Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2 days off – Devon or Cornwall
  • gixer.john
    Free Member

Got a coiple of days off work and am thinking of going to Devon or Cornwall and would be staying tomorrow and saturday nights.

travelling from Cannock – anyone got any suggestions?

ta

CountZero

Hmmm, I favour Devon, as I have a fondness for the south coast especially around Start Bay. It is, however a bit of a bu99er to drive around, as the roads from Bovey Tracey are all singletrack, (appropriately), and there’s twenty miles of that to Beesands, where I stayed in the pub. http://www.thecricketinn.com/ in case you’re interested. Believe me, the food is outstanding, the beer is excellent, and the rooms are as nice as they look. Nigel’s a good landlord, I was down there three weeks ago for a week, and last year for the first week in October, and had a fantastic time. Great walks all along the coast path from Slapton Sands and Torcross via Beesands through Hallsands, round Start Point to Lannacombe Bay to East Prawle. Kingsbridge and Salcombe aren’t far away, neither’s Dartmouth.

trailmonkey

cornwall was once perfectly described to me as a shit picture in a beautiful frame, meaning the coast is glorious but the interior is ugly.

factor in that it is at least another hour from exeter just to get into cornwall then it’s a no brainer if you’re only down for the weekend.

come to devon. do yourself a favour and bring your bike too.

camo16
    Free Member

North Devon, definitely.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Why go that far

Quantocks 😉

CountZero

Looking along Beesands beach, the pub is next to the furthest right white building. You can just see the sign. My room was the other side of the pub sign, so I had a great view out of the window.

The view from Start Point looking towards Hallsands, Beesands and Slapton Sands.
    Pics were taken the last week in September.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Devon. All the good stuff you get in Cornwall and also has good mtb (although not in North Devon).

NB. Other counties are available.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m going to Salcombe on Saturday for a week 🙂 can’t wait

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Don’t come to Devon… it’s rubbish….

White speck in the distance in the first photo is reputedly the 3rd or 4th highest pub in England… and (with the exception of the ridge in the foreground) it’s downhill all the way from where this photo was taken… I saw two other bikers through the whole ride.

Seriously… it’s all good. Cornwall has great coastal scenery and some lovely little fishing villages. Devon has the same but also prettier inland countryside and far better biking.

zippykona

North Devon, the most beautiful place I know.
    Yes I have been to other places.

slugwash
    Free Member

Come down to glorious South Devon (unless you’ve got a caravan or motor home, in which case you can **** off)….

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Where was the first pic taken Slugwash?

julioflo
    Free Member

Cornish born and bred – Cornwall is ace.
    BUT i now live in Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor and Devon is definately where it’s at. Sorry Cornwall I love you still.

trb
    Free Member

cornwall was once perfectly described to me as a shit picture in a beautiful frame, meaning the coast is glorious but the interior is ugly.

Go careful there, I grew in the interior of cornwall. You are right mind. Nothing romantic or picturesque about a night shift in the open cast mine I used to work in.

I’d stick to devon, there’s too many english people in cornwall already.

crazy-legs

CountZero, that second pic of yours (Start Bay) brings back memories for me. We used to stay in one of the clifftop cottages at Hallsands (Mildmay Cottages) many years ago. Not even sure if the cottages are there now, the cliff edge seemed to get ever closer each time we went there!
    There was a pub there which did really nice fish and chips but the last year we went that had closed down too. 🙁

slugwash
    Free Member

Where was the first pic taken Slugwash?

Here

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So can anyone recommend me places to go, things to see around Salcombe? Must be family-friendly (inc. kids between 2 and 6 yrs old as well as grand parents).

bitemebryn
    Free Member

Cornwall is for Surf boards and second rate rugby. For EVERYTHING else, it’s Devon….including “proper MTBing”
    Not that I’m bias or anything.
    Only thing they get right in Kernow is Jam first then Cream!

kaiser
    Free Member

Countzero ..you said

It is, however a bit of a bu99er to drive around, as the roads from Bovey Tracey are all singletrack,

out of interest what has bovey got to do with anything?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cream the jam. Heathen!

South Devon, especially East Portlemouth, is terrible don’t go the, seriously……… 🙂

On another note, from Cannock, why not try Northumberland? Glorious place!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2 days off – Devon or Cornwall’ is closed to new replies.