtube so you can use bargain 1.5 forks or the new tapered ones. Proper fully spec’d DH version are available too.

el_boufador

I had a 2003 Patriot. It was good fun on the downs, but for anything involving pedalling it was a bit of a pig due to the high & forward pivot (pivot got moved back & lower in later years).

Good call on the Gemini zippy – they got raved about at the time.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Cheers _tom_ – I’m really pleased with it 😀 . I’d been searching for a small Patriot when I spotted it on ebay.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Orange got the geometry right with the patriot 66, which i think was 2006 onwards, i have one and they are pretty much bang on with geometry, i have totems on mine with a ccdb and the bike feels brilliant for steep rocky stuff, you should be able to pick a patriot 66 frame up for less than £300 on ebay.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well theres a medium orange Heckler on ebay now which I may have my eye on! If I can’t get anything good for cheap here I’ll probably just wait til I get out there and see what I can get 🙂

+ there’s a gemini on ebay in a really really gopping green finish 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Heres some forks, http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,247624.0.html

Gemini frame sounds good. The geometry on hecklers always looks well skewiff. They look really steep

MikeL
    Free Member

I have a large Cannondale Gemini frame for sale currently with a 140 lefty max fork (happy to remove) – I also have an fox air shock and a fox spring shock sutible for the frame.

Mike

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘2002 Orange Patriot frame’ is closed to new replies.