Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2 weeks to improve my fitness!
  • poly
    Free Member

So I have a road event coming up. Life means I’ve not done any training, and in fact very little biking recently. I’m travelling this week and won’t have a bike, but will have a hotel gym. I can ride as much as I want the following week.

Mostly struggle climbing hills.

What would you do with these 2 weeks to try and make a difference.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Some kind of performance enhancing drugs?? It might be a little late?
    What date is the event?

jota180
    Free Member

1 week hard, 2 days nothing, 2 days easy, 3 days nothing

I think I got benefit from that but who knows?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Write it off as a ‘practice / training race’

lornholio
    Free Member

Mostly struggle climbing hills.

Climb lots of hills.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

hill reps.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rest, you will probably just pull something if you over do it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I don’t think you will do much for aerobic fitness in that time. If the event is long (for you) then fitting in a couple of long rides asap might help?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do some hard hill climbs to get your body used to a hard effort, maybe a long ride to get you used to that, then rest.

thomthumb
    Free Member

hill climbing is a measure of power to weight.

you’ll have a better chance of dropping weight than gaining power in two weeks.

poly
    Free Member

Some kind of performance enhancing drugs?? It might be a little late?

Oh I know that – I was just wondering if there was anything that might help. Now these drugs you talk of…

What date is the event?

its exactly 2 weeks today.

1 week hard, 2 days nothing, 2 days easy, 3 days nothing

OK that sounds like the sort of feedback I was hoping for. So 1 week hard – bearing in mind I won’t have a real bike should that be cardio hard or ‘muscle’ hard? Based on others saying hill reps – I’m thinking its more about muscle than heart/lungs. I’m assuming there will be a bike in the hotel gym, but any other suggestions to break up the boredom?

Write it off as a ‘practice / training race’

Oh its only ever for pleasure – I don’t race, I’m neither good enough nor do I take life that seriously. I’m just looking for vaguely enjoying it – oh and not being dropped by the missus!

If the event is long (for you) then fitting in a couple of long rides asap might help?

its not that long based on previous stupidity – but it is the longest I’ve ridden this year.

hill climbing is a measure of power to weight.

you’ll have a better chance of dropping weight than gaining power in two weeks. Which part of me were you planning to amputate that would result in major weight saving without affecting power?

njee20
    Free Member

Is it the London Surrey Cycle Classic thingy? If so, I’d not worry about climbing hills, there’s two fairly easy ones in the middle, and little else.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

your over thinking it 🙂

For reference I rode about 18km in 7 weeks after coming home from NZ at the start of June. Illness, work and injuries (sustained in the 18km) got in the way. I did 25km last Sat, 105km on the Sunday and 130km today (all road) Just spin the legs up a bit and eat properly. Hydrate take it easy off the line. Just be prepared to feel the effects of an extra hour or so in the saddle. Get some gels and bars for the point where the energy runs out.

jam-bo

Is it the London Surrey Cycle Classic thingy? If so, I’d not worry about climbing hills, there’s two fairly easy ones in the middle, and little else.

I’m doing that and more worried about the other 95 flat miles than the little hills in the middle..

njee20
    Free Member

That was my point, the OP’s saying his hill climbing is a problem, but that’s hardly a hindrance if that’s the event.

poly
    Free Member

That was my point, the OP’s saying his hill climbing is a problem, but that’s hardly a hindrance if that’s the event.

no its tour of the borders. The issue is my climbing is not as good as Mrs Poly’s. I know I can make it round alive, its just how big the humiliation is!

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Any training takes 3 weeks to show generally as rule of thumb so it’s already too late.

tmb467
    Free Member

Spend the next week eating and drinking properly and doing mobility / movement exercises

I’ve had a few weeks of doing nowt before the Ard Rock cos of bike issues and heavy workloads (albeit after a few months training). So that’s my plan – tho it’ll be written off by the BBQ and beers the night before!

DanW
    Free Member

You will not get “fitter” in two weeks but you can make yourself feel good or crap in that time frame. Eat well, sleep well, hydrate well keep the legs ticking over where you can but don’t do too much… any other bits of advice to add? Personally, sleeping well and avoiding as much stress as possible (working from home for example) does more for my legs than most things!

scotroutes

Crash diet. Weight loss always makes me quicker up hills 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2 weeks to improve my fitness!’ is closed to new replies.