• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by m0rk.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 20" Mini Ripper build
  • m0rk
    Free Member

Inspired by some of the other Dad’s on here to build up a bike for their youngsters…. I decided to do the same

Started off by looking for a good base frame, and ended up with a Dawes Redtail (she has a Dawes Blowfish at the moment)

Stripped it down to a pile of BSO parts, and ended up with:

Important measurements are 68mm threaded BB, 130mm axle spacing, 27.2mm seatpost, std 1 1/8th headset

eBay finally threw me in the right direction of some forks

Which casually thrown on the frame start to look pretty smart

Sorry for the weeds

Shopping list so far (and ordered)

HOY Bonaly 20″ wheel cranks (114mm 32T) I think I got the last ones
    107mm Shimano BB
    Chinese Carbon Fibre 50mm stem, 560mm flat bars, 400mm seatpost (the bars & seat post will be cut down)

The frame is about to be sent off for powder coating (bright pink) while my daughter and I design some black decals… I want flames, she wants Marvel Superheros

More stuff to be be sorted – tyres & rims (and probably hubs) for something lighter and a headset if the spares box is empty

gravitykids
    Free Member

Interested to see how it turns out.
    Nothing better than building a bike for your kid.

m0rk
    Free Member

Picked up the frame from Solent Powder Finishers in Southampton this morning. Very happy with the masking of threads and seatpost/headset areas.

Then we got into building it up for the moment with the bits that I’d bought (stem, seatpost, pink grips & pedals, UN52 Sealed BB, Hoy Chainset, chi-carbon stem & seatpost, new headset)

It’s a proper cool little bike, just needs the new bars to arrive (and be cut down), and I’ll sticker it up with some custom silhouettes and it should be awesome!

I might even fit the brakes if she’s lucky.

BillOddie

That headangle looks very steep to my eye!

pictonroad

I agree, you’ve lost a lot of length on the forks. I used aluminium 20″ trials bike forks on my build. Did a similar thing to you, kept the frame, chucked the rest. These forks are near enough the same length as the original suspension. Stuck big tyres on too, can run them about 8psi. It soaks up all the bumps and gives the lad such confidence.

daern
    Free Member

I love pictures of kids frankenbikes! I’ll share my own later tonight when I finally get the damn thing put together 🙂

Burchy1
    Free Member

Pictonroad what tyres are they? I can read Michelin but not the rest.

aracer
    Free Member

How big for that pressure? I have the tyres (2.25 front and 2.0 back, Maxxis bought from somebody on here), but wondering what pressure I can put in them.

That’s on the 20″ my 8yo is riding – also any thoughts on what pressure I can put in 2.4 front/2.1 back on the 26″ my 10yo is riding?

m0rk
    Free Member

Pictonroad, where did you get the adaptor for the magura brakes to canti boss?

It’s quite steep at 75deg so I had been looking at those same forks!

m0rk
    Free Member

http://www.trialsaddict.com/frame-spares/onza-v-brake-adapters.html

Asked and answered. I’ll be sorting that when I get up then!

m0rk
    Free Member

New forks on order, with a 60mm greater A-C

Which should sort out the HA issues!

kayak23

Brilliant. Pink looks amazing.
    Maybe it needs….

m0rk
    Free Member

I’m not showing her those….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘20" Mini Ripper build’ is closed to new replies.