Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • 200+ mile road ride, possible in a day or stupid idea?
  • Painey
    Free Member

I’m thinking of a mammoth ride to aim towards next summer and considering of going for the double ton in a day. Just wondering if anyone’s gone for something similar and has any advice on whether it’s worth it or not.

I did the South Downs Way last summer, moving time of 10 hours dead and had plenty left in the tank after that. It just so happens that whilst I live near Brighton, the in-laws live in Devon so I’m thinking of getting up early and then riding to their place near Teignmouth. Roughly 200 or so miles.

Curious as to whether it’s worth a shot or not as I could do with something to motivate me to stay fit.

njee20
    Free Member

If you can do a 10 hour SDW then it’ll be easy I say. I did 300 in the summer in a group of 6, 21 hours, we were supported, but I was far more knackered after doing the SDW. A couple of the 6 weren’t hugely experienced cyclists (2 of them had never ridden more than 60 miles), I’d never done more than 120. Keep eating and drinking and you’ll be fine.

14 hours at an easy pace.

warton
    Free Member

Yep, very Doable. look at audaxes for a good way to do big rides, and ride in a group. a few years ago I did 100km, 200km and 300km audaxes within about three months. great fun, and if you take your time not a massive ask. the 300km, with cycling to and from the start / finish came in at 240 miles, and took about 15 hours

for perspective, my mate did the Mersey roads 24hour TT and did 413 miles….

wwaswas

Tommy Godwin did over 200 miles a day, every day, for a year 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Godwin_%28cyclist_born_1912%29

I tend to think offroad miles count double on road ones so if you can do the sdw in a day then a 200 mile road ride is doable.

chakaping
    Free Member

Check out Steve Abraham’s Strava…
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/1419435?hl=en-GB

I’d like to have a crack at 150mi or at least 200km next year, just not sure where the time’s gonna come from.

Painey
    Free Member

14 hours at an easy pace

That’s kind of what I’d worked out time wise. When we did the SDW we stopped at the Dyke for refreshments, largely as it’s very close to home and family and friends came up to give support. Kept thinking I was going to hit the wall but never really did, which is why I’m thinking that a long ride at a reasonable pace is do-able.

Hmm, this has majorly got me thinking.

wwaswas

Todays distance for for Tommy:

“Tommy Godwin rode 204 miles today in 1939 making his year total to date 67,742 miles [equivalent ride: Lincoln to Poole]”

from @yearrecord on twitter.

sandwicheater

Impossible, just give up now.

jonba
    Free Member

Long rides are ace. Rode from London to Newcastle this summer with 5 friends. 300miles, about 21 hours.

Well worth it. I’ve been doing a lot of long rides this year. Upwards of 10 hours. Takes organization and recovery but rewarding.

Things I’d suggest.

Plan a route (bikehike) have a look for towns, shops etc. so you can break down the ride into chunks and know where you can refill water and food. Cafes are great but petrol stations and supermarkets are worth considering for cheap food, quickly. On our 300 miler we were unsupported so this was essential as we ate a lot!

Also look at the climbing. When you are doing a hundred miles you can rack up some climbing and it is fun to add more. If you double the distance you can make it too hilly. For example I have a 300miler planned for next year (Newcastle-Carlisle-Edinburgh-Newcastle) and I am struggling to keep it below 5000m of climbing.

Service your bike. Make sure you kit is comfy. Buy some sachets of chamois crème so you can re apply.

Find a friend – Not sure I’d have got round some of my longer rides alone, mentally it can be tough when things go wrong and you are tired.

As distances get longer it is really just a case of managing your pace and fueling. Work out a sensible pace and stick to it don’t go hard at the start and then finish dead. Better to hold back for the first 100miles (7-8hours) and be consistent towards the end. If you realize you’ve gone too easy at the start just ride the last 50 like a TT.

crazy-legs

It’s not usually the distance that’s the problem, it’s the logistics, planning and fuelling that lets people down.

The easiest way of doing it is to plan a point to point route, get the train out to your start point and then ride home. Choose your direction carefully and you can end up with a tailwind all the way and you’re finishing the ride on familiar roads close to home.

