Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 1×9 chain devices?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

other than the MRP one for £40 is there anything cheeper?

I'm going lightweight so don't want the added weight of a bashguard, and want something neater than a front mech.

afrothunder88

Ngear Jumpstop? Deda Dog fang? I know the dog fang can be had for less than £7 on eBay but I dont know how effective it is.

e13 do one also I think, but from memory thats about £35

tinsy
    Free Member

jump stop and bash work faultlessly, but it adds up to a similar price…

Keva
    Free Member

MRP stuff looks 'orrible.

Ngear jump stop & bashguard on ma 1×9 bike.

poppa
    Free Member

I don't mind the MRP looks and it is lighter than having a bash. If you are running 32-34 teeth you probably don't need a bash anyway.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I put this on the other day:

Fills the criteria except for price.

akira

Superstar one on my hardtail, got it cos it was cheap, probably not the lightest on the market but it works.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

considdered superstar, but I don't need a chain device, just a replacement for the front mech.

Might get a DMR one as they'r only £14 and I wont notice a few grams over the MRP version.

Running 34-36t, and I do need a chain device, I went 1×8 about 6 years ago so know all the pitfalls, so will have it right first time this time arround. The only ride I ever went without a chain device was arround south derbyshire which is hardly rocky, still lost the chain 3-4 times over jumps etc.

akira

'but I don't need a chain device….and I do need a chain device'
    Confused!
    Never tried the replacement front mech type things but they obviously aren't going to be as good as a proper chain device but will be lighter.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Never tried the replacement front mech type things but they obviously aren't going to be as good as a proper chain device but will be lighter.

Well no, but going to be just as good as a front mech and better than nothing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

unless you're back pedaling (which is a bad habbit) the chain should never come off from the bottom anyway

timbur
    Free Member

Oh it does TINAS. My commuter was a 1×9 and the slightest jump in the trail/path threw the chain.

PAUL does a rather nice one :O) (not cheap though)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really?

How?
    I lost the lower roller off my speedguide and even in the peaks it didnt come off very often. And it never came off on the 1×9 commuter. Unless your back pedaling there isn't the oppertunity for the chain to work its way off.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

here isn't the oppertunity for the chain to work its way off.

what about bouncing around and the rear mech extends forwards creating slack and hey presto – off it goes…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but the chain would have to twist off the teeth, which could only be the last few, and as your pedaling those last few teath are contantly being replaced with others which are engaged with the chain.

It would have to be a very bizzare impact to wobble the chain off the entire way arround the chainring.

timbur
    Free Member

Bouncing when pedaling throws it. I know, it boiled my piss for weeks till I refitted the front mech and set it as a chain device.

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

I've just fitted this and it works great, easy to fit and very light. About £40 though.

ajantom

This topic seems to be popular at the moment! Does no-one use the search function? 😆

Pauls Chain Keeper – about £30:

Before – the chain dropped every ride.

After – hasn't come off since…..and it looks nice and understated.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does no-one use the search function

have you tried lately, its impossible!

househusband

What ajantom recommends!

It is superb – bit more than £30 at the moment. Had the MRP 1.x before and in my opinion is overpriced, underperforming and poorly made; the soft alloy bolts rounded off in no time. The Chain Keeper is robust, far more aesthetic, and copes superbly with mud – the MRP didn't.

Also agree that the N-Gear JS and bash are also good; ran that before the MRP, which I promptly sold once I'd found a Chain Keeper.

Brycey
    Free Member

I take it the chain keeper is like the e13 and MRP1X and clamps between the BB and BB shell; in fact is that how they mount?

Mackem

Are you sure you need one? I manage fine without.

househusband

I take it the chain keeper is like the e13 and MRP1X and clamps between the BB and BB shell; in fact is that how they mount?

Nope, little in common with them. Clamps to the seat tube: http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

SOmeone has started making an inner and outer bashguard thing, that's what I would go for. Haven't got any more details though I'm afraid…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘1×9 chain devices?’ is closed to new replies.