Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • 1×11?
  • packer
    Free Member

… with chainrings in sizes 28/30/32/34/36/38

boriselbrus
    Free Member

OK, the “11” bit will be heavier than “10”, obviously if you already use 1×10 then adding an extra sprocket to the cassette will make it heavier, just as 1×10 is heavier than 1×9.

And I have NEVER dropped the chain on a MTB (apart from when I ran 1×9 without a chain guide) despite running a triple with no chain guide, despite regular trips to the Lakes/Peaks, Scottish Highlands etc. They have quite a few rocks there which I’m quite fond of riding over. Maybe I’ve been very lucky or maybe the force is strong with me, or maybe putting the chain on the 44t ring before I start descending helps. I honestly don’t know, but I don’t exactly crawl down at walking pace…

TBH I can understand single chain ring setups, but I still don’t get 2×10 as in most cases you lose a 22t granny ring* for a 36t rear sprocket, which makes it heavier and puts the weight on the unsprung rear axle, then you have to make more recovery shifts when you change chainrings as the gap between them is bigger than on a triple.

Anyway, if you’re happy with your gear setup and enjoy your riding then whatever you run is good isn’t it. 😀

*Yes I know you change the size of the other rings as well.

njee20
    Free Member

Even accounting for an extra sprocket that’s far wider gaps than the 10 speed 11-36. Hmmm….

So those for whom 1×10 is great, but who would choose a slightly wider range are shafted? Bugger.

Edit: From the BR article:

So you hit a bump today and you’ve got your chain mass and your derailleur mass. It can actually activate the parallelogram and cause ghost shifting. If you add a clutch to that and you’ve really significantly stopped that force, you’ve actually added to the potential for ghost shifting.

Read: our 10 speed mechs are crap, you need this instead 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Read: our 10 speed mechs are crap, you need this instead

I thought that, but it’s not something I’ve noticed in practice, probably because in situations where the chains clattering enough to cause a ghost shift then I’m not pedaling?

Also, with a big 42t cassette ring the parralelogram would be much more vertical, which would make the problem much much worse as the chains oscilating in the direction the mech moves to shift? I can see the appeal for XC though for that kind of mech ona normal sized cassette, where you might be pedaling hard over a rocky climb, but for enduro (which this seems to be aimed at) there tends to be less fast technical climbing and more need for a ‘normal’ sized cassette + a bail out gear for the linking stages.

messiah
    Free Member

Thinking more about this… what I do like about the HammerSchmidt is that you can dump/grab a load of gears quickly. That will not be so easy when you have to shift across a load of sprockets to achieve the same result… and turn the cranks at the same time.

packer
    Free Member

Yeah I wish they would come out with a Hammerschmidt Mk2 – it’s a great idea and is worthy of further development.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I can’t figure it out from the descriptions – does this need a new hub as well?

njee20
    Free Member

Sort of, it needs a new freehub body, SRAM and DT Swiss are doing them, so you’ll be able to retrofit your wheels if they use those hubs.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I BET Shimano come out with a different “standard” to achieve the same thing.

Hopefully Hope Pro 2’s will have an adapter for both!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Magnetic chainring teeth? Really?

That’s a cool idea!

And those teeth do look a bit stuck on.

I still reckon it’s just a way of making them wider to hold the chain better, after all it the side to side wobble that derails it so if you make the chaininring thick enough to hold it perfectly straight it can’t come off?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I BET Shimano come out with a different “standard” to achieve the same thing.

Hopefully Hope Pro 2’s will have an adapter for both!

Probably, but I still reckon it’ll be a niche thing with similar (maybe a little more due to it acutlay being different rather than just lighter) popularity to XX, i.e. you might know one person who has it on a trail bike, then see loads of people at races with it.

IHN

I think you’re all missing the point that, mounted on a rohloff hub, with a triple chainset on a hammerschmidt, this could provide *thinks…* 924 gears. Cool 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think you’re all missing the point that, mounted on a rohloff hub, with a triple chainset on a hammerschmidt, this could provide *thinks…* 924 gears. Cool

Anyone remember the 3x3x9 DMR switchback one ebay agaes ago? Used a SRAM 3x hub on a 3×9 drivetrain.

Wwhich begs the question, what happend to the SRAM 3x hubs?

thepodge
    Free Member

More development into hub gears please

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

More development into hub gears please

Surely these are the final throws of the dice for any kind of rear hub based shifitng, can’t be long now before someone more mainstream (read: cheeper) than Nicolai makes a gearbox driven bike?

thepodge
    Free Member

Ok, more development into gearboxes then please.

packer
    Free Member

No need – Pinion have got it sorted I reckon. Once someone other than nicolai starts making compatible frames then the cost will be realistic.

thepodge
    Free Member

Someone other than Nicolai is but I forget who. The pinion one looks good but a bit of market competition would be good to drive prices and development. Plus I’d much prefer something I can retrofit to any frame.

It’s just like discs, loads of people made them with various standards and quality and success but then shimano did it better and cheaper.

packer
    Free Member

There’s a full list of frame manufactures who are doing Pinion models here:
    http://pinion.eu/discover-pinion/partners/

They are all pretty expensive brands. I’ll wait until On-One do one i think 🙂

Can’t see Shimano coming out with anything like that for at least 5-10 years. I’m sure they will one day though.

glacier79
    Free Member

Don’t they know there’s a recession on?

packer
    Free Member

I just checked out the price of an XX cassette to get an idea of how much this will cost… 😯 ❗ 😯

thepodge
    Free Member

Shimano already do the alfine and nexus range, it wouldn’t be a huge leap to a gearbox.

messiah
    Free Member

I wonder if this hub will be able to take a modified XX1 cassette?

Kappius Components

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/sea-otter-2012-kappius-components-show-evolution-hubs-33835/

Or perhaps these guys will get together and redesign the rear hub and cassette to suit the 21st century???

Instant engagement, light weight, and robust design… promises promises.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t get that Kappius hub. Silly money and even if they do the modified XX freehub body thing it saves what, 4g?

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    More expensive? Yes, probably, although one less shifter, mech and chainring. ‘Plain’ rings are dirt cheap too compared to ramped multi-rings, dunno about this ‘special’ one though.

The big S’s will release new high end groupos and make bits of them cheap?

Harder to index? It’s one mech, with one button for ‘up’ and one for ‘down’, the fact there are 11 will make it no harder to do, by not needing to do a front mech as well it will be far simpler. Fewer moving parts/pivots/rings getting worn. Makes sense.

11 speed vs 10 speed = narrower gaps, harder to index as accurately, same as 7/8 vs 6, 9 vs 7/8 simples.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘1×11?’ is closed to new replies.