You can plan bailout options by going near to stations en route so you can always just jump on the train home if it proves too much. Build up to it, pace yourself and you’ll be fine.

See if there are any friends who can ride with you for some of the way.
    Monksie off here did a London – Manchester ride a few years ago, unsupported except for various forum regulars meeting him, riding with him for a bit, bringing him food. I met him in Buxton and rode into Manchester with him.

chakaping
    Free Member

Choose your direction carefully and you can end up with a tailwind all the way and you’re finishing the ride on familiar roads close to home.

This is an appealing idea, but I’d have to start a few miles west of Dublin unfortunately.

MoreCashThanDash

Fill yer boots

Then build up to London-Edinburgh-London 2017. In four days!

😯

Good luck andyfla!

richardthird

Do the Dunwich Dynamo Double in early July 🙂

Park in Dunwich on the Sat morning, nice ride in to London, couple hours rest there, spot of dinner, join the en masse night ride back to Dunwich.

Awesome fun and you solve the ‘how to get home’ conundrum that’s the only tricky bit of the ride.

I did SDW, then this, then back on a mtb for the Ridgeway Double, this year.

13thfloormonk

I’d have thought the biggest challenge was comfort on the bike, I’d been hoping to attempt the Lochs and Glens Audax next year (effectively 200 mile a day for 4 days) but the amount of pain and discomfort I was in after 7 and a half hours of the Fred Whitton (112 mile but ~4000m climbing) put me off.

I guess bike set up is key, it’s lower back and between the shoulder blades that starts to get really sore for me, so I’m guessing my Cannondale Synpase with the upward pointing stem still isn’t upright or relaxed enough for the big days 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

As mentioned it’s really rather easy to do 200 miles in a day on a roadie. CrazyLegs points out all the issues I’d raise so no point in doubling up.

I did Manchester-London with a group earlier this year, whilst planning our route wasn’t much of an issue pace was. If you are on your own don’t set off too quickly, pace back to less than you normally ride at so if normal is 28-30kph peg it back a bit to 24-26ks at least for the first couple of hours.

Then Arse Up, Head Down and hack it to your destination shouting Strava all the way.

Does that help ? 😆

crazy-legs

The Dunwich Dynamo is a good call. We’ve had intentions of doing the double numerous times but each time we’ve ended up at Dunwich and the weather has been looking flaky so we’ve ridden to Ipswich and got the train.

The most mileage I ever got out of it was about 150 including all the riding to the start, back from the station etc.

richardthird

Also, London-Paris in 24h via Newhaven. Or Dieppe-Paris-Dieppe. Return ferry is only £35.

Painey
    Free Member

My main concern about a couple of hundred miles on the road bike is comfort. Part of getting fit for the SDW was riding to work from home and back (just outside of Brighton to London) and I was very pleased to get off the bike afterwards. Resorted to preferring my 29er HT for that as was more comfortable so I’d probably swap the saddle and stick some wider tyres on the road bike, it currently has 23mm slicks.

scaled
    Free Member

You’ve clearly got the fitness and the time so why the hell not 😀

My longest is 130 miles but before that it was 50 odd. i finished the ride with loads left in the tank and feeling fresh as a daisy

MrNice
    Free Member

check your saddle and shorts will be comfy for a long day. Mate of mine did one on midsummer’s day last year and said he had an arse like a baboon afterwards…

gren
    Free Member

The missus did a 205 miler 4 months after getting her first road bike. Averaged around 14mph over 16 hours so a nice steady speed.

Was the ‘Chase the Sun’ ride – started at sunrise and ended at sunset riding coast to coast, east to west across the south of England.

Painey
    Free Member

Riding coast to coast across the south of England is very similar to what it will be. Bought a tub of gooch cream last year for the SDW ride, that was money very well spent!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, I live on the Isle of Wight and may need to do the double road circuit next year. I’ve done the single without too much drama in the past, so the double would only be about ~130 miles.
    Something to aim for…

finbar
    Free Member

Well, just to provide a counterpoint to some of the positivity above, I did 232 miles in 14.5 hours last year, and it was one of the most physically unpleasant things I’ve ever done (and that includes age group podium at Ironman, top 100 at London marathon, 16th at BUCs hillclimb champs etc.).

