Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 2 day Cairngorm loop.
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Suggest a route. Start from Aviemore (ish), include the Laraig Guru ( I know what to expect there) , a wild camp and some remote places. Open to bright ideas. Used to the mountains so happy with the backwards but not carrying all day please.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Any specific reason for larig ghru ?

Larig au laoigh nicer decent imo if setting off from aviemore.

How much riding do you want to do each day ?

My stock reply for a reasonably easy length (but highly weather dependant) would be logging trail out to glen more larig au laoigh to derry lodge along glen geldie and round to glen feshie and sleep near the bothy or in it if still open. THen head onto the west bank of the feshie and merge onto the actual cairngorm loop ride single track all the way back to glen more taking in the single tracks round the lochs via drakes hut.

Short milage days imo but good riding but that depends on what your used to.

The only reason i would want to take a (fat)bike into the larig ghru would be for some winter camping at corrour. I am also alergic to just taking a bike for a walk to that extent.

scotroutes

I decided it was time to ignore all the advice about taking a bike through the Larig Ghru. Big mistake. Not one I’m likely to repeat unless we get perfect (very)deep firm snow.

chickenman

If I were picking a route where I knew hike-a-bike was on the menu, I’d start from Aviemore, take my credit card + toothbrush, ride over the top (or via Lairig an Loaigh)to Braemar; stay overnight then ride over the tops to Glen Clova and its nearest train station. More wilderness, less pushing, better riding and some technical descents.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Speaking of the cairngorm loop, at the top of it, heading into glen brown, is there a path kicking about there through glen brown that I missed? Last time I did it I opted for trooping through the meandering river about 3 or 4 times to connect on to the route up to tomintoul.

So is that the correct or did I just miss the path?

kcal

I think that’s right s…77 except washout of the trail on Tom. side means – I think – it’s even more of a push / carry / pain than before…

vorlich
    Free Member

If you want to extend trail rat’s route a little bit at each end, you could go from Nethy Bridge-Ryvoan and return via Badaguish -Slugan – then pick up the Speyside Way back to NB. Easy but pleasant riding to get the legs warmed up/cooled down.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I looked into this two years ago and all advice said to avoid the full Lairig Ghru. This was from maybe ten people who had done it.

We did Linn of Dee, followed Geldie Burn to Glen Feshie, which was not technical but really lovely, then up Carn Ban Mor, down to Glen Feshie then on to Aviemore. Ate vast amounts of food then went to bed.

Next day we rode up the road to Cairngorm, up to the top of Cairngorm then on to the top of Ben Macdui. Down there to the Hutchinson Memorial Hut, Glen Derry and home.

Two of the best days on a bike I have had. Many thousands of feet climbed, and descended. Stunning views. It was great. You could obviously start in Aviemore and stay in Braemar.

scotroutes

Glen Brown – you’ve a couple of river crossings then stick to the north bank until you come to the old horse box. Cross once more to the south side and head up the track

The path shown on the south bank is long gone.

MussEd
    Free Member

If you’re set on doing Lairig Ghru I’m not going to try and dissuade you. But having done it I will say good luck. Grim.

breninbeener

If anyone has some gpx for a nice approved toute then i would love that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

glen brown……

this was after a long dry windy spell , the day before the path to the eidart bridge at the top of feshie was actually ridable it was so dry (that never happens)

there was snow over night down to 400m. when then melted.

the melt water invaded glen brown quickly. about 10 knee deep and higher icey cold river crossings later….. some very powerful , one even knocked mrs T-R off her feet in the water, Was very much type 2 fun.

the conventional stay left to the horse box approach wasnt possible…. we ended up zig zagging back and forth between islands.

also wouldnt bank on linn of dee / feshie being ridable much after the recent rains unless like now its solidly frozen. the trails were a mess from the argo cat and about 100ft wide mess of hub deep mud. – that was november 6th.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“dropping” in from the top of the larig au laiogh – its downhill all the way to derry lodge.

met some folks here about 4pm going back to aviemore after doing lukes ride above round by the hutchy – didnt have the heart to tell them about all the shoving uphill they had ahead of them.

breninbeener

Wow! Looks awesome

trail_rat
    Free Member

as for GPX , if you piece together something from various comments and the Cairngormloop website which if you take hte GPX and put it onto Bikehike will make it very clear where each bit is as iirc we have all used the land mark names that are used on an OS map.

whitestone
    Free Member

What’s the Geldie Burn – Glen Feshie section like at the moment? Has anyone been since the floods? I do appreciate that it’s mid-winter and might not be passable just now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

based on my weekends riding and photos from locals.

its a little like this atm….

seriously though … the view from my tent door this morning much futher down the dee valley.

breninbeener

Trail rat, thank you!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘2 day Cairngorm loop.’ is closed to new replies.