Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2 marathons in 5 weeks
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve signed up for the Paris marathon, and the Edinburgh marathon (where I live, and a fast course) is 5 weeks after that.

I ran Edinburgh pretty hard, after not very much training last year and doubt I could have ran another in 5 weeks (not without a LOT of physio, which I can’t afford).

If I train well enough & take it easy in Paris am I likely to be OK? Are entries transferrable if not?

I fancy trying to get a time for Boston 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

if a 59 year old can run 7 in 7 days after a heart attack, what can possibly go wrong?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3234479.stm

RickyRah
    Free Member

I thought Paris was a fast course too? Why not run for a time in Paris and then ‘enjoy’ Edinburgh? In any case, I think 5 weeks is enough time to be fully recovered.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just don’t go balls out on the first one.

aracer
    Free Member

7 in 7 days? Pah – 43 in 51 days when a bit overweight and without all that much training. 2 in 5 weeks sounds like a doddle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

vicarious willy-wavers…who’d have thought it?

I want to enjoy both, get a good time in one, and not injure myself.

mrmo
    Free Member

not meant as willy waving cynic-al, what your suggesting shouldn’t be too hard if you can get into reasonable shape between now and then.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Have you considered using your bike. It would make a lot easier on your legs. 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

you should be fine, run the first as fast as you want, then 10 days completely off, with just a few 10 min walks, you only need a few days running to be OK for the second. 5 weeks is plenty of time to recover (and benefit) from a 3-4 hour run.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wish iDave…no way was I ready to run another marathon 5 weeks after my last one, and that was with physio!

Bez

5 weeks seems like loads of recovery time – maybe the physio is the problem 😉

seanoc
    Free Member

I’m not particularily fit, and probably a carrying more than I should at nearly 90kg but I managed a mountain 42 miler two weeks ago and feel fresh as a daisy today. I’d love to do a marathon distance trail run this weekend, but can’t due to family stuff.

You obviously think your fit enough use the first one as a training run – zone 2 with a couple of intervals to keep you interested. Do lots of conditioning in the intrim to save on physio bills(roller), push in a couple of very gentle jogs and a couple of long walks for teh mental benefit and you’ll be dandy…and stronger for the second run.

It comes down to pacing I guess; I doubt you could go for a PB in the first event and feel anywhere near strong enough for the second.

mikeydmikey
    Free Member

It’s definitely do-able, but you’ll not be able to perform at your best for both unless you are up with the elites so make sure you target one as your ‘A’ race and then stick to it. It’s very very easy to say that you will take the first one easy, and then end up going harder than you should and under performing in the second – and you end up with two mediocre times rather than one fast and one slow.

If you are anything like me then taking the first one easy is going to be tough, so I would treat that as my fast one (Paris is a fast course, personally I think it’s faster then Edinburgh) and then enjoy Edinburgh – especially as it’s your home marathon 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

cheers gents…I’d prefer to do Paris slow as it’s prettier and new to me, shame I didn’t get a charity entry as I fancy fancy dress…

andrewh
    Free Member

This http://www.sip-events.co.uk/solo-home.html is early April.
    This http://www.24hfinale.com/ is late May.
    Two 24hr solos six weeks apart. I am begining to doubt my sanity.
    I agree with mikey, you will be able to do both but whether you can be fast at both is another matter…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2 marathons in 5 weeks’ is closed to new replies.