Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2 new segregated London Cycle Superhighways – consultations now live
  • brooess
    Free Member

TfL Consultations here

Make your voices heard!

neilwheel
    Free Member

Only had a chance for a quick look, very promising.

gwaelod
    Free Member

this is possibly the start of a revolution in UK cycling.

Everyman and his dog, from taxi companies, to lorry operators to the RAC will try to kill it dead though – they have massive lobbying power…so to get it through it needs a groundswell of support from cyclists to make it happen.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Still looks good.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

in Sesame street style: today the word for the day is : ambitious

I have mixed feelings about separation from the main carriageways. I’m not sure its the right answer.

MSP

this is possibly the start of a revolution in UK cycling.

No it is a vanity project for the London mayor. It has **** all to do with the majority of the country.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Noiice, Parliment Sq free of trafic at the junction going South over the Bridge..??

Never gonna appen 🙄

jota180
    Free Member

I like the way they’ve located the Boris bikes on the other side of the road from the bike lane in the visualisation.

They’ll probably start building it that way too and realise just in time to add a few more million to the project 🙂

dknwhy

I think that infrastructure is only a minor part of the problem. Greater education and a change of attitude are going to be far harder to implement.
    A friend of mine is a traffic engineer for TFL so we’ve been talking about this for a while. This is the start of grander ideas and there is a lot of good intention to shift Londoners onto bikes – this isn’t just a token effort from TFL but I do think they have got an uphill battle…

As for the segregation, I hope it works and is used as intended. Obviously, there will be some that will still choose to use the main carriageway to maintain higher speeds but it gives people the choice to move out of traffic if they wish. Even if it only saves one life a year it’ll be worth it.
    I’d like to see people using the Sustrans routes more too. I live and work in Croydon so only need to walk to work but on times that I go into London by bike, I use the Sustrans routes through parks and up to Greenwich.
    There are people that I work with who could come to work by bike and often say that they would but the “roads are too dangerous”. I explained to one of them about Sustrans routes and how they can get here without going on a main road, even showing them a map but they still choose to come by car and then moan about traffic…

neilwheel
    Free Member

I have mixed feelings about separation from the main carriageways. I’m not sure its the right answer.

Me too, but in London town there is no other solution than take area away from drivers and give it over to cyclists.

andytherocketeer

Mixed feelings about doing something that looks kinda Dutch?
    OK it’s on;y a few roads, but I’ve certainly posted on threads on here about making a single 2-way segregated bike bit on one side, rather than trying to force 2 narrow lanes on each side. Even the bit where the bike lane goes behind the bus stops looks Dutch too.
    Have to start somewhere.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I don’t think there will be *that* many people choosing to use the road here – embankment is usually gridlocked.

There’s a summary of some of the backlash here..
    http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/if-you-want-londons-largest-ever.html

IMO we all need to support this, even if some bits aren’t quite perfect. I doubt something like this will get announced again, and hopefully other places will copy central London’s lead.

brooess
    Free Member

in Sesame street style: today the word for the day is : ambitious

Agree with you on whether I like segregation or not – but with the main reason people giving for not riding being safety, projects like this will go a very long way to getting the masses out on bikes – and from that comes the culture change around acceptance of bikes as legitimate forms of transport and change in driver behaviour…

There’s space for comments in the consultations, I put comments in there about driver behaviour being the real big issue and that the existence of paths shouldn’t stop me from using the road…

Well worth using these consultations to express your view even if you don’t wholeheartedly agree with the proposal

Stoner
    Free Member

sections relevant to my own routes are mainly just the formalisation of the way most cyclists use the routes already.

Some tweaks are going to be good, but there’s no mention of light phase changes at HPC for example where the lights favour road traffic rather than cyclists or pedestrians, inevitably leading to a proportion of cyclists either taking risks to cut the crossing time or giving up on the cycleway and using the HPC road instead.

and this, is not going to help the cause at all:

Impact of these proposals on traffic capacity and pedestrian crossing times

Our latest analysis shows the proposals would mean longer journey times for motorists and bus, coach and taxi passengers along most of the route, both during construction and once complete. There would also be longer journey times for users of many of the roads approaching the proposed route and longer waits for pedestrians at some signalised crossings.

crazy-legs

The revolution has been quietly happening for years and the numbers now are too big to ignore. Thing is, London CAN do this – taking lanes away from traffic is not *that* radical, they did it for the Olympics (almost overnight, whole lanes were made one-way, unique for Olympic Traffic etc).

London coped. Do the same but take a whole lane out, put some dividers down to stop cars encroaching and there you have one bike lane!

OK I know it’s much more complicated than that in reality but it’s not going to result in London coming to a total standstill as the naysayers are predicting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2 new segregated London Cycle Superhighways – consultations now live’ is closed to new replies.