Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • £2,000,000,000,000,000
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

News article on Quantitive Easing

Two tillion quid right? £2000 billion.(anticipates any corrections from maths you boffins out there).

This is the value of bonds that the Bank of England bought from our financially hopeless government – sorry to all you ardent labour supporters, just telling it like it is!

I expect someone to say it was Margaret Thatcher’s fault. They always do, but she was right for our country back in 1979 when unions were holding the country to ransom. Militancy killed our economy! It forced some businesses to run at a loss and seriouslt effected the quality of the products we made then. It even resulted in innocent Britons sitting in the dark when they shut all the mains the power off without any warning! The tail was wagging the dog in those days. Thatcher took on these economic vandals and won. She was wrong on some issues, but was generally right for Britain.

So back to 2009, with all this money sloshing around in bank’s coffers after this massive cash injection, why isn’t credit now freely available? Why aren’t we experiencing a mini housing boom?

I am not an economics expert, but if a commodity is scarce, doesn’t it command a high price? Conversely when there is a plethora of a particular commodity, it’s value decreases doesn’t it?

So if we manufacture 2 Trillion pounds sterling, doesn’t that devalue our currency?

If businesses have a weaker unit of currency, don’t they have to put their prices up?

The net result is that our savings and income will effectively shrink.

As the 0.5% base rate and all this cheap money is not making any difference (we are experiencing negative growth), isn’t inflation going to be a nasty shock when the economy finally turns the corner?

My advice would be to stop spending if you have any debts and get them cleared. Most people have a lot of debt and are scared about their security, so are doing just that.

Measures put in place by Alistair Darling were supposed to encourage us all to keep spending. Seems like totally the wrong thing for an individual to do in the current climate and Darling’s move was an act of desperation.

The cost of this stimulation package is going to hit us in the pocket for at least a decade. It’s clear that the Chancellor’s economic forecasting was at best very poor and he misjusdged a premature recovery in the economy. So the entire exercise appears to have been a waste of our money, but we still have the tax rises to pay for this fiasco yet to come. Tax increases in a deep recession? Nice one Alistair!

Perhaps he will try and borrow even more money. Just how long can you keep patchin holes when new ones keep appearing? Our AAA rating is under threat, so if we do borrow any more money, it will cost us even more.

When is he going to realise that we have to make big spending cuts and stop borrowing money??

Maybe we should have not intervened with all these failing institutions, but this would have resulted in economic meltdown.

The purpertrators of this mess have got off lightly. In some cases they have benefitted whilst the people in the rest of the community have taken a big hit.

I conclude that we are in some deep doo doo.

We need a courageous and competent administration to get us out of this mess.

I am totally dismayed at how the recent MP’s expense fiddles has dominated the news recently. The blatant offenders need sacking and then prosecuting, but the sums involved are chicken feed really.

We need to get back to focusing on the big picture.

Can someone sort it out please, I need to cut the grass! 😀

Vortexracing

I agree

but it is a bit heavy for a bank holiday saturday morning.

go ride and calm down

scaredypants

think you may have an excess 000 in there – ever considered a career in investment banking ??

shortbaldone
    Free Member

thats enough for at least 2 carbon bling yetis by my calculations (doesnt work in finance)

silverpigeon
    Free Member

So back to 2009, with all this money sloshing around in bank’s coffers after this massive cash injection, why isn’t credit now freely available? Why aren’t we experiencing a mini housing boom

Because the cash was used to either write off losses and/or to be held as capital as a buffer against future write offs – which are an inevitable consequence of a recession. Freely available credit is what led to this mess in the first place, a restriction of credit is a painful but necessary adjustment. Besides the government might make a profit yet on the shares they bought.

Tis true though, it a gargantuan cock up of epic proportions

RudeBoy
    Free Member

She was wrong on some issues, but was generally right for Britain.

Sweet Jesus of Nazareth… 😯

Me
    Free Member

if a commodity is scarce, doesn’t it command a high price? Conversely when there is a plethora of a particular commodity, it’s value decreases doesn’t it?

So if we manufacture 2 Trillion pounds sterling, doesn’t that devalue our currency?

If businesses have a weaker unit of currency, don’t they have to put their prices up?

The net result is that our savings and income will effectively shrink.

Money Supply up shifts LM out, r2 achieved through multiplyer (intrest rate too low to appear on my diagram) but rises to r3. New equilibirum in IS/LM means Agg Demand (AD) shifts out, prices rises (inflation) to p4. Real money supply now decreases, so LM shifts back but because of wage stickiness, menu costs etc the labour market won’t respond perfectly. Result is higher employment (N4).

Combined with the increases in gov spending and the tax cuts (which should both shift IS out) it doesn’t seem like a bad plan (for getting us out of the mess we are in… whoevers fault it was).

Caveats: degree of wage/price stickiness, flex xchange rates, elasticites, ricardian equilvilance and effect on real wage rates unknown (nominal up but so are prices).

I am not an economics expert

Indeed

headfirst
    Free Member

Ahh, but Me, I see you have not embraced the renaissance of Keynesianism. There’s a strong argument that we are currently on ‘the flat part’ of Keynes’ LRAS and so AD can increase without any inflationary effect due to the slack in the economy. I can tell you’re a proper economist though, because you’ve over-complicated things 🙄 I, on the other hand, am only an economics teacher 😳

Northwind

“Two tillion quid right? £2000 billion.(anticipates any corrections from maths you boffins out there).”

I’m no maths boffin, but I can read- the article says 2 billion right at the start.

“LONDON, England (CNN) — The Bank of England bought £2 billion ($2.8 billion) of government bonds Wednesday as the UK introduced quantitative easing to kickstart the ailing economy.”

And 2 billion pounds in national economy scales is not an awful lot of money.

zaskar
    Free Member

Thatcher? LOL.

She got people to buy council houses so when they had mortgages they couldn’t strike and then raised interest levels.

She let people die and the battleship in the Falklands so she could win the next election.

Me
    Free Member

In my defence it’s not my argument!- that’s out of Branson (’89), I’m still a student so I’m not allowed to have opinions of my own 😥

You might think that picking up the slack in the economy would be a good idea though… ?

Also economics wouldn’t be any fun if it wasn’t complicated, admit it! 🙂

El-bent
    Free Member

I expect someone to say it was Margaret Thatcher’s fault.

You’ve got to start somewhere and it started here.

They always do, but she was right for our country back in 1979 when unions were holding the country to ransom.

Unlike the kind of people who she and successive Governments have let hold us to ransom since.

Militancy killed our economy! It forced some businesses to run at a loss and seriouslt effected the quality of the products we made then.

Yes the quality of the product was dodgy to say the least, but to simply close down industries in the way it was done was suspect, now confirmed.

It even resulted in innocent Britons sitting in the dark when they shut all the mains the power off without any warning!

Well theres nothing like being held to ransom by the privatised energy companies, kind of makes me feel like all dewy eyed for the “bad old days”.

The tail was wagging the dog in those days.

Let me just adjust that for you: The tail is wagging the dog these days.

Thatcher took on these economic vandals and won.

But created others who along with the help successive Governments voted by us have just sacked Rome again.

She was wrong on some issues, but was generally right for Britain.

If you call what we as a nation economically, socially, ethically have become, then yes.

I don’t.

The purpertrators of this mess have got off lightly. In some cases they have benefitted whilst the people in the rest of the community have taken a big hit.

I’m kind of having a hard time distinguishing “perpetrators” and “people in the rest of the community” from each other.

We need a courageous and competent administration to get us out of this mess.

But what we are going to get is the Conservative party.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘£2,000,000,000,000,000’ is closed to new replies.