Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 20 years after the RTS, GT brings back a rocker!
  • rootes1

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s a URT as well – well, almost 😉

I still love my RTS.

rootes1

remember when the RTS came out – looked amazing – shame it was actually rubbish – well actually was ok as log no pedalling!

gonzy
    Free Member

love the graphics for the video…looks like they’ve spent a lot of time and money on that…but what i dont get is the fact they have put double bearings in the chainstay pivot but when the suspension moves there doesnt seem to be much movement in the chainstay pivot….
    am i missing something here?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

OMG… so THAT’s how iDrive works 😯

WTF?? Who on earth would want their pedals swinging backwards as the rear pivot moves???

Good luck Gee, Rachel, Dan et al., but I’m out.. 😕

bencooper
    Free Member

remember when the RTS came out – looked amazing – shame it was actually rubbish – well actually was ok as log no pedalling!

Mine seems pretty good for climbing.

ahwiles
    Free Member

that’s because chain tension stops the system from moving.

pedalling? – it’s a hardtail

not pedalling? – it’s a bouncy bike.

‘s quite clever in way…

(and this new one looks sort of similar, but the BB’s mounted in the rocker, interesting, but i’m out)

rootes1

i muste admit after by suntour equipped zaskar got stolen i would have loved an RTS..

this new thing looks mega complex

cookeaa

Interesting as it is I don’t think I’m sold, it’s pedaling efficiency / minimal chain grow thing would make sense but what you’re getting is basically a URT without the simplicity of a URT, I sot of like the idea of a URT still, I think it’s one of those unfashionable ideas that’s not been explored enough, that GT is as complicated as any FSR/VPP bike without the (supposed) benefits.

The staggered rearward motion of the BB still looks a bit much too IMO, it’s basically another variation on the I-drive, not a terrible idea, but not as clever as they are making out either.

wwaswas

Who on earth would want their pedals swinging backwards as the rear pivot moves???

My Maverick has a similar design. I’m really impressed with it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Seems to be working for Gee this year. Two from two in the UCI World Cup and they do still need a bike that can pedal.

AlexSimon

But our Mavericks don’t really move backwards that much.
    I’ve just bounced it to make sure.

Mind you I’m not sure the new GTs move as much as that video shows either.
    They do look complex and vulnerable though.

I had a thread about this last week:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-gt-force-and-sensor-650b

ThePinkster

It looks a lot like the Mongoose version of the I-Drive system that they use on the Teocali, etc to me.

Aren’t they owned by the same company these days?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Interesting…It’s nice to see how the rear suspension articulates in that animation. As for the pedal box moving, I doubt you’d notice that much, there only seems to be a small amount of fore-aft movement there.

What’s the difference between this and Lapierre’s Pendbox system?

cookeaa

That was it, the Mongoose Khyber/Teocali, I knew I’d seen this before and both brands are owned by Pacific now aren’t they (or at least they were)?

TBH it’s not a terrible solution at all it has some merit.

I think people get a bit caught up with all the bollocks written about various suspension systems by mags and marketeers; rearward axle paths, pedal bob, rising rate linkages, Brake jack, chain grow, etc, etc all sorts of stuff has been dreamed up and justified by telling people there’s an issue they’d never really noticed before, but is so detrimental to their riding that they should just bin their current bike and buy this new one.

The thing is, these days people are wanting 140-160mm “AM” bikes that they can pedal up a hill efficiently and trundle down again insulated from the bumps, any suspension design catering for that market has to make a compromise or two, this one strikes a balance that some people might like, some may not and others will object to simply because that video shows the BB moving and so they will never try riding it.

The OP mentioned the RTS, funnily enough this AOS thing does pretty much the polar opposite of what the RTS did.

Where the RTS design was claimed to use pedaling forces and a load path linkage to effectively lock the suspension under load, this “AOS” places the BB on a rocker allowing it to move rearwards with the axle, minimize chain grow and keeping the suspension active under load…

So ~18 years ago GT created a solution to a perceived problem, and then came full circle and are now presenting a product that does exactly what the RTS apparently put an end to… Genius…

AlexSimon

One thing that time has taught us though is that people buy bikes that look like bikes. This is on the edge.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The staggered rearward motion of the BB still looks a bit much too IMO, it’s basically another variation on the I-drive, not a terrible idea, but not as clever as they are making out either.

Bear in mind you’re actualy moving over the ground at 20mph while all that’s happening, when the suspension hits something you’re bodyweight is slowed down a fraction, the bike deals with the impact, then accelerates your weight as it unloads down the the other side. So it’s probably actualy somewhere between ‘too small an effect to notice’ and ‘a good thing’.

Yes, Mongoose/GT are both one and the same these days, have been sionce GT went bankrupt for the umpteenth time.

Northwind

I wasn’t that aware of the rearward axle path on my old Idrive, til one day I didn’t quite make it up a step, the back wheel hooked up on it then as the suspension extended, it pulled me back down the stairs :mrgreen:

TBH I liked the idrive part, it was the shonky geometry I couldn’t live with. This one doesn’t seem to have got past that.

rootes1

The OP mentioned the RTS, funnily enough this AOS thing does pretty much the polar opposite of what the RTS did.

Where the RTS design was claimed to use pedaling forces and a load path linkage to effectively lock the suspension under load, this “AOS” places the BB on a rocker allowing it to move rearwards with the axle, minimize chain grow and keeping the suspension active under load…

Yep know that, only made ref to the RTS as there was a rocker of some sort involved in both albeit in completely diff context as it is about 20 years since the RTS… just to link histories

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well, it looks nice

AlexSimon

On this video, they actually look very nice:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=X8oUkz8OKJ0[/video]

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘20 years after the RTS, GT brings back a rocker!’ is closed to new replies.