If you’re going to do it, any tiny problems with your bike fit will be magnified to epic proportions.

Bez

Echoing much of the above: if you can do the SDW with more to give then 200 miles of road should be straightforward. (I’ve done way more than 200 miles on the road, but I’ve only chalked up—pun vaguely intended—one failed attempt at the SDW.)

You’ve identified the one real issue: comfort. It took me time to migrate from MTB to road position (and position is 95% of comfort on the road IME), and as I worked up past 100 miles to 200 to 300 or so I kept finding little things: something that is fine for 8 hours in the saddle will flare up after 12; you solve that and then find something that flares up after 18 hours, and so on. But 200 miles should be around 14 hours plus stopping time (I usually do 170 miles in 14 hours, including stops, and I’m not fast), and I’d say if you can do 200km in comfort you’ll be absolutely fine for 200 miles.

As crazy-legs says, fuel is the other issue. You come to learn what works for you.

ransos
    Free Member

As mentioned it’s really rather easy to do 200 miles in a day on a roadie.

While I agree that it’s well within the compass of a reasonably fit, determined cyclist, it couldn’t be described as easy.

Bez

While I agree that it’s well within the compass of a reasonably fit, determined cyclist, it couldn’t be described as easy.

Indeed.

I remember the first time I did 100 miles, over a decade ago. It was January and my bottles were Slush Puppie after 5 miles, I had cramp in every leg muscle after about 40 miles, and after about 80 miles I still had the cramp but couldn’t feel it anymore because my legs had gone numb.

“Easy” is relative.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I did the LEL last time around. 1400km in 100 hours.
    For training, I ramped it up and up, I was doing epic rides every weekend, over reasonable hills too. This was the biggest training route:

https://www.strava.com/activities/67121714

303km at 26.1km/hr, with 3000m climbing.

Its a fantastic feeling, but it didn’t half destroy my family life, having to go out for that much time.

I learnt a good routine though. Ride for 3 hours, cover about 50 miles. Stop, find a cafe, sit down and eat proper food: sandwich/cake/tea, then get back on the bike and do it again, fuelled by jelly babies and flapjack. Also had two water bottles, one with water, one with isotonic stuff. Avoid gels and other gunk, for the time taken, they’re poison.
    Aslong as I made it no more than 50-60 miles each time, I was fine. Tried 70 once and it half-killed me.

Edit – also because most of my training was solo (no other bugger was stiupid enough to ride with me) it meant on the LEL if I ended up on my own, I was fine, if I ended up in pack, it was a bonus. More dedicated club riders really struggled if they got dropped.

Painey
    Free Member

Fuelling is something I’ve yet to nail 100%. Various responsibilities (family etc) mean I’m rarely able to commit to long days in the saddle and so some have worked, some not. Lack of practice basically. I’ve bonked big time in the middle of nowhere before after feeling fine just 30 minutes earlier. That’s absolutely horrible and something I’m keen to avoid at all costs.

What I’ve found roughly works (or did on the SDW ride) was not going too crazy pace wise and refuelling little and often. Not exactly rocket science! Kept expecting to crack but never did, hence saying I had more left in the tank.

I guess with riding Brighton to Exeter, or thereabouts, you’re never too far from train lines or places to stop for food. I’m thinking it’s certainly doable and a goal to aim for.

miketually
    Free Member

If you’re able to to x miles comfortably, riding xy miles becomes about recovery, fuelling, and mindset. You won’t necessarily ride the xy miles quickly, but you’ll do them.

kcr
    Free Member

I would also recommend going down the Audax route. You could build up to a 400 by doing some 200s, and it’ll be more fun than doing it on your own.
    I also agree that comfort is one of the key things to sort out for very long distance events. I did two 400km events this year, after a couple of decades away from Audax, and discovered that the saddle that I have been riding for years and thought was OK, was actually quite uncomfortable!

ransos
    Free Member

I would also recommend going down the Audax route.

