Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 2 chainring users and set up
  • Taff
    Free Member

I know there are millions of topics on ratios but how do you guys set up your 3 speed shifters. Do you have the granny ring as an empty shift or the third shift so you can't shift into it?

mr_mills
    Free Member

If you're just removing the big ring and leaving mech and shifters the same, just adjust the mech stop so it can't shift past the middle ring.

coogan
    Free Member

Just set them up for granny and middle. Can't see any point making unable to shift into the bigger ring, you know you've only got two rings up front.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I've never mis-shifted, for the same reasons as Coogan. I fully intend to adjust my front mech properly, but have never gotten round to it.

mudmonster
    Free Member

As I remember it's just the same as normal but set the 3rd shift so you can't shift into it. My bike is in Leeds and I'm in London so can't check.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

You will struggle to push the chain up and over a bashguard no matter how you adjust your front mech.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

train your finger rather than messing up the shifter

freeform5spot
    Free Member

as mr_mills

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I wind the stop down so I can't overshift – so I have granny and middle. I have managed to shift up onto a bash ring

ryan_c

If you change your middle ring to a 36 (like me) you probs will need to do some messing around to get it shifting cleanly.

thomthumb
    Free Member

mr mills + 1

If you change your middle ring to a 36 (like me) you probs will need to do some messing around to get it shifting cleanly.

i find moving the mech up the seat tube by around 5-10 mm (so that the middle ring bit of the cage lines up with the 36T ring) works good.

HTH

Northwind

Use the end stop to stop you shifting up into the missing big ring… Makes adjustment incredibly easy once you do this.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

do you need to move the mech clamp down the seat tube?

Northwind

Nope, remember that the little ring is in the same place and the middle ring is actually higher. But I move it down a little anyway as I find it reduces chain noise.

Taff
    Free Member

I've got rid of my granny ring as a 22tooth is pointless in my eyes so what I mean is for the others who have done the same, when it comes to setting up the shifters do you set the middle ring up as if it was the granny ring or leave it as standard set up. Stop screws are all adjusted accordingly too before you ask?

njee20
    Free Member

Aah, you've done it the strange way. Having done that in the past I would strongly recommend playing with ratios to utilise inner/middle position and get the chain line benefits, and a slightly smaller inner ring if you so desire.

Do it with lots of cable tension, set the mech up so the granny ring position on the shifter has the mech on the middle ring. Stop screw on the mech will stop you going beyond one shift.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘2 chainring users and set up’ is closed to new replies.