Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • £2000 29er hardtail
  • sam3000

HI, I’m looking at £2000 hardtails.

So far the cubes have taken my fancy-

The reaction gtc sl £1699

and the elite C:62 £1999

does anybody have any experience with these bikes, or bikes of a similar price range?

Thanks in advance

bikeneil
    Free Member

Custon built Solaris would be way more fun than a Pube!

welshfarmer

Or custom built Kinesis FF29. I built one using high end stuff for around that money including a reverb and Crossmax SLR wheels.

NormalMan

Solaris or Sherpa.

danti

What kind of riding will you mostly be doing with it?

If I was spending £2k is be going custom, Fireline if you don’t mind sourcing a few 2nd hand bits, Solaris or Sherpa are all excellent Trail/XC frames that could be built up really nicely for that budget rather than off the shelf.

sam3000

I’m looking at more xc orientated.

I’d like a fork with a remote lockout if possible.

I like the idea of a threaded b.b, however not essential- i’m not sure I could get a custom build as light weight as the cubes are (10.6kg)

Anymore thoughts?

jonnyrockymountain

What size frame would you be after?
    As I might be selling my kinesis sync ti 29er custom build, 100mm sid’s, 1×11, American Classic wheels, carbon bars/post etc (size 17.5) if any good email me at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk

bikeneil
    Free Member

Get a Solaris and a bag of feathers. Then you’d have a great fun bike and something that’s light.

mcnultycop

Cannondale f29 at Pauls looks ace.

woodnut
    Free Member

Black Sin £1750 and <10kg

parkesie
    Free Member

F29 from pauls is indeed ace.

sam3000

The black sin looks interesting- shame they only have 21″ frames.

I think I’m looking for a medium, or 16-17″ – I’m 5′ 6″ – I’ve never owned a 29er before.

I’m not so sure about owning a lefty- plus the spec on the cannondale looks fairly low compared to many others in the range.

Brilliant suggestions so far- keep them coming,

I’m also considering 2nd hand so email rockymerlin@btinternet.com if you have anything.

Sam

yossarian
    Free Member
    Cowman

Built my Sherpa up for a similar price. Its bloody fantastic.

SirHC

Custom built Solaris. A lot of 29ers feel far too racey and so personally not that enjoyable. Solaris is on the slack side for a 29er and rides all the better for it.

£2k would get you a very good spec (mine would be just shy if I hadn’t raided the parts bin).

tpbiker
    Free Member

Scott Scale?

Avoid the Canyon unless you want a head down xc racebike. I have one and its unpleasant

BillOddie

To echo others, 2k would get you a very nice custom built on a nice £500 frame.

My Chromag Rootdown came in at about that with Pikes and nice finishing kit.

Possibly a bit burly but you see what you can do for 2k.

sam3000

Keep the suggestions coming in!

I’m looking for a head down kind of bike really- I have 26″ cove hustler for other duties.

I was considering using the cycle to work scheme (and contributing more cash towards the cost) Thus making the cube still a good option.

Does anybody have any experience of the cube reactions or elites?

Also, what sort of weights are the kinesis builds coming in at- I really like the idea of a frame with a threaded B.B

Sam

rhayter

You can have my Yeti Big Top for £950 with some extra tyres, leaving you a big stash of cash.

jolmes
    Free Member

I was considering using the cycle to work scheme (and contributing more cash towards the cost)

Pretty sure you cant do this, unless they’ve changed the rules in the past 2 years.

sam3000

I was under the impression that I was able to top up a ct. through cyclescheme with cash?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Whyte Carbon 29

yossarian
    Free Member

Avoid the Canyon unless you want a head down xc racebike. I have one and its unpleasant

Not sure what you expected. Mine is great for xc riding….

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve used lots of X/C bikes as fast trail bikes, shorter stem, wider/higher bars and perhaps a dropper and away you go.

antares
    Free Member

I was under the impression that I was able to top up a ct. through cyclescheme with cash?

Some do, some don’t. My lbs do, I’m just waiting for them to get a Whyte 909 in for me and I’m doing exactly that.

sam3000

I have just spoken to the retailer who is more than happy to let me boost it with cash- brillitant!

As for the bike- still undecided.

I’m also considering a cube cross disc too- looks nice!

alexh
    Free Member

I tried a Scott scale and was seriously impressed for a normal bike for head down riding. I wanted something slacker for more gnarrr though.

benp1

Solaris gets my vote!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ktm myroon would be my vote, great bike, light and we’ll specced.

nickdavies

Ff29 would be a good shout for that kind of money, better xc bike than the Solaris IMO. I can squeak mine just under 11kg in race mode but it’s got a couple of burly bits on, 10.5 kg should be doable for 2k if you’re careful with money and light. Whyte 29c would probably where my money would go if I was starting from scratch with a 2k (ish) budget.

scary_carey
    Free Member

I’ve got a Cube Elite (2014) and for XC racing duties it’s amazing. Very light, nice and responsive – back end could be described as being a bit unforgiving but i quite like a stiff rear (ooo err) it defo ticks the head down style your after – it really makes me want to push hard on the climbs and its eats single track.
    At the end of the day it is what it is – an XC bike. My Cube sits along side a Codiene, NP Mega and an On One 456 so I’m lucky enough to be able to pick a horse for the course so to speak.
    The Cube is a very capable bike but if it was to be my only bike I’d probably look for something that was a little more rounded
    Mark

sam3000

Thanks scary carey- it’ll be joining a fleet consisting of a cove hustler, identity aka single speed and a rock lobster ti- all 26″

I want this bike just to beast it, with essentially my head down! I’m more of a climber than a descender when it comes to xc, I prefer a stiff rear end 😉

The whyte looks nice, I presume more of your money is going with the frame and not the kit on the whyte?

The chosen bike must have a fox fork, I find dropping the lowers for a quick seal change, without changing the oil very easy- 20 minute job.

Sam

nickdavies

The chosen bike must have a fox fork, I find dropping the lowers for a quick seal change, without changing the oil very easy- 20 minute job.

Why would you change the lower seals and not the oil? Don’t discount anything from rockshox on that basis – a lowers clean and relube takes 20 mins including getting tools out and cleaning up.

eshershore
    Free Member

if you shop around you can get this around £2K

I have an earlier model year of this frame,as seen below, and its a wicked bike for trail riding – I have 70mm stem and wider bars

Frame is very light (I weighed mine at 1.25kg) yet stiff under power

Beautifully balanced handling (contrary to what many have said about 29’ers!) yet takes the edge off the bumps with its skinny stays and long 27.2mm seatpost

sam3000

Sorry when I said change the seals I meant replace the oil in the foam rings and clean the seals.

What model is the specialized please?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘£2000 29er hardtail’ is closed to new replies.