Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2 bikes, both front wheels being crap (it's probably me).
  • barca
    Free Member

Can anybody suggest a reason why both bikes, both with disc brakes or indeed me is being completely rubbish?
    When the wheels are in the drop outs with the qr loose, they spin for England but when I close the qr anything like tight enough to ride (and by no means bastard tight – probably not tight enough to ride with confidence), the wheel struggles to spin much at all.
    I've bled the brakes, adjusted the qr's, swapped the qr's, checked the wheels are centred….
    Help? Please?
    Thanks

druidh
    Free Member

Aligned/shimmed the calipers?

barca
    Free Member

Tried that Druidh. Loosend the calipers, brake hard on, tightened up the clalipers, released brake lever, spun wheel, quick shove, couple of turns, stopped wheel.
    I'm cursed.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

what brakes? bet they're avid juicys!

julianwilson
    Free Member

are they loose ball, cup/cone? and did you service them yourself?

Stuff on park tools site about it if this is the case.

barca
    Free Member

Formula K18's and Hayes MPH.
    Cup and cone.
    Mine are 500 miles from brand new (Formulas)
    Wife's are quite old (Hayes)
    Both wheels spin lovely off the bike and just as lovely slid into the drop outs with the qr's unfastened. It's mad (or I am).

druidh
    Free Member

Back them off a bit, and let the QR nip them up?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Sounds like you're doing QRs too tight to me.

barca
    Free Member

Closing the qr with one finger and not much effort. I'm not going down Jacobs Ladder on Saturday with a qr that baggy. I'll stay at the top and see how the lovely wife gets on first 🙂
    I've just had a look at the Park Tools web site (thanks for the pointer). I think I might just loosen off the bearing nuts a tad, see if that works.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what druidh said (redeemed yersel on second post ken!)

Loosen hubs very very slightly so you can clamp the qr up solidly and let it take up the play.

But you're unlikely to be damaging them as is.

barca
    Free Member

Cheers all.

maxray
    Free Member

Barc what happens if you detach your disc calipers from the forks? At least that will isolate the issue to the hub instead of the disc rotor.

barca
    Free Member

Same thing happens Maxray. I'm convinced it's the hub nuts now it's been kindly pointed out to me. I need to buy some cone spanners. 🙂 (thanks to the grumpy bloke below)
    I love that edit button

samuri
    Free Member

you need to buy some cone *spanners*, one won't be a huge amount of use to you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2 bikes, both front wheels being crap (it's probably me).’ is closed to new replies.