Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 1×9
  • chris-p
    Free Member

My chainrings on my XT triple need replacing and looking at the price i am wondering if i should go 1×9. I am riding a Giant Anthem X mainly xc racing and local trails with an 11 32 rear block. Having always had a double or triple I am looking for advice before deciding either way.

wwaswas

I’ve gone triple with a 36 front and 11 32 rear on 9 speed.

I think if it was a bike I did long days on I’d go for a 34 at the front.

You will need a new front ring plus some sort of chain device so you may find a set of triple rings aren’t much different in price?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Try riding your trails in the middle ring only see if you can manage. me I need gears from 22/34 granny to 36 / 11 top to cope with my riding style / fitness / terrain

You could always just put cheap chainrings on. Deore work wll

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve gone triple with a 36 front and 11 32 rear on 9 speed.

Assume you mean single? 😕

I run 36t with an 11-36 1×10 for racing, and love it. Not sure I’d be as keen with an 11-32 block though, more limiting.

Paceman
    Free Member

Try riding your trails in the middle ring only see if you can manage it.

Do this.

wwaswas

yes, single sorry…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have gone 1×9 and wouldn’t go back.

Even for big days in the Lakes it’s fine. I run a 32 ring and 11-34 though. I tried a 34 ring and 11-32 but it wasn’t low enough for the really steep stuff.

parling
    Free Member

I’ve thought about 1×9 recently mainly riding peaks which has some steep bits would a 32 front and 11×34 at back be enough to get me to top and the to bottom,

kayak23

I have a 1×9 setup. I use a 32t at the front and a 12-36t at the back, but then I’m pushing a burly 6″ bike and I don’t ride xc enough to be super-fit. Well, thats my excuse anyway…

njee20
    Free Member

would a 32 front and 11×34 at back be enough to get me to top and the to bottom,

How are we supposed to know?!

I’m thinking of buying some size 43 shoes, will they fit?

parling
    Free Member

njee20 people may no if that set up would be a struggle to ride up anything steep.

Shoe analogy not incredibly helpful.

phatstanley
    Free Member

njee20 people may no if that set up would be a struggle to ride up anything steep.

well…one person’s ‘steep’ is another person’s medium gradient. you only need to look at any drops/jumps thread to see the wide range of perceptions and experiences on here.

messiah
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure if it would work for where and how I ride but I decided to try it anyway… and I can report that it mostly works but sometimes doesn’t… but I like it anyway… ymmv etc.

As a friend of mine once said… the only way to trully know you don’t like man love is to try it… 😳

Speshpaul

32/11 x 32 on the hard tail, i just stopped using the 22/44 for a while and then ditched them.
    What you could do is ditch the front mech and shifter but leave the 22 ring on. If you get in to trouble and need a get up/home for free card you could shift by hand.

chiefgrooveguru

Works for me – easy enough to test by leaving your bike in the middle ring for a few weeks of riding.

PaulD
    Free Member

+1 for Speshpaul’s comment.

Use your heel to kick-down.

If you do not use it in a few rides, remove it.

Simples and cheap.

PaulD

IA

People singlespeed fine. 1×9 will be/is fine.

Sometimes you just have to summon the power of grayskull/strength of the bear (delete as applicable) to get up something, mostly it’s fine. But it does entirely depend on your personal level of fitness and strength.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve never had to walk anything that I could’ve ridden with a smaller chainring. In fact I’ve not had to walk anything since going 1×10. Won’t be the case for everyone though, hence my shoe analogy.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Sometimes you just have to summon the power of grayskull/strength of the bear (delete as applicable) to get up something, mostly it’s fine. But it does entirely depend on your personal level of fitness and strength.

…and the length of the climb. I can get up pretty much anything on 1×9 that I could with a granny but longer climbs become quite a bit harder. So terrain is an issue.

Aristotle
    Free Member

34 chainring & 34-11 cassette here on my light-ish short-forked hardtail.

Fine for most things.

I used to singlespeed (2:1) the same bike back up some long, steep hills when I was fitter, so a mere 1:1 feels fine in most situations.

I do have the same plus a granny ring fitted my heavy full-susser.

miketually
    Free Member

Back In the Day™, a typical granny gear was a 28:28. I rode steep stuff on that when I was a teenager.

As long as your biggest sprocket matches your chainring, you should be able to ride almost anything.

djflexure

miketually – Member

Back In the Day™, a typical granny gear was a 28:28. I rode steep stuff on that when I was a teenager.

As long as your biggest sprocket matches your chainring, you should be able to ride almost anything

I have found this to be true

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘1×9’ is closed to new replies.