Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2 things: virgin media telly biking show and cleaning cassette
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

Do any people take their cassttes off to clean them? Its such a pain in the arse to clean. While I’m on this subject; what’s the best way to clean a chain. Mine always seems to be minging!

And secondly if you’ve got virgin media telly, under the on demand section theres a series out route guide things. Just thought I’d let you know in case you didn’t

poppa
    Free Member

I use a Park tools cassette brush to get between the sprockets, in conjunction with muc-off. Gets sparkly clean. As for chains, you can get things that clip on and wash them. I use SRAM chains, so I can just unclip them and clean them easily.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Ahhh very clever in deed. how much would one of these cassette brushes cost oneself?
    Just found this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5783

Can anyone find it cheaper?

thepodge
    Free Member

i use a brush from a wilkinsons dust pan and brush set, cost me a quid and gets into all the gaps

thefallguy
    Free Member

I run three chains and rotate after every ride, sram chain so easy off then into a clean jar with hot water and drop of washing up liquid, shake and repeat til clean. dry and then coat in nytralube chain lube which keeps the cassette really clean compared to oil lubes

IHN

I use an old washing up brush on the cassette and Rock’n’Roll lube on the chain. Job done.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

hmmm think i need to get a sram chain with the easy link.

willyboy
    Free Member

i’ll second the dust pan and brush set brush

poppa
    Free Member

I heard you can use the SRAM powerlinks with Shimano chains if you want. Not tried it though, and it only works for 9 speed as the 8 speed chains are different widths between brands.

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

I use a sram link in a shimano chain ( 9 speed ) it works okay

cynic-al
    Free Member

People clean their cassettes?

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Ha, well I’ve been trying. Guess what though…..mine’s a shimano chain with sram link so just popped it off and it’s in a cup of hot water for a bit then I’ll give it a scrub. Nice and easy. Strange that I have a shimano chain when everything else was sram that came on it.

poppa
    Free Member

Of course, if you don’t clean your drivetrain then you wear it out quicker.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2 things: virgin media telly biking show and cleaning cassette’ is closed to new replies.