• This topic has 28 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 20 hrs and already chipped my iPhone 7 plus lol
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well it’s there to be used I guess but it hasn’t left my desk!

D’oh!

Hopefully the waterproofing holds up in the rain during a ride otherwise keep an eye out for a “Can an iPhone survive being dropped from the Eiffel Tower video”.

jambalaya
    Free Member

How did you manage that ?

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds just like the sort of thing I’d do!

twisty

Surely it is specifically designed for riding in the rain.
    [video]https://youtu.be/rTFPB4OUqrM[/video]

matt_outandabout

I just won’t have a phone that is not in a rubber case and glass screen protector. I have dropped the phone lots of times, including one flying out a pocket on a ride on road last week – the screen protector was shattered, not a mark on the phone…

thecaptain
    Free Member

These glass screen protectors are so cheap and good, first thing I buy for a new phone. They’ll cover up/protect existing chips and cracks quite effectively too.

GrahamS

I just won’t have a phone that is not in a rubber case and glass screen protector.

Only time my iPhone goes in a case is when I mount it on my bars.

Rest of the time it survives just fine in the pocket of my jeans. Only ever used disposable film screen protectors (2 for a £1 in Poundland) and I don’t even bother with them any more.

And it is a 4S, which gives a clue how long I’ve had it, and why I am not so precious about it.

(I did crack the back glass once, but I replaced it with a nice carbon back instead which looks much better).

johndoh
    Free Member

I just use a knackered old soft case for my phones (which I have had since I had a 4 and since have had a 5 and now on a 6S) and I only use that to stop the phone from getting bunged up with pocket fluff. Never really damaged any phones in that time.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

It’s a 2-3 mm chip between the glass and bezel.

Must have gently knocked the desk when turning my alarm off. Only noticed recently.

Case was ordered but yep I should have bought a cheap case till the Quad case turns up.
    Well I’m hoping the case covers it but to be honest you can’t rely on objects to make you happy unless she’s fit.
    It’s going to get more damage anyway from more drops and it’s insured.

Wait till I mount it to my bike…

Del

phones are pretty bloody useless unless they can survive day to day knocks. had 2 htcs that survived quite happily without cases ( aluminium body ), including being jammed in to pockets while trail building, in side pockets on the pack when riding, etc. etc.
    my f’ing sony on the other hand lasted 2 weeks before the back cracked. POS. i shall not be buying one of those again.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve never used a phone case or a screen protector and I’ve never broken a screen, though I did wear off a big patch of the oleophobic coating on my current phone by going for a run while it was in the same pocket as the external battery pack it was connected to.

Coyote
    Free Member

I think it’s a real shame that manufacturers design such aesthetically pleasing bits of kit but are so fragile that we have to wrap them in protective casings that hide the original design.

njee20
    Free Member

Also never used one. Did break a screen last year by dropping it on tarmac, meh. Cases look shit. Why buy a nice device, then wrap it in a shit case? Means it looks perfect for the next person…

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s a 2-3 mm chip between the glass and bezel.

Must have gently knocked the desk when turning my alarm off. Only noticed recently.

Gently knocking the desk isn’t going to chip it. I have dropped my phone many times and so far no damage, been lucky obviously. I never used a case on 3/3G/4S do use one of the 6 as it’s too thin otherwise

DezB
    Free Member

I never kept my 5s in a case, cos I liked the way it was without one. But then it was a work phone, so if it got damaged.. who cares!
    Since I’ve had to buy my own 6s it’s wrapped in a ghastly case, but has fallen out of my pocket while riding and survived with just a small scratch.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well I was totally jinxed today.

I went back into the shop to see if I could do anything and the customer service gent was about to say no and the phone literally dies.

He tries to charge it but nope. I can’t believe this.

Then the customer service gent refunds me and orders me a new phone.

I order a glass protector and make sure my new case arrives before I pick it up.

Just when I think my luck changes, my old man asks me to look at his car…I’m bent over looking at the engine. He goes to start it and left it in 1st gear and my knees take the impact…

Sitting here with ice on my knees…and wrapping myself in bubble wrap.

My iPhone 4 still looks mint (no case used). My iPhone 5S was another story – scratched all over then the battery overheated – new phone from Apple. My 6 and 6S had the same Quad case – mint.

My new iPhone no case – chipped by my stupidity.

Prefer cases as I can lock the phone to the car or bike via a mount.

garage-dweller

When I saw the word chipped I envisaged some awesome hardware/firmware upgrade.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It could be a movie 🙂 good result on the phone and had same thing happen with a car so now never allow it to be started when I am “undsr bonnet” or indeed stood behind one.

mattyfez

I do think it’s weird, I’ve got a lovely slim phone that will spend its life wrapped up in a (albeit nice leather) wallet style case.
    Which kinda makes nice slim phones redundant.

They are just too expensive to not protect, and the rubber or plastic cases just look gash to me

joshvegas
    Free Member

The case on my galaxy s6 has a whole cut in it for the camera.

One perfect drop from my girlfriend and the camera is now smashed 😀

Frankenstein
    Free Member

[/quote]

jambalaya – Member 
    never allow it to be started when I am “under bonnet” or indeed stood behind one.

Now you tell me lol. True, my fault but I should have been more aware but never again.

Wanted to ride tomorrow damn. Lucky with the phone being ordered phew.

user-removed
    Free Member

I downgraded from a Galaxy S5 to a J5 last week. After a year and a half of never dropping the s5, I dropped the J5 twice within hours of ownership. The thing is like a bar of **** soap! It now has a full silicone case, purely for a bit of grip.

andysredmini
    Free Member

At least you have got yours. 3 weeks on and I’m still waiting for mine. Hasn’t worked out well this year as I sold my 6s plus and now I’m having to use some terrible android thing that I want to throw at a wall every time I use.

isto
    Free Member

I think it’s a real shame that manufacturers design such aesthetically pleasing bits of kit but are so fragile that we have to wrap them in protective casings that hide the original design.

I always buy a case, even though its a work phone. Mostly because then it has some individuality. Also I don’t really care how much effort was made making it look generically sleek and shiny and…..if I am honest….I want to hide the fact its an iPhone.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well I picked my iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB.

Using a Quad Lock case, Zagg glass screen protector and phone insurance.

To be fair it’s my phone, Sat Nav, snap it camera, car diagnostic, organiser, cycle computer, tablet and spirit level.

To be fair lots of brands had all these facilities with apps and water resistance.

I also run my own business from it. And hopefully won’t need to worry too much when you get caught in the rain.

Just don’t be stupid like me and take it home without a case or screen protector.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

That looks rugged!

ulysse
    Free Member

It is, so far, I got tired of swaddling Samsung Galaxies in otterboxes that only lasted 3 months at a time
    Waterproof dustprpof reasonably shock proof and a gorilla glass screen, GPS, glonas, barometric altimeter, sos button, and the battery lasts 2 days.
    Sub two hundred spots, delivered
    What’s not to love, it’s a bikers wet dream

atlaz
    Free Member

Surely it is specifically designed for riding in the rain.

I do like how it says on the video “Liquid damage not covered under warranty” which sort of **** the “ride in the rain with it” thing

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘20 hrs and already chipped my iPhone 7 plus lol’ is closed to new replies.