Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • 1×9 is a chain guide really necessary?
  • mboy
    Free Member

I’m definitely with GW on this… Sometimes it makes me wonder what people are actually using their mountain bikes for! I know I can get away with no chain device at all on a 1×10 setup if say I just pootle down the shops on my bike, but for proper offroad riding, I need a proper full top and bottom chain device that will do its utmost to keep the bloody chain on.

I’ve lost a chain riding DH in the alps before with a proper MRP Type 2 device! It was only once granted, but those things are very tough and usually work flawlessly.

People who are saying the Superstar XCR or whatever its called guide is rubbish have set it up wrong. I ran one for over a year and didn’t drop the chain once with it riding the Peaks, Calderdale, trail centres etc

EVERY time I hear this it makes me chuckle… Yes, clearly I’m so inept I don’t know how to set it up! The fact that the backplate is too flexy (MRP and E13 aren’t) so once the chain decides it’s coming off it just bends it, and the guide is a fraction too wide (it looks like it’s been designed for 1/8th chains not 3/32) has nothing to do with it… It’s cheap for a reason!

The Gussett one that charlie the bikemonger points to (which Superstar also sell for £10 cheaper) is even worse than useless. I broke my MRP the day before Mayhem (my own fault, not the devices) and my friend lent me one of those to get me round. It was so crap I took it off… I’d actually rather just have to put the chain back on every couple of miles with no device than stop that piece of crap jamming every 2 minutes!

It might be useful (if your gonna state your opinion as fact) to mention which superstar guide are you referring to. Their plasma guide has top and bottom guides. Mine was easy to fit, very keenly priced and has been faultless. I’d say it’s up to the job and works as well as the e13/mrp/straitline products you rate so highly.

Sorry, no experience of the Plasma myself. I was referring to the XCR (and its variants) top only guides.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It’s a pretty common question. “Do I need something to prevent <insert problem here> even though I don’t actually suffer from that problem?”

If you’ve found that your chain doesn’t fall off when doing your style of riding, you don’t need a chain device.

honourablegeorge

stilltortoise – Member

It’s a pretty common question. “Do I need something to prevent <insert problem here> even though I don’t actually suffer from that problem?”

If you’ve found that your chain doesn’t fall off when doing your style of riding, you don’t need a chain device.

No, that’s not the question at all.

Your chain not falling off when there’s a front derailleur and big ring to keep it in place is an entirely different proposition to 1×9

“Do I need a chain device if I remove some of the things that currently hold my chain in place?” is the question.

“Yes, unless your riding involves only mincing along on flat ground” is the answer.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Based on the OP that’s exactly the question:

I’ve just set my cotic soul up as a 1×9 after having a double and bash for a while. I’ve been for a quick blast down some stairs and rooted descents with no sign of the chain coming off.

So the OP has already gone 1 x 9 and his chain isn’t falling off. Does he need a chain device? Based on the evidence, no.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

After a few rides I have to agree that back pedalling became an issue. It’s inevitable and I did drop the chain a few times because of it. This is what I bodged to remedy it and so far so good.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘1×9 is a chain guide really necessary?’ is closed to new replies.