Yep, they’re usually pretty low key and friendly, with decent food stops.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

We do Scorton-Scotland-Scorton (almost) every year, that’s 200. Long day but if you pace it and eat well it’s doable.

http://www.strava.com/activities/181161708

Bez

Fuelling is something I’ve yet to nail 100%.

Same here and I’ve been doing longish rides for five years now. It’s hard balancing stuff that has energy in it with stuff you want to eat: I end up craving eggs, ham and mayonnaise a lot of the time.

The more I’ve ridden, the less I’ve used energy drink. I used to swear by it, but these days I’ll generally alternate fresh water with an electrolyte tablet because I can’t face the energy stuff. Only issue there is that you have to either carry more food, or rely on shops being open (not so bad in the UK, especially with 24h petrol stations all over the place; much harder in rural France).

Along the lines of ir_bandito, I’ve found that I need to stop for Real Food every 4h/100km. That might just be a sandwich and a coffee, but it has to be enough to stop my stomach feeling like it’s digesting thin air. If that’s a 20-30min stop then it’s also a chance to rest the legs and maybe hit the mental reset button if need be.

An appropriate bit of luggage can work wonders, too: a good starting point is the Altura Arran expanding post pack. It’s a nice size to carry tools, camera and food, and the expanding bit is really useful on changeable days when you need to stash some clothing. Fits any bike, unclips easily and has a carry handle.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I tend to think offroad miles count double on road ones so if you can do the sdw in a day then a 200 mile road ride is doable.

Depends how hilly it is. It the road miles are like Fred Witton (never done it but seen the statistics) I’m sure they wouldn’t be anywhere near.

But if its flat road ride on a road bike compared to a very hilly off-road ride then it might be 2:1

ir_bandito
    Free Member

An appropriate bit of luggage can work wonders

Frame bags FTW. Everything in easy reach as you ride along.

My LEL setup:

flange
    Free Member

I tend to find that if I stop for say, more than 10 minutes I have a really hard time setting off again. Therefore I tend to try to carry as much stuff on me as I can so I don’t need to stop. Did a longish ride last year of 130 miles and made the fatal mistake of stopping for lunch. Despite being careful about what I ate, I really struggled to get going again and it made the rest of the ride fairly miserable, even though the second half was more interesting riding.

Pacing and eating I struggle with too. It’s quite hard to understand just how much you need to eat on a long ride, I never eat enough. And I always set off like a rat up a drainpipe and pay the consequences later.

Maybe long distance isn’t for me…

anagallis_arvensis

Just do an audax

Bez

Frame bags FTW. Everything in easy reach as you ride along.

Wouldn’t work for me, I’m slightly knees-in so I’d rub. Which is a shame, because I’d like a food store near the top tube. I tend to fill a jersey pocket at stops and work with that. I normally have a Pipsqueak bar bag, too, but that normally has a camera/phone in it so there’s limited space for food.

Maybe long distance isn’t for me…

It’s just getting used to it. Until a few years ago my experience was much like yours.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m also going to offer up something..

That route you’ve chosen… Well it starts reasonably flat (Brighton to say Sandbanks – Bournemouth) Then when you hit the Purbecks it ramps up a bit with some steep’ish climbs, then from then on it’s pretty bumpy all the way with some nasty climbs and exposed tops of the Western Purbecks (Weymouth to Honiton) then that last’ish bit from Honiton to Exeter is slightly less bumpy, but still bumpy.
    And, hate to say it but you are going against the prevailing wind.

Now clearly I’ve no idea about routes you intend to take, but there are many NCN routes heading all over the scope of that plan of yours. I’d be rather keen to capture them and place into your route. If you intended to ride along the main A35 or A303 I think you need your head looking at sharpish, it’s a mad route and you’ll be buzzed constantly by trucks and caravans and people trying to get somewhere as it’s the main drag along the coast… Pick a route off that and off A roads and it’ll be a good old hack with some very spectacular views.

DrP rode the NCN’s from Plymouth back to Brighton, the threads on here somewhere and route and experience.. I’d be keen to seek that out as he logged all the NCN’s he used…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘200+ mile road ride, possible in a day or stupid idea?’ is closed to new replies.