Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1×9 Problems
  • greasystain
    Free Member

After single speeding my Rockhopper last year, I have now decided that it might work better if it had a few gears 🙂

So last night I put the cassette and rear mech on. Unfortunately when I span the pedals and the chain was on the large ring at the back it would jump off the front chainring.

Currently the chainring is a regular 32t ring with a bash on the outside and the granny removed.

Do I need to put the front mech on to keep the chain in place or is there another way?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

unramped chainring might help.

rootes1

Unfortunately when I span the pedals and the chain was on the large ring at the back it would jump off the front chainring.

spinning the pedals which way?

what happens when you ride and pedal?

Which side did it fall off? frame side? if so get an n-gear jumpstop

greasystain
    Free Member

Thanks. I take it, it is the groves and stuff that help it to change gear that is also making it jump off?

greasystain
    Free Member

Rootes1, I falls off onto the frame side – haven’t tried riding it yet. I think it happened when I turned the pedal forwards.

Rickos
    Free Member

Look for N-Gear jump stop on eBay. It’s just a plate that mounts close to the chainring to stop exactly what you described. About £10 or £12 to buy which is loads cheaper than a proper chain device or even just one of the MRP 1x ones.

rootes1

try riding it and see what happens – nothing to loose

an unramped chaining helps as these have fuller teeth, if you get one it needs to be one suitable for narrow chains.

a jump stop is only a tenner..

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=chng-js

5lab

on a similar note, I’m getting chainsuck on a 1×9 setup – will running an unramped ring sort it out?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1×9 Problems’ is closed to new replies.