Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • 2002 bullit for under £200, wondering whether to buy?
  • jhw
    Free Member

I used to have one of these but had to sell it. It was always an excellent bike, and £200 for this frame seems like a good deal, but I worry that because it's already nearly ten years old, the frame (6061 aluminium) might have fatigued, the shock might be shot, and the pivots might be wrecked. Also it's a silver frame so I can't tell if there are any scuffs or scratches, which might have affected the integrity of the frame (or at least provide an indication of how well looked after the frame is).

I think my queries are:

– will an 8 year old frame (albeit massively overbuilt) typically be too fatigued to last another 4 years (the lifespan I need)?
    – do Fox Vanilla RCs tend to be too degraded to function well after 8 years, or is it simply a matter of oil change/replace seals (and are these available)?
    – do Santa Cruz bearings from this period tend to degrade (are they sealed, or rubbish little teflon things like Specialized c1998?); if yes, are they replaceable?

Thanks to all!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

mojo or TF can service the shocks, bearings are easy to replace, the frame would depend on how much of a thrashing its had.

roblerner
    Free Member

will an 8 year old frame (albeit massively overbuilt) typically be too fatigued to last another 4 years (the lifespan I need)?

If you expect to be using this in 4 years…would you *want* to ride a 1998 bullit now? Too old for my liking, and over priced for the age.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘2002 bullit for under £200, wondering whether to buy?’ is closed to new